PDA

View Full Version : Taking temperature

angeldelight
10-04-2008, 09:19 AM
I have never had to take a baby or childs temperature in all my years of minding so havent really thought about this

But the other day one of my moms told me that at their childs nursery they are no longer allowed to do this - she then asked If I am allowed

I asked my daughters and since the start of this year they are not allowed either

Just incase they get it wrong or the equipment is not working - they are not allowed to use anything at all now

So now they have to guess !

When ever my daughters cant do anything at nursery it usually always happens soon after with us minders

Have you heard of this ? I had not - maybe I am being dim and everyone knew about it ?

Angel xx

Mollymop
10-04-2008, 09:23 AM
I have never heard of this either. I wonder why they are not allowed to do this? Surely it's in the best interest to check a child's temperature just to be on the safe side.
But then I suppose there is a concern that it could be checked wrong or the thermometer not working correctly and we might then think there is nothing wrong with their temp.

angeldelight
10-04-2008, 09:24 AM
Yes Sandra I think that is the concern

It is Ofsted that informed them that they are not allowed to do this

Angel xx

Minnie Minx
10-04-2008, 09:25 AM
but if they're using the strips that you put on the forehead i can't see what the problem is? Soon childcare workers won't be able to look at a child in case we do something wrong!!

xxx

angeldelight
10-04-2008, 09:26 AM
I know Theresa - they are not allowed to use the strips either incase they use out of date ones by mistake

But I would have thought that would have been something that would have been checked anyway

Mad

Angel xx

emler
10-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Madness! :angry:

Emler x

Blaze
10-04-2008, 09:39 AM
As far as i'm aware we are allowed as long as we have parental permission...the reason we are not allowed otherwise is that it is considered invasive!:rolleyes:
Blaze:)

angeldelight
10-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Yeah thats what I would do anyway Blaze - well I think we all would

Just wondering if anyone had heard of the above really ? I bet it happens with us in the end

The world is crazy ha

xxx

sarah707
10-04-2008, 10:21 AM
I want to be able to give children the same care as I give my own... how can I do that if I can't effectively look after them? :(

angeldelight
10-04-2008, 10:22 AM
I agree 100% Sarah

xx

Tatia
10-04-2008, 11:19 AM
My ear thermometer isn't invasive. In fact, I took my dd's temp with it once and all the mindees clammered to have their's done, too!:eek:

Another thing to add to my ever-growing list of questions.

Twinkles
10-04-2008, 01:46 PM
I want to be able to give children the same care as I give my own... how can I do that if I can't effectively look after them? :(

'zactly. I use one of those thermometer's that you just hold to the forehead for thirty seconds so it's hardly invasive FGS.
TBH I only take their temperature if I've already felt the forehead and thought it was hot ( like most of you probably ).

miffy
10-04-2008, 01:50 PM
I hadn't heard of this either

Can't say I have ever taken a child's temperature before although I know other minders who do

miffy xx

Rubybubbles
10-04-2008, 01:53 PM
what!

So if a child in your setting got ill you couldn't motior their temp! most of a unit in my NVQ was about recording temps ect, now I'm really confused!

I can here it now (phoning a parent)' * is hot but I don't know how much I'm not allowed, could you come a check for me hehe'

angeldelight
10-04-2008, 01:54 PM
Hahaha yeah I know

Well childminders have not been told we can not do this

I was just asking if anyone had heard of it - due to the nursery here and my daughters nursery not being allowed

They dont agree with it either

I have never had to do it but would if I had to - whos going to know anyway ?

Angel xx