PDA

View Full Version : Gutted!!!!!!

claire'scherubs
23-10-2010, 04:07 PM
I have been looking after 2 after schoolies for a temporary period of 6 weeks and the parents, particularly Mum have been a little unpredictable to say the least. Children have been late being dropped off and money has been all over the place!!!! ie late, half now and half later.
Then they asked if I would continue the contract. SO I gave it some thought and agreed to continue on the following terms.
A minimum charge for each week to be paid by standing order into my bank account on a Monday, I introduced a late payment policy and asked for a further 4 week settling in period. I also asked for all the forms and payment that was due to me for 2 weeks ago was to be paid immediately. After a few texts back and forth we finally get the truth......they were skint!!!!!
Mum has started a new job had to pay out a load of expenses for going backwards and forwards to her training venue. All this I can understand as have worked in retail and do know how it all works, so she asked if she could bring forms back and the money outstanding today. I relented and agreed, telling her to post it through the door as I would not be in all day (Saturday).
Even though she had not read my letter she was willing to agree to all the terms of the new contract:panic:
Well lo and behold I had returned home to find the forms but the money is short by £20!!!!!
I know its only £20 and yes my costs have been covered. But is this really how its going to be?
Thing is I have been this soilder once myself and been absolutely skint so can sympathise but should I?
Sorry for the rant, writing it here I thought may clear my thoughts. Half of me is saying been there done that, no how you are feeling and perhaps she hasn't be paid yet and things will get better. And then the other 'business' side of me is saying don't even bother wasting the paper and ink writing the new contract because it isnt worth the hassle:(

Really don't know what to do:huh:

sarah707
23-10-2010, 04:39 PM
You know how it's going to be every month... can you cope with it? xx

Goatgirl
23-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Hi Claire,
If it was me, I'd ring now saying "Thanks for payment, but its £20 short and I'll need you to come round with it now/today".
Than decide how to go forward depending on the response you get.

They do sound as though they have no real respect for the legal and binding nature of your agreement, so you may get this trouble in the future too, which is no fun. Are you likely to be able to fill these spaces with other children if you let the current family go? Can you afford to let them go witout one more chance?
If not, I'd carry on (providing they DO bring the balance of payment round, on time.) but with a very clear 'get out' written into the contract.

So if you do go with a full binding contract with notice period etc, I'd just make sure you include that you reserve the right to withdraw childcare immediately when there are fees outstanding, and to end the contract with immediate effect, just to cover yourself.

Good luck: this is the horrible side of the job, isn't it?

bws,
Wendy :)

miffy
23-10-2010, 08:43 PM
I agree with Wendy, you need to tell them it's £20 short and ask for payment - if you leave it a few days or let it go they will just think it's OK to do this again next time.

Only you can decide if you think it's worth all the hassle

Miffy xx

claire'scherubs
23-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the responses and I have decided to ring her on Monday, its my weekend for me and the kids and I refuse to ring her until then. I will ask her for the monies Monday and ask how ofter I can expect this to happen. Thanks again xx