PDA

View Full Version : Gifts for Parents

patevans
23-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Do you make gifts for parents? if so what will you be making this year? I did soap and keyrings and a couple of other things last year, cant rememeber what we did the year before.

rickysmiths
23-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Yes we do. We do Mothering Sunday, Fathers Day and Christmas.

Last year for Christmas we made Spriced Christmas Biscuits and put them in cellophane bags. The year before we made Chocolate Truffles. We have made Pomanders using Tangerines instead of Oranges so the little ones don't have so many cloves to stick in. :laughing:

Hebs
23-10-2010, 03:46 PM
yes,

in fact on thursday we are off to the local pottery shop to paint a pottery item (of their choosing) to give to parents at chiristmas, as it needs to be kilned etc so didnt want to leave it too close to christmas :D

Chatterbox Childcare
23-10-2010, 06:09 PM
I have small ones this year so we are making Cinnamon Dough Rings and then cookies on 23rd

Happy Bunny
23-10-2010, 07:57 PM
One year i got some free carpet samples and the kids painted a design on them.
Have done truffles in a nice painted box.
Made a calender up using photos of the kids.
Older ones have made ear rings, necklaces, painted jewellry boxes.

This year we are going to do photo key rings and wind chimes.

FizzysFriends
23-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Yes, no idea what Im doing this year though, helps doesn't it, lol.

Chimps Childminding
23-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Fraid not :blush: We made gifts for Mother's Day and Father's Day, together with cards and never got as much as a thank you from the parents, so not going to bother with Christmas:(

miffy
23-10-2010, 08:25 PM
We'll be doing lots of crafty things - whether they decide to give them as presents or keep them for themselves is up to them

Miffy xx

glitzygal
23-10-2010, 10:28 PM
last year each child made their own christmas cakes, mixed it all, i did cooking,, then they iced it,,(wat a great mess):laughing:
then i had bought couple of things to put on top, wrapped in celophane, ribbon and a tag.,., (but sent them home on last day of minding, not a text to say thank u, untill i had to ASK if they had eaten the cakes, when the children came back in january, :mad: :mad:

but as they say its not what you get it is the , making it that counts.,
the children enjoyed making it and best of all i enjoyed it and the fun we had, the giggling children was the best present :clapping: :jump for joy:

I am making them again
we did do other stuff but that is what i remember the most.

gigglinggoblin
24-10-2010, 09:22 AM
yes,

in fact on thursday we are off to the local pottery shop to paint a pottery item (of their choosing) to give to parents at chiristmas, as it needs to be kilned etc so didnt want to leave it too close to christmas :D

Thats very generous of you! I am doing porcelain painting at home which is more like 60p per mug, hope they appreciate you!

All sorts of craft stuff can be made into gifts, get some nice paper bags for the kids to draw on for wrapping paper, we do lots of hand anf feet print cards for various stuff. Planning on making some indian sweets for diwali, crafty crocodile have some lovely cheap plain bags to fabric paint on which are nice for xmas, book marks made of that magical scratchy paper stuff, painted mugs, plates etc, painted glass candle holders, love the clementine pomander idea

Hebs
24-10-2010, 09:34 AM
we did mugs last year and the parents loved them :thumbsup:

just looking for something a bit different this year, and all my current parents are fab so i don't really mind :D

Dragonfly
24-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Debbie, what are cinnamon dough rings if you dont mind me asking?

Mouse
24-10-2010, 08:14 PM
I've got little ones this year, so I've bought blank canvasses for them to get creative on!

They'll splash about with paint (brushes, rollers, hands etc) and we'll just see what lands on the canvas. When they're dry I'll spread glue on them & give the children bits to stick on. It'll be hit & miss what makes it onto the canvas, but that's part of the fun of it! Every picture will definitely be origional!

mummyof3
24-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Last Christmas we decorated candles and the glass holders (older children) younger ones I did photos inside snow globes. Not ONE parent looked happy at their creations and one even dropped it on the drive and it smashed everywhere!! :angry:

This year I'm not sure what we are doing I was thinking maybe salt dough xmas tree decorations or Christmas biscuits.

mummyof3
24-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Fraid not :blush: We made gifts for Mother's Day and Father's Day, together with cards and never got as much as a thank you from the parents, so not going to bother with Christmas:(

Know exactly how you feel! :angry:

gigglinggoblin
24-10-2010, 10:20 PM
Last Christmas we decorated candles and the glass holders (older children) younger ones I did photos inside snow globes. Not ONE parent looked happy at their creations and one even dropped it on the drive and it smashed everywhere!! :angry:

that is so sad, my kids are always so excited and proud when they make anything for me, I cant imagine not being pleased to receive something they have put so much love into.

I think I am really lucky with my parents, but then I also cant imagine not being pushy about how fab the kids are if they tried not to acknowledge a present. Is that a bad attitude?

linzi133
15-11-2010, 04:01 PM
Oooo dough rings sound interesting.......please tell us more!

I have 2 babies so can't really do much with them.....although any ideas are gratefully accepted!
With my 4 year old we are going to be very busy making tree decorations and sweets as well as a candle holder. Bless her she comes in and says what am i making today!

Tinks
16-11-2010, 09:38 PM

Yes I have had that too, one mindee made mummy a special birthday present, and no thanks or nothing, never mentioned! But the kids enjoy doing it and giving it to mummy and daddy, so I will be doing it....for the sake of my mindees and not the parents!!!!

Chatterbox Childcare
17-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Debbie, what are cinnamon dough rings if you dont mind me asking?

Here is the idea

pillows
17-11-2010, 03:13 PM
Here is the idea

thanks very much sounds great ..will def have a go at these i love the smell of christmas etc x

georgie456
18-11-2010, 11:24 AM
For parents Christmas gifts, I always buy some plain white cake boxes from ebay and we fill them with pretty tissue paper, and put in lots of home made treats and biscuits made by the children.
The boxes arrive flat so the children can decorate them first. Last year they made coconut ice, truffles, chocolate shards, cookies and biscuits. They always go down well :)

Dragonfly
18-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Thanks debbie26, same recipe as I done for christmas decorations they are brillant and smell lovely::)

gegele
18-11-2010, 07:02 PM
last year i done glitery bottle for younger ones, a hand prints on small canvas for all parents, 1 tree decoration, and put the lot in a shoes boxe decorated. they al loves it, this year i have wooden tree decoration to be painted with a picture of kid inside, smelly tree decoration, an other handprint canvas because they're cheap and great to check difference in kids, maybe a picture frame...:thumbsup:

miss mopple
18-11-2010, 07:24 PM
I've bought plain votive holders for them to decorate this year. The older ones can use glass paints and the littlies stickers and gems, and I'll pop a nice scented yankee candle in each. Have also got little wooden flower picture frames we may do :)

fiona
18-11-2010, 08:30 PM
we have made salt dough tree decorations that we have sent to grandparents, and for parents i took all my little people to Potz and they painted a wall plate with hands and feet! one per family we also done calenders and cookies. :laughing:

sandy64
20-11-2010, 03:06 PM
hi some great ideas may have to try debbies recipe sounds cool and will also do the calender, i have 2, 3yr olds and a 18 mth old so will do lots of decorations ie tree, baubles stars and a card but think i will do pepper mint creams as there easy. last year i bought felt stockings from tesco for 30p each. got lo to decorate them and put some of there crafts in it and then put a lolly in with some sweets and any prizes they had won at our xmas party. any ideas for cards this year??:) cant believe christmas is so close

ZoeAlli
20-11-2010, 06:16 PM
I have 2 babies so can't really do much with them.....although any ideas are gratefully accepted!With my 4 year old we are going to be very busy making tree decorations and sweets as well as a candle holder. Bless her she comes in and says what am i making today![/QUOTE]

You could do handprints on canvas, like gegele has done.
Handprints on calendars for next year.
you could press their hands gently into bakeable dough with name & date on.
Have a look on DLTK, they have some nice ideas for lo's (you just may have to do a bit of putting together for the babies),
http://www.dltk-holidays.com/xmas/gifts.htm
:)

maisiemog
22-11-2010, 09:28 PM
We've already started as some of my mindees only come a couple of hrs a week. We've done handprints into clay....far cheaper than those sets you can buy! Also painted mugs at home....nice and cheap and they've LOVED them.

Next week we're doing salt dough decorations and christmas cards.

I think that the week before Christmas we will be making peppermint creams and biscuits.

Thankfully I think all the parents of my mindees would appreciate all the things we make. I hope so anyway! They've all worked really hard on them and put so much love into them!

michellethegooner
24-11-2010, 12:52 AM
think we will be making these, thank u for sharing, :thumbsup:

It's a small world
27-11-2010, 06:52 PM
We are handprinting on tea towels....

Also doing lots of decorations for tree, snow globes and much more...hope mum has lots of room !!!

Older children made tile coasters with their own design..:clapping:

keeks
27-11-2010, 07:44 PM
Here is the idea

Thank you Debbie, that sounds lovely! If I get time I'll do them at nursery too.

xx

Gizmo
27-11-2010, 07:52 PM
Last year I gave parents calendars with kiddies pics on, parents loved them we made salt dough decorations as well, have a wide age mix this year 10 mths - 10 years and I would like to get something to suit all :D

SYLVIA
27-11-2010, 10:06 PM
we made calanders last year, each month was on a separate sheet that fitted in a cd case and had a piece of the child's art work on. And the year before that I made all the parents cry apparently as I gave them a portrait of their child drawn by my daughter.
This year we are make xmas wreaths

hollyoaksmad
27-11-2010, 10:20 PM
Last year I gave parents calendars with kiddies pics on, parents loved them we made salt dough decorations as well, have a wide age mix this year 10 mths - 10 years and I would like to get something to suit all :D

where did you get the blank calenders from?xx

teacake2
27-11-2010, 10:33 PM
I don't know what we are going to do yet, leaving it a bit late I know, but the problem is my little ones are just not interested in doing anything craft wise at all and it takes ages to even get them to do a picture so it will have to be something really easy, I like the idea of hand and foot prints in clay, they might agree to do this.:( :(
Teacake2

It's a small world
13-12-2010, 02:04 PM
we did mugs last year and the parents loved them :thumbsup:

just looking for something a bit different this year, and all my current parents are fab so i don't really mind :D

did you decorate them yourselves or go to a shop? What did you use to decorate?

Chatterbox Childcare
14-12-2010, 12:36 PM
I've bought plain votive holders for them to decorate this year. The older ones can use glass paints and the littlies stickers and gems, and I'll pop a nice scented yankee candle in each. Have also got little wooden flower picture frames we may do :)

I did the candle decoration years ago and they looked fab, we made out own candles too with the older ones.

shelly2012
14-12-2010, 12:44 PM
We will be making some sort of home baking

theplayroom
14-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Here is the idea

no flour?....

It's a small world
25-11-2011, 05:46 PM
I have small ones this year so we are making Cinnamon Dough Rings and then cookies on 23rd

These sound good. When would you make them ? week before Xmas ( I finish Friday before Xmas x)

Toothfairy
27-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Cinnamon dough rings sound fab, defo going to have a go at them :thumbsup:

Monkey26
27-11-2011, 06:36 PM
I bought some cheap canvus' from The Range (4 for £5) and gave the kids autumn colour paints and sparkle bits and let them go crazy for an hour. They look fab and are currently hanging in my kitchen - part of me doesn't want to wrap and send them home haha!
We will also do the usual christmas baking, decorating biscuits, glittery cards etc over the next few weeks and it will all go home on the last day :) xx

mrs coops
27-11-2011, 07:51 PM
If you did teatowels with handprints how can you make sure it dosen't wash out?