PDA

View Full Version : Is this ok? What do you think?

Tippy Toes
22-10-2010, 11:35 AM
I currently have two set of parents who pay monthly on the 1st of the month for the month ahead.

Problem is when the 1st falls on a weekend I dont get paid until the next working day so sometimes the payment is 2 days late. (This parent pays by STD)

It is also a problem if the 1st falls on a bank hol.

Another parent is a teacher and does not pay for half term etc but I always have to chase for the payment whicg is due on the 1st.

Last time parent turned up £60 short and just said sorry will get it to you later, but does not seem to understand I need to get it into the bank on the 1st! So if she pays evening time im not getting it into the bank until the next day! Arggghh.

Anyway I have been thinking of changing the payment date to the 24th of the month to ensure payments are received by the 1st of the month, what do you think? Is this ok? Or too early?

I just dont want the stress of having to chase parents for payments or worrying that payments are going to be late as therefore my bills not paid!

Comment and ideas welcome please, thankyou :)

candy cat
22-10-2010, 11:51 AM
I am sending my invioces out now and I have at the bottom to be in my account by the 1st.......write in the communication books that you have to to have money in your account by the first.....the teacher still has no excuse she can still pay on time....mine all do bank transfer as I prefer that....be honest you have bills to pay and direct debits to pay and say any late payments from now on will be charged! good luck cx

candy cat
22-10-2010, 11:55 AM
p.s maybe try and change dd's by a week that way you if they pay by the 1st you have a bit of leeway....most people don't get pay until 24th -end of month so i think 1st is a fair date and less confusing as start of new month.

gazanne
22-10-2010, 12:05 PM
I always used to get paid on the 28th so if had to pay childcare on the 24th it would of been difficult. I dont know about anyone else but I was always skint for the last week. You may find yourself still getting late payments.

Penny1959
22-10-2010, 12:48 PM
I offer my parents a choice - cheques 14 days before end of month OR cash / instant transfer on 1st of month. Money has to be in bank on 1st.

However having read your post - I am now thinking of changing to money in my account by 28th of month (because of Feb) - not had the problem yet but can see it will happen.

Penny :)

The Juggler
22-10-2010, 12:53 PM
This seems odd as I can do an internet transfer to my husband or friends on the weekend, it hits their account 2 hours later. If the SO is not working they need to action a payment each month instead. I think you should do a letter/newsletter reminder that

'Recently several payments have not been clearing my account until the 3rd of 4th of the month in which they are due. Please note that payments are due on 1st of every month. This means the money needs to clear my bank account on that date. If your bank is unable to process the transaction on 1st of month due to weekends, bank holidays please ensure the payment is processed earlier than the 1st so that it still reaches my bank account on 1st of month. Unfortunately, I have incurred bank charges due to these late payments and in order to cover these costs in the future, I will be introducing a late fee of £5/day from next month'.

bexcee
22-10-2010, 01:11 PM
This seems odd as I can do an internet transfer to my husband or friends on the weekend, it hits their account 2 hours later. If the SO is not working they need to action a payment each month instead. I think you should do a letter/newsletter reminder that

'Recently several payments have not been clearing my account until the 3rd of 4th of the month in which they are due. Please note that payments are due on 1st of every month. This means the money needs to clear my bank account on that date. If your bank is unable to process the transaction on 1st of month due to weekends, bank holidays please ensure the payment is processed earlier than the 1st so that it still reaches my bank account on 1st of month. Unfortunately, I have incurred bank charges due to these late payments and in order to cover these costs in the future, I will be introducing a late fee of £5/day from next month'.

Well worded - polite yet firm :)

Chatterbox Childcare
22-10-2010, 01:12 PM
I know that you want to change it but what if the parent doesn't get paid until 28th onwards which alot are?

mandy moo
22-10-2010, 01:13 PM
One of my parents banks with the Santander group, that takes 2 days to clear!!

I have nowstarted putting this statment on the bottom of all parents bills to the effect that as per conract I am paid on the 1st of each month,
If paying by cheque, it needs to be paid in 5 working days before due date,
If by BAC's and thro the Santander Group, 2 working days before,
Childcare vouchers 2 working days before.
Had no comments from parents with re to statment :)

Daftbat
22-10-2010, 04:31 PM
I wonder if it might be easier to get in touch with the people who YOU pay on the first and get an ammendment to the date your bills go out. Most mortgage companies etc will be happy to change the date to accomodate just this type of thing and then it won't matter.

funemnx
22-10-2010, 06:20 PM
My invoices are due on the last day of the month but with experience I set all my Direct Debits for the 15th of each month just to make sure that I've been paid by then. My parents, on the whole are great and I often get paid early but there's always somebody who'll pay a week late. At least it gives me a chance to make sure enough is in my account for the bills

aly
22-10-2010, 07:26 PM
I was also going to mention about people not getting paid til end of month...if you want it say the week before it will be very difficult.