PDA

View Full Version : parent not working but i still have there children

TRACEY1969
21-10-2010, 12:59 PM
A parent has told me that her partner hasn't been working for the past month. She told me this because my daughter (my assistant) had to go to hospital and i couldn't do a school run. She claims family tax towards her child care but her partner is at home is this wrong and do i still carry on like i don't know anything.

FussyElmo
21-10-2010, 01:14 PM
Why is it wrong? Is her partner off ill or is he looking for work?

I used to look after a child whose mum worked but dad didnt she claimed tax credits because she wouldnt be able to afford the childcare if she didnt.

LisaMcNally09
21-10-2010, 01:20 PM
If they are claiming as a two parent family then both need to be working to be entitled to childcare costs from tax credits

hth

mushpea
21-10-2010, 01:24 PM
I was told that tax credits give you so long to find another job as they understand you need to keep the space open so as long as he is looking for work then it may be ok

Chatterbox Childcare
21-10-2010, 01:46 PM
It is my understanding that as long as one person is working 16 hours a week then tax credits can be claimed

I also understand that it is the parent reponsibility to inform tax credits and who says that they haven't done so?

I would keep going if you are being paid as it isn't your fault it they haven't told TC - you could lose the child

VINASOL
21-10-2010, 01:48 PM
when my dd was at nursery and i lost my job, tax credits said that from the day i lost my job they would only pay 4 weeks. So, as I had called them 2 weeks after I had lost my job, they only paid me for two more weeks and then my payments stopped. As they see it, if im not working, even though I was actively looking for work i don't need someone to care for my daughter and they wont pay for it.

crazy!

Alibali
21-10-2010, 02:54 PM
I think if one parent is claiming job seekers allowance and the other working you still get help with childcare costs, Dad can't look after children if he is actively seeking work, and I'm sure they don't want to risk losing their places.

TRACEY1969
21-10-2010, 03:05 PM
I think if one parent is claiming job seekers allowance and the other working you still get help with childcare costs, Dad can't look after children if he is actively seeking work, and I'm sure they don't want to risk losing their places.

ok things might have changed in the last 5 years since i was on JS because i couldn't claim for child care costs even though i was looking for work and on training courses, members of my family had to help me out.

carol cameron
21-10-2010, 03:06 PM
I checked this with tax credits when it looked like one of my mums could be facing redundancy. She has twins so was desperate to make sure they stayed with me as I had a variation for them.I explained this to tax credits and asked if redundancy happened could they stay with me while mum looked for work- as she obviously couldn't turn up at interviews with twin babies in tow and was told NO.
Both parents have to be working in order to claim help with child care costs. Seems unfair in a way though. Could dad still be classed as employed eg be off sick ? If so they would still be entitled to help.

aly
21-10-2010, 04:37 PM
is mum working though?

TRACEY1969
23-10-2010, 08:10 AM
is mum working though?

yes mom is working and dad has been made redundant a month ago. I have the kids 4 days and her mom has them 1 day. I have had a few words in the past with this mom about my holidays which she said i couldn't have due to my assistant (my daughter) having her first baby in January. Mom now has come back to me as said i can have Xmas off because her partner is out of work and he has agreed to look after the kids.
They both had yesterday off and sent the kids to me. I can understand that she doesn't want to loose her places with me but i have phones calls all the time about childcare. She must know what she's doing as she works for the Job Centre.

christine e
23-10-2010, 08:50 AM
yes mom is working and dad has been made redundant a month ago. I have the kids 4 days and her mom has them 1 day. I have had a few words in the past with this mom about my holidays which she said i couldn't have due to my assistant (my daughter) having her first baby in January. Mom now has come back to me as said i can have Xmas off because her partner is out of work and he has agreed to look after the kids.
They both had yesterday off and sent the kids to me. I can understand that she doesn't want to loose her places with me but i have phones calls all the time about childcare. She must know what she's doing as she works for the Job Centre.
Just remember who is boss here, parent says when you can and cannot have time off? Take control, you state when you want your holidays (giving the correct notice period as per contract) parents cannot dictate to you!

Pipsqueak
23-10-2010, 09:56 AM
I have had a few words in the past with this mom about my holidays which she said i couldn't have due to my assistant (my daughter) having her first baby in January. Mom now has come back to me as said i can have Xmas off because her partner is out of work and he has agreed to look after the kids.

I beg your pardon - the parent is telling YOU when you CAN have your holidays?
No no no - that is not the way it works - you are self employed and providing your give correct notice you do what the ruddy heck suits you and when.

Stop allowing this parent to dictate. Its one thing to consult with parents and give some consideration but its quite another to let the parents tell you what you can and can't do.

Playmate
23-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Totally agree with Christine and Pip regarding the holidays, you are the boss!!
Regarding his redundency, their tax credits will run out now (4 weeks after the date it has happened) if he has declared his redundancy and if he is signing on for job seekers he will have to. Of course the other scenario could be, that she is claiming tax credits as a single parent and not declaring that she lives with her partner (obviously I don't know family set up) in which case they can continue (fraudently (sp?) :rolleyes: ). My personal advice would be to actively look for more work because the **** could sudenly hit the fan, when they realise the tax credits have stopped. Good luck :D

Mouse
23-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Of course the other scenario could be, that she is claiming tax credits as a single parent and not declaring that she lives with her partner (obviously I don't know family set up) in which case they can continue (fraudently (sp?) :rolleyes: ). My personal advice would be to actively look for more work because the **** could sudenly hit the fan, when they realise the tax credits have stopped. Good luck :D

That's what I was thinking. Maybe mum is claiming as a single parent. Do they actually live together?
I've had parents in the past who have claimed that the mum is a single parent, so get everything paid, when in actual fact the dad lives there as well :rolleyes:

I agree with Playmate - start looking for other work before it all catches up with them.

FussyElmo
23-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Unless my parents tell I dont know what help they are getting for childcare unless they pay by vouchers.

I dont think its any of my concern :)

I wouldnt let any mum tell me when I couldnt have holidays.

Of course they might not have informed tax credits but you dont know they havent and had the money reduced. If Dad is looking for another job I can understand why they want to keep place instead of having to hope that you still have a place etc.

charlie potato
23-10-2010, 02:26 PM
If they are claiming as a two parent family then both need to be working to be entitled to childcare costs from tax credits

hth

not necesarily. If a parent is ill and unable to work help can be got towards childcare costs. xx

karen m
23-10-2010, 07:48 PM
i used to look after 2 lo and mum never worked ,dad did but think he was not supposed to live there,but the children came to me through social services ,mum needed a break children were 4 and 9 but elder sister 18 was ill and attended hospital and wanted her mum as company,ss knew about dad though