PDA

View Full Version : Network Childminder

MissTinkerbell
10-04-2008, 11:51 AM
What is one of these?

My childcare advisor came yesterday and mentioned that with my qualifications and experience in childcare, even tyough I haven't started childminding yet, I should seriously consider going for a network childminder.

He also said that it would give me a hug advantage as there are none in this area.

sarah707
10-04-2008, 01:18 PM
You join a local childminding network, often part of a children's centre... more courses to sit through and i had to do NCMA quality first accreditation as well...

Theoretically there will be lots of support from the network and you might get work etc by being part of a group... :D

Can you tell I am less than impressed with mine?... some are very good though! :rolleyes:

Mollymop
10-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Might be a good thing to do!
Are you going to do it?

MissTinkerbell
10-04-2008, 02:05 PM
At the moment I don't know whether to do it or not. I think that maybe with 2year old twins, a 5 year old and starting childminding is enough to be getting on with at the moment. However I might consider it once Oliver and Rebekah are at preschool in 11 months time.

Have to do a bit more research into where the nearest one is and what it is like - would be good though, I guess.

Gherkin
10-04-2008, 05:01 PM
I am currently trying (without success) to do my Quality Assurance so that I can get on to the Peterborough network. In theory it is easy as I have most of the stuff in my file already in practice it is the time that I need to sit at the computer and print and photocopy for hours....argh.

Apparantly the network here is quite good.

Where in Peterborough are you going to be based?

MissTinkerbell
11-04-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm in Wittering.

You'll have to keep me posted on how you're doing?

Do you know anymore details about the network and where I can go for further info?

What does it involve?

Ta

Monkey1
11-04-2008, 03:40 PM
You join a local childminding network, often part of a children's centre... more courses to sit through and i had to do NCMA quality first accreditation as well...

Theoretically there will be lots of support from the network and you might get work etc by being part of a group... :D

Can you tell I am less than impressed with mine?... some are very good though! :rolleyes:

And mine is another one that fails to impress!

miffy
11-04-2008, 08:24 PM
And ours are being disbanded!!!!!!

miffy xx

Gherkin
12-04-2008, 06:16 AM
I'm in Wittering.

You'll have to keep me posted on how you're doing?

Do you know anymore details about the network and where I can go for further info?

What does it involve?

Ta

For further information the best person to speak to is Alison Wallace who is one of the childcare co-ordinators (think that is the right title). She is the one who runs the QA. SHe will come round to your house with a file telling you what to put together for the QA. There are then a number of visits to your home where she observes you ion action with the chiuldren. Once your file is complete it gets sent off to panel and they say yes or if there is anything else you need to do.

Tatia
12-04-2008, 08:29 AM
Our network is great. And we don't have to do the Quality Assurance thingy to be on it. You do have to have a fairly in-depth interview that takes a few visits to accomplish (asking you lots of questions to ascertain your knowledge). I love the support that is received from the network coordinator and look forward to the visits, too. In the beginning, before I started establsihing friendships with other childminders, it kept me from feeling too isolated. Plus the extra meetings and trainings are very helpful. We were offered very early training on EYFS in general and planning/observation more specifically.

I would always recommend getting on a network but then, I didn't realize they were all so different. Silly me for being naive and assuming they were all good.

teacake2
12-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Our network is good too, an example is being able to do any training we want usually at a time suited to us and this is usually incorporated into our network meetings, a good example of this was first aid, we have just completed to-day and didn't have to worry about trying to get on the courses on the training directory which as we all know can be a pain. We also go out for meals, some of us go away for the weekend, the most recent trips we organised was a weekend in Dublin and a weekend in London to see a show. We try to plan them so that we have a bit of time to save up between them and then shop around for a cheap deal.

We have a drop-in on a Tuesday morning, and minibus transport is laid on for myself and my mindees as I have no transport, so this gives the children and me a chance to meet others and have a natter.

It is a shame all Networks cannot be the same.
Teacake2:( :( :(

deeb66
14-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Have to say that the Surrey Networks are impressive too. :thumbsup:

Well worth becoming a part of!

buildingblocks
14-04-2008, 08:41 PM
And mine is another one that fails to impress!

I was so impressed by mine ( i was the first one to become an offical member) i left last summer