PDA

View Full Version : Is it OK?

lauren1979
21-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Hi

Have just had a 9 year old boy start with me after school two days a week for a couple of hours.
He claims to only play Playstation and go to the scooter park, his Mum says it is fine with her if he just plays Playstation but i feel a bit like I should be providing something educational or play based, although after a day at school maybe he does just want to chill out?

I know it is early days...and he is pretty quiet so should I try and engage him in activities or leave him be? What is Ofsted's view on this?
have my own 3 year and 20 month old plus a 10 month old one of the days so am pretty busy anyways!

thanks!

The Juggler
21-10-2010, 04:19 PM
i wouldn't worry too much about educationa side after a long day at school but I would limit playstation time. perhaps 45 mins then offer art/snacks/reading/homework time, modelling or garden?

singlewiththree
21-10-2010, 04:22 PM
I have a 9yr old boy 4 evenings a week for about an hour and he just plays on the computer after snack, usually mathletics or cbbc games, I too feel guilty but the crafts are on offer as I do them with his sisters so I feel at least she knows he can do them if he wants.

I used to have a 4yr old after school who I offered activities too every day and he declined, parents didn't like it but I'm not going to force them! after all they have had structure all day at school and just want to chill.

Fabby
21-10-2010, 04:42 PM
I agree, i let my after schoolie mindee decide himself what he wants to do seen as he's been at school all day. He can either read, do various crafts, play outside, play with any selection of toys or just watch tele if thats what he wants to do.

sarah707
21-10-2010, 05:33 PM
My older ones quite like puzzle books and will sit quietly doing those after a chill on the computer or other electronic thing.

We also have magazines and books for older age children lying about and there are things like magnetix (risk assessed of course).

Problem is he quite possibly goes into his own house from school and sits for 2 hours playing his games until tea and he will resent it if you try and organise him or get him to do something different.

So long as you are meeting his needs then Ofsetd will be fine.

hth :D

mushpea
21-10-2010, 06:54 PM
mine are all allowed half hour each on either the wii or choosing a tv program,, after his half hour the 7yrold i have then sits and watchs what ever the others have choose,,, sometimes he will get up and play or like today he did junk modeling but mainly hes happy to just chill and you cant force them to play,, as long as him and his mum are happy then i am happy too,, in the holidays tho I do limit how long the tv/wii is on for in total and most days we go out somwhere even if its just a walk to the local shop or woods for a bit of fresh air then we do stuf like cooking, arts and crafts.

miffy
21-10-2010, 08:45 PM
He's just doing what a lot of nine year old boys do. Nothing wrong with a bit of chill out time.

I'd try and break up the time spent on the computer with a snack or tea or a bit of outside play but you can't force him to do any of that and if his parents are happy then I wouldn't worry too much

Miffy xx