PDA

View Full Version : 2.6yrold not show signs of potty training,,help

mushpea
20-10-2010, 07:22 PM
I care for a 2yrs7month old girl who has no concept or showing any signs of potty training,,,, tried sitting her on the potty today at one napy change so she would get the idea and she just cried,,, later on i tried her on the toilet which had the same effect,, parents say she has had no bad experiance with the toilet or potty and they think she sees it as a punishment even though they havent used it as such ,,, he doesent tell me shes done a poo or is wet so maybe just a late delveloper down there but any ideas how i can get her to recognise what its all about and also how do i get her to sit on the potty/toilet without her getting upset

mum2two
20-10-2010, 07:29 PM
I look after 1 who's 2yrs 9mths and no interest either. Parents aren't worried. I think they'll prob try over xmas.

Both other lo's were 2yrs 7 mths when potty trained, and the other 2yrs 11mths, so I'd say no rush. Wait for the parents to start, as I always feel the children should start at home, with their parents.

x

clio0602
20-10-2010, 08:26 PM
Aww think some children just need longer than others. My ds was under 2.5 but dd 2.5 has just got the hang of wees but asks for a nappy as she needs a poopoo! I tried her at 2yrs4mth and she had no idea but 2wks later she was ready. I think once aged 3 most children are ready but leave it to the parents to get it started and the lo may even make the decision by themselves xx

georgie456
20-10-2010, 08:32 PM
She'll do it in her own time!

I really wouldn't push the issue with this child or you may end up with the opposite effect of making it a huge deal and put her off.

My DD showed no interest but a month before her 3rd birthday something clicked and she was done day and night within 5 days.

sarah707
20-10-2010, 08:37 PM
That's very young! Ok yes I know some children click earlier than others but some are simply too busy playing.

I would wait until closer to 3 or even later. It will be much less stressful for the child :D

The Juggler
20-10-2010, 08:38 PM
i agree. tried both my own at 2 1/2. no interest at all. put it on hold and tried again six month later and bingo!

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
20-10-2010, 08:54 PM
agree she is still very young, in alot of childrens nerve endings still wouldnt be developed.

I wouldnt be concerned until she is at least 3 yrss

mushpea
21-10-2010, 05:56 AM
thanks folks,, will reasure the parents and leave it for a while,,,, my son was in cloth nappies and more or less did himself,, came to me with a dry nappy one day at toddler group, told me it was wet which is wasnt then came back 5mins later with a wet nappy,, we had a week of the od accident but completly dry and clean by 18mnths yet my daughter went to school still having accidents.
as for the parent starting i cant see that happening,, think they are wanting me to take charge then they follow suit iyswim

appleblossom
21-10-2010, 09:01 AM
I firmly believe in leaving it until it is obvious they are ready. My own daughter was in cloth nappies, as was her elder sister. With my first I was pressurised into trying at 2 years. We just had loads of accidents and she wasn't reliably dry until she was nearly 3. With my second I just ignored the issue. Wheen DD2 was nearly 3 she said one day "I'm too big for nappies now". And that was it, she was dry from that day forward. She wouldn't have a nappy on at night either. Never an accident, and she never wet the bed either.

I always advise parents to leave it a bit longer if they are wanting to try too early.

littlesprogs
21-10-2010, 10:54 AM
My son is 2yrs 3months and we started with the potty on saturday and he was ok only a few accidents by the sunday we had no accidents. This was with him wearing nothing on his bottom half all day though. when we put pants on him he wouldnt use the potty.

We still put him in nappies at night and this mornining he came downstairs took his pyjama bottoms off and his nappy and went on the potty so now hes realised he needs to take his clothes off so i'm going to try him in pants this afternoon and see how he goes.

I wouldnt have normally started this early but he kept telling me when he needed a nappy change so thought it was worth a try and hes doing really well he even poo's on the potty and i was told boys found this more difficult. But children will only do things when they are ready and not before!

I would wait until shes at least recognising that she is wet even if she doesnt know when she needs to go. I used to sit my son on the potty with lots of toys around him from the age of 1 so he got used to it and knew it wasnt a punishment and now he thinks its fun lol

Curly Quavers
21-10-2010, 11:05 AM
She'll do it in her own time!

I really wouldn't push the issue with this child or you may end up with the opposite effect of making it a huge deal and put her off.

My DD showed no interest but a month before her 3rd birthday something clicked and she was done day and night within 5 days.

I agree plenty time yet

caz3007
21-10-2010, 11:06 AM
I look after a 2.6 boy too and he only tells you after he has done a poo by saying 'dont worry', dont understand why though :laughing:

Mum did put on FB a while ago that she was potty training, but no sign of it yet. I dont think he is ready and wont be suggesting it just yet as I can see it being a huge problem as he has no consistancy and shipped around from pillar to post and looked after by whoever will have him, even if its just someone from work who has never met him :eek: :eek: