PDA

View Full Version : Tax Credit Fraud

Chatterbox Childcare
20-10-2010, 06:08 PM
From NCMA today:

Beware fraudulent tax credit claims

NCMA has been made aware by a number of childminders that people are posing as potential clients, visiting childminders and obtaining their Ofsted registration number.

Once they have this information they then claim tax credits for a formal childcare placement that they do not actually use.

The government has a number to call if you suspect you might have been a victim of a fraudulent tax credit claim. Call the National Benefit Fraud Hotline (NFBH) on 0800 854440.

If you have speech or hearing problems you can use a text phone service on 0800 328 0512.

The Welsh National Benefit Fraud Hotline is on 0800 678 3722.

The government’s Direct.Gov website also has further information about tax credit fraud.

Mookins
20-10-2010, 06:16 PM
thank you for the heads up and the info
xx

cherry
20-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Thank you :thumbsup:

welshcake
20-10-2010, 06:24 PM
I had someone come for 5 weeks only one day a week. Didnt pay and doesnt come anymore, and guess what they told tax credits that i had their child for 4 full days a week and i charged them £9 more than i actually did for the day.:angry:

I obviously put them right that infact they had not paid and it was only one day they were contracted too. :angry:

very wise to it now x

miffy
20-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks Debbie

Miffy xx

buzzy bee
20-10-2010, 06:40 PM

You might have seen my other post, I think this has just happened to me - 2 kids been coming to me for the last 4 weeks, had a call from HMRC on thurs to confirm payments, and 2 days later mum told me she can't afford me anymore - no notice either :mad:

i called tax credits earlier to tell them, but might call this number aswell tomorrow just to make sure - really don't wanna be associated with helping someone claim tax credits they're not entitled to!

kerrypriest
20-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Thank you for that, i have just phoned and reported a parent who took my number, used me for one week and then didnt come anymore, not even a phone call from her. aahhhh i can sleep easy tonight now cos this has bugged me for ages knowng she has been using my registration number :blush:

Carpet Monkeys
25-04-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks for this info as I've just been had to, but the way they got my reg number is so deceitful that I'm going to call Ofsted!

I took the mother upstairs to have a look where the lo will be sleeping and as coming down stairs got dad copying into his phone :eek: I asked what he was doing and he said just checking my registration. Mum then later called to confirm reg no as she was on phone to tax credits, I said I never gave it to them and she abruptly hung up!

Will give them a call with all the info I have!

Pixie dust
25-04-2011, 10:30 AM
I really think the whole system needs to be reviewed as it's not working.

karensmart4
25-04-2011, 10:41 AM
I really think the whole system needs to be reviewed as it's not working.

I agree, I've been had in the past...big time... and by someone I thought I could trust.

I'm very wary now and its not fair that we're made to feel like that :(

Carpet Monkeys
25-04-2011, 10:46 AM
I agree, I've been had in the past...big time... and by someone I thought I could trust.

I'm very wary now and its not fair that we're made to feel like that :(

My hubby said to call Ofsted and advise them that I'll be photocopying my certificate, blocking out the number and putting that one up - and then only when contracts are signed giving them my reg no!

phoenix2010
25-04-2011, 10:49 AM
I looked after a little girl for almost a year until I went on maternity leave
she than went to a family friend I believe
I got a call about a year later from tax credits after asking me to confirm how many hours a week I had her for , they were still claiming a year on so Im guessing they got into a whole heap of trouble
I do think tax credits should be checking more thoroughly
At the end of the day anyone can get your OFSTED number
Ive actually just had a mum use me for the first week of the Easter holidays and has now said she wont be using me anymore and after reading this am wondering if she is pulling a fast one
Im going to ring them anyway tomoro so will mention it

onceinabluemoon
25-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks for that, I'll write that number down and put a notice up on the notice board with it on.

x

Hebs
25-04-2011, 12:48 PM
My hubby said to call Ofsted and advise them that I'll be photocopying my certificate, blocking out the number and putting that one up - and then only when contracts are signed giving them my reg no!

I do this, and the numerous times i have had Ofsted out they all asked why, i explained to stop fraudulent claims, and they were more than happy with that :thumbsup:

Heaven Scent
25-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Thanks for that I'm sure that at least 3 people are claiming in my name.

Susana0600
25-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Thank you very much for sharing, that's very important iformation :thumbsup:

lfishwick
25-04-2011, 05:18 PM
The lovely Mrs O that came out to me for my Pre Reg visit emphasised to me about being extremely careful about my number, who I give it too etc and said the number of fraudulent claims was an increasing issue.... such a shame people do this!

Erika
25-04-2011, 05:18 PM
It's a double edged sword. I won't sign a contract with anyone until I've established with SCSWIS that they are registered and have looked at all available inspection reports, complaints, enforcements etc. I only need to go on the SCSWIS website to get the information but the ref number is on there and it's on Ofsted website as well.

Fraudulent claims for ficticious childcare costs are exceptionally high, and although it's easy to procecute once caught, it's rare that they do. The punishment offers little deterrent. In most cases they are required to repay the sum fraudulently claimed and are charged a penalty not exceeding £3000. In the rare cases where they do prosecute, punishment usually comes in the form of a suspended sentence.

It should be prevention rather than cure, they should bring back the days when the childminder had to complete a form and sign it to confirm the childcare, and should pay the childminder direct the proportion of the claim that is awarded for childcare costs.

moljak
27-04-2011, 06:39 AM
I totally agree with having to sign something to prove you are still having the children.

I do for Care to learn every month.It's just an x in a box and a freepost envelope.Now if tax credits had this system too then fraud would be a thing of the past!

emmadines
27-04-2011, 11:18 PM
right ladies, please feel free to email me your numbers and i'll begin, as ive surely missed something lol (joke)

this is why tax credits should be paid directly to childminders!!!!!

xx