PDA

View Full Version : Day swapping

snufflepuff
20-10-2010, 11:42 AM
If a parent wants to swap a day (as a one-off, not permanently) do you charge anything for the original day?
I have a parent who does this quite often and I find it hard to say no, partly because I want to be flexible for her and partly because she knows what days I have free and makes it hard for me to say no! Especially when she puts me on the spot, I can't think quick enough to make up an imaginary appointment, lol!
I was thinking of saying that with enough notice (perhaps one week?) i can do a straight sawp, but without notice I will charge half for the contracted day and obviously full for the day that they actually use.
Is this unfair?

Beckieboo
20-10-2010, 11:48 AM
I dont allow swopping days as in my experience once u have done it, u will be asked again! It is in my policies, my parents can book an extra day but i will not allow swops! Hope this helps x

Twinkles
20-10-2010, 11:52 AM
I think it also depends how flexible they are for you. What if you need to swap a day are they ok with it ?

Most of my families are happy - when necessary to swap if I have something important like an appointment so I am happy , if I have space , to swap their day when needed.

If you don't want to swap you don't need an excuse.

'No, I can't do that '.

'I'll get back to you on that one'

'I'll check my diary'

or just plain 'No'

Practise all of the above phrases. :D

FussyElmo
20-10-2010, 11:56 AM
I dont mind swapping days if it is convienent for me. However I always say let me check my diary first.

I dont charge anything for the usual day :thumbsup:

Daftbat
20-10-2010, 12:12 PM
I will swap days if its convenient and it depends on the customer to be honest - some mess you about anyway but others are really good to me if i need to change things aroound.

ziggy
20-10-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm happy to swap days as parents have done so to suit me if i have appointments etc

sillysausage
20-10-2010, 12:58 PM
I usually don't mind swapping days (at no extra charge). I think flexibility is one of the key features that we can offer as childminders that private nurseries won't. I do make it clear to parents that flexibility works both ways (I'm certainly no push-over), for instance one of my parents works shifts and I have asked them to arrange a certain day as their day off so I can go Xmas shopping in a few weeks time.

PixiePetal
20-10-2010, 01:01 PM
I dont mind swapping days if it is convienent for me. However I always say let me check my diary first.

same as me - and some parents are more likely to find I can do it than others ;)

I like it when a swapped day gives me the original day off even if it doubles up another day :thumbsup:

Louise B
20-10-2010, 01:03 PM
I think for me it would depend on the person. I have one who has been a nightmare payer and she's only had one invoice!!!! There's another one who wanted a Thursday after school, I told her I would struggle to fit her 9 year old in, so would have to stick to Monday, Wednesday and Friday. One Wednesday she went to a friend's for tea, and she asked if I could have her on the Thursday. She didn't say "instead of", so she'll be charged for both. I would probably charge for both anyway, because I couldn't fill that space and I don't want to just be available at the drop of a hate (unless it's an emergency), I need to plan for teas, etc.

Have a word with her and say it'll have to be at least a week's notice or charge her.:)
xxx

The Juggler
20-10-2010, 01:31 PM
I usually don't mind swapping days (at no extra charge). I think flexibility is one of the key features that we can offer as childminders that private nurseries won't. I do make it clear to parents that flexibility works both ways (I'm certainly no push-over), for instance one of my parents works shifts and I have asked them to arrange a certain day as their day off so I can go Xmas shopping in a few weeks time.

me too as long as I'm normally working on both days. if I was swapping to what might have been my day off, I'd charge for both.

mrs_scottydog
20-10-2010, 02:35 PM
Last week I had mindee for 2 8hr days instead of 3 5hr days. I haven't charged for the day the mindee wasn't here as the other days covered the no. of contracted hours. Hope that makes sense and helps. Hx

funfunfun
20-10-2010, 02:42 PM
I dont mind as long as i have space ............as a one off of course

snufflepuff
20-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Hmmm....to be honest I don't think the flexibility would be returned if I needed to move things around for whatever reason....i'd have to take the time off unpaid instead.
I think i'll put something in the next newsletter to say that if I don't get enough notice of the swap i'll be charging half fees for the original day (not due another newsletter until Dec/ Jan so won't be obvious it is aimed at her, even though she is the only parent who does it!)

sweets
20-10-2010, 03:54 PM

i don't mind it either if i have the space. it can work both ways, a couple of weeks ago because of hols and illnesses it turned i was due to have one mindee on the monday and one on the tues, i asked if monday mindee could swap to tues just for one week so it enabled me to have the monday off, parents were fine about it.

Carol M
20-10-2010, 05:13 PM
In my contracts it states pay for contracted hrs due to childs day off. I rarely swop as this is what parents have agreed to but still parents ask!
If you do it for one you have to do it for all and then what is the point of stating this on contracts as it becomes first come first served, and a bit of a nightmare!
Carol xx

angeldelight
20-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Hmmm....to be honest I don't think the flexibility would be returned if I needed to move things around for whatever reason....i'd have to take the time off unpaid instead.
I think i'll put something in the next newsletter to say that if I don't get enough notice of the swap i'll be charging half fees for the original day (not due another newsletter until Dec/ Jan so won't be obvious it is aimed at her, even though she is the only parent who does it!)

Sounds like you have made your mind up

Do whatever suits you and your family

Good luck

Angel xx

Helcatt
20-10-2010, 05:49 PM
I do, depends on the parents though, but generally because it works both ways for us. There have been occasions where I have needed that day off and mum has been happy to move around and vice versa.

With the other family, I have once or twice but not every time I have been asked because Dad always asks at the last minute and it doesn't always fit in with my plans

Hx