PDA

View Full Version : Speech Therapy - can anyone reccommend resources please?

Tinglesnark
22-10-2010, 07:40 AM
Ds1 is a "back talker" and is struggling to to pronounce words - mainly 'p' words. Appaz, the speech therapy classes have quite a waiting list so i want to get cracking and teach him myself.

I wonder if there are any workbooks, text books, online resources etc that anyone could reccommend?

thanks in advance :D

i want to get my boy up to speed before he starts school next september

xxx

thanks

xxx

funfunfun
22-10-2010, 07:45 AM
my lo had speech therapy

the played with toys with him during the sessions and focused on saying words so that he could hear the sound over and over ............then mayb repeat it if her could .

I then made various basicflash cards ............items of clothes , transport , animals bought various toys to go with them then moved onto action cards with clear pictures things like "jumping" "running " It was the ING on the end with my lo !

HTH

Tinglesnark
22-10-2010, 07:49 AM
Thanks fun, ill do the flash cards today :D great idea :D

mr man
22-10-2010, 09:01 AM
my daughter had a lot of speech therapy. she spoke through her nose and eveything began with m and n .

we waited for the sessions but felt that her probem was far worse than a half hour session once a week (6 weekly and wait again) , where the thrapist chatted to me for the first 10 minutes. :angry: so with a lot of help from family we got in touch with a private one, only she worked at a hopsital too and was an absolute dream.

anyway - she also had flash cards as mentioned, but these were the very basics of sounds phonics - oo ar ee . and putting these pictues again and had a little mirror to see if the sound was coming out - (the mirror steamed up) my D loved this bit.
she was only young when all this was, and i defianty agree with you to get as much sorted now before school, as my D friends couldn't understand her at first. however her reading was fantastic. i was worried it would ahve an effect , but it didn't. :D

angeldelight
22-10-2010, 09:06 AM
There are some ideas here that you could adapt yourself

http://www.speechtx.com/language/rhymes.htm

http://www.speechdisorder.co.uk/What-Can-Parents-Do-to-Help-their-Childrens-Speech-Therapy.html

http://www.speechteach.co.uk/p_resource/speech/speech_intro.htm

Angel xx

Tinglesnark
22-10-2010, 09:27 AM
thank you angel :)

loocyloo
22-10-2010, 10:01 AM
i mind a LO who has a little speech therapy. he has trouble with 'P' and a few other sounds.

one of the games we play is making the P sound and blowing out a candle at the same time! (only done on one on one or i have this LO and another LO who is older and its our very special game!)

we also do this to blow ping pong balls/bits of tissue paper across the table.

we blow bubbles through the bubble wand and blow bubbles in paint through a straw to make bubble pictures.

the game he loves playing with mummy is having lipstick on and making patterns kissing a piece of paper or best of all the mirror!

have fun.

Tinglesnark
22-10-2010, 10:04 AM
i mind a LO who has a little speech therapy. he has trouble with 'P' and a few other sounds.

one of the games we play is making the P sound and blowing out a candle at the same time! (only done on one on one or i have this LO and another LO who is older and its our very special game!)

we also do this to blow ping pong balls/bits of tissue paper across the table.

we blow bubbles through the bubble wand and blow bubbles in paint through a straw to make bubble pictures.

the game he loves playing with mummy is having lipstick on and making patterns kissing a piece of paper or best of all the mirror!

have fun.

Brill games thank you! ds1 will love all of them, especially the lipstick one!:thumbsup: