PDA

View Full Version : Urgent asthma question

Helen Dempster
20-10-2010, 09:31 AM
hi all

Two boys in my care both have asthma and one of them is coughing quite a bit at the moment - his mum texted me this morning and asked if I could give him his pump when I collect him at lunchtime. Thing is, I've never had to use one before - I know the basics, but what I can't remember is how many you have to count up to after they've inhaled the medicine, before the next puff?

If any of you can help.....?

Thanks all and hope you're having good days (cold isn't it????!!!!)

hayleychildcare
20-10-2010, 09:44 AM
My son has ashma and he has always been told to count to 5 inbetween puffs.

HTH :thumbsup:

rachelle
20-10-2010, 09:45 AM
with my 2 (who have it through an aerochamber) I do 10 breaths to every 2 pumps.

With myself (just take it from pump) I do deep breath and hold for 5. Hope that helps :)

oh, and askng him to breathe out with inhaler in mouth but just before he/you presses is the key to a good intake!

Helen Dempster
20-10-2010, 09:53 AM
with my 2 (who have it through an aerochamber) I do 10 breaths to every 2 pumps.

With myself (just take it from pump) I do deep breath and hold for 5. Hope that helps :)

oh, and askng him to breathe out with inhaler in mouth but just before he/you presses is the key to a good intake!

so i will have to press it, he then breathes it in and holds his breath for the count of 10, is that right?

rachelle
20-10-2010, 10:06 AM
is he taking it direct with no spacer? 5 if so

with spacer then mine to tidal breathing (in out in out etc) for a count of 10:)

JCrakers
20-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Could you not text her back and ask her how much as I have a 6yr old that has to count to ten and has 5 puffs. I have a 3yr old who has 2 puffs and counts to 5 so it seems to be different due to age. And its just breathing and counting no holding breath.

And its important to shake it first to mix it up or it will be uneven mixture of whatever is in it. :D

I also have a form that parents have to fill in which tells me exactly what to do. I have a 6yr old who has an epipen and I hope to god i never have to use it.....eek

Becky xx