PDA

View Full Version : can i choose how to be paid

nelly
23-10-2010, 07:42 AM
hi everyone,i have parents that pay me by cheque and its a pain because it means i have to make a trip to the bank to put it in and our bank isnt local anymore also the bank has noticed that im putting work cheques in and they said i have to open a business account which i really dont want to do.can i tell the parents cash only.
thanks nelly x

miss mopple
23-10-2010, 07:54 AM
Its your business so of course you can, but I think you may have to expect some delayed payments if you insist on cash as I doubt many people would be organised enough to remember to draw it. Could you ask them to do a direct bank transfer? All my parents find that easiest :thumbsup:

nelly
23-10-2010, 08:02 AM
thanks never thought of that ,bit worried about giving my bank details out tho xx

sarah707
23-10-2010, 08:07 AM
I don't accept cheques any more because I don't want to stand in the very long post office queue!!

I accept cash, bank transfer or vouchers.

Most of my parents choose bank transfer but I have to offer other methods because otherwise it would not be inclusive to people who maybe don't have access to a computer... equally if I said just cash I wouldn't be inclusive to families who maybe don't drive or can't get to a bank during the week easily.

I would say try and offer a range of payment options :D

Hebs
23-10-2010, 08:13 AM
i dont take cheques either

singlewiththree
23-10-2010, 08:35 AM
I'm considering no cheques as just had another bounce on me! Which then leaves me without while the parents transfer the money!

angeldelight
23-10-2010, 08:37 AM
Your business, your rules

Do what suits you and parents will have to get themselves orgainised

Good luck

Angel xxx

Mouse
23-10-2010, 08:42 AM
I do accept cheques, but only because my son is in town everyday at college, so can easily pay them in for me. If he couldn't I wouldn't accept them as I can't easily get to the bank myself.

I accept cash, cheque, bank transfer & vouchers.

As the others have said, it's your business, so if you don't want to accept cheques, tell parents that.

wellybelly
23-10-2010, 08:54 AM
It's your business so you can state the rules.

I had problems with cheques in the past and hasd to enforce that parents who did pay by cheque, paid it in enough time to clear before it was due. They soon changed to cash.

My bank did exactly the same to me so I moved to the post office and tend to go in and pay things in the afternoon when it's quieter.

I think cheques are slowly being phased out anyway as a lot of establishments are refusing them. Don't feel bad to request a different methof od payment, it's your business.

amanda1309
23-10-2010, 09:29 AM
I have just stopped taking cheques and all my parents were fine with it.

I accept cash, bank transfers and vouchers.

clio0602
23-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Hmm cheques are a pain but not really sure how one set of parents would take it. Surely a bank transfer is easier anyway x

loocyloo
25-10-2010, 07:37 AM
i have one set of parents that can't seem to cope with internet banking, despite being internet whizzes! they also drop the cheque off on the last day its due, so its never in my bank on time BUT they do pay every month without fail and never quibble about the invoice, so i decided to just go with it!

once i've moved and have new children & parents i am going to request bank transfers, vouchers or cash only!

x

oneofeach
25-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Course you can decide, its your business.

:D