PDA

View Full Version : Speech problems - normal?

terrydoo73
21-10-2010, 08:50 PM
I have twin boys aged 2 1/2 years and their speech is fairly good but not putting sentences fully together yet. One thing that is annoying me at present is the constant repetition of a word - not just 1/2 dozen times but more sometimes! Even when I say yes they carry on - is this normal development? For instance hubby was in the house today carrying on a conversation with myself and trying to get a cup of tea at the same time - one twin starts saying "tractor" and continues to repeat this even though we both acknowledge it. Is it an attention thing? How do we get around this?

What I am concerned about too is the dummy use - I restrict it to sleeping times but it is on demand at home. They keep dummies in nearly every room of the house! I have noticed a constant dribbling from both boys - most days their tops are soaking wet. When they awaken from their sleep I also notice that they have a rash around the mouth - obviously from the dummy use.

Pipsqueak
21-10-2010, 09:01 PM
The repetition of the word is normal - its them practising it, however its also your chance to extend and model.
Yes, thats right, big red tractor. Tractors brum brum.
for instance
their interests lie with the tractor so extend an activity - pushing it along in sand/paint/water on patio and notice the tracks, go and visit different types of tractor - at a farm, building site etc.

As to the dummies - there isn't a lot you can do about it at home - apart from sneaky peaky introduce some information leaflets for the parents and make a huge fuss about how amazingly well they do without the dummy during the daytimes and how that is often a great indication of getting shot of them.