PDA

View Full Version : Learning Journey when mindee leaves

CHEEKY BEE
19-10-2010, 08:51 PM
When a mindee leaves ur setting do u give the Learning Journey to the parent.

I have just realised that most of my evidence for obs are in the learning journey so if I give it to the parent I will have no evidence to show Ofsted.

I can take a photocopy of it, but I was wondering if it was unreasonable to pass this cost on to the parent e.g as a £5 admin charge. I charge them a very reasonable rate, as they are shift workers and only pay as and when - so some weeks I only receive one days pay for a full time space.

Also, any suggestions as to how u show evidence of obs to Ofsted for future mindees would be appreciated. Do u make seperate notes or just duplicate Learning Journeys.

Thanks
:)

gigglinggoblin
19-10-2010, 08:58 PM
As a parent I would be astonished to be charged for my childs learning journey! As a childminder no, i would never charge, I show ofsted current learning journeys (as long as the parents have signed to give me permission to do so). If a parent doesnt want it you can ask to keep it. Or if you have your own child you could do one for them to keep. If you have to photocopy it just do one or two pages or show them the blank forms with an example of what you could do for an observation.

Chimps Childminding
19-10-2010, 09:01 PM
Ofsted would only be interested in current children anyway, so I would just give it to parents.

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
19-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Ofsted would only be interested in current children anyway, so I would just give it to parents.

agree Ofsted dont give 2 hoots about children that are not in your care any longer

Mrs Book
19-10-2010, 09:33 PM
:laughing: :laughing: Sorry to laugh, but this is the exact conversation I've had tonight with one of our local developmental workers.

She said they would be interested in children you have when they visit, but if you haven't got children then you will need some evidence. So she has said to photo copy some of the journal so you have evidence to shop.

Penny1959
20-10-2010, 02:23 AM
When Ofsted inspected me recently - the inspector only looked at the learning journeys of the children who were present - even though all parents had given permission.

So do give to parents when they leave - however I do suggest that if you have any evidence of supporting a child with additional needs or through a difficult period that you make copies of those pages as come in useful for courses etc.

I have started doing my learning journeys on the computer now (import photo's add text etc) and find this an excellent way of keeping records - with the advantage that each child has a password protected file with everything in it (I take photos of creative work / scan it in) so if learning journey gets lost / damaged I could print it again - and when child leaves (if parent gives permission) I can keep the computer files for future evidence. Another advantage is that if we have done anything special or child's first day with me I can easily email parents a copy of that page from the learning journey.

Penny :)

Leapsters
22-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Lol, I've just asked my GEM the same question yesterday. Apparently you either let parents have the journal or maybe pass it on to the school (Ofsted do like childminders communicating with schools and nursery and also other childminders which might be involved)

Sandy:)

CHEEKY BEE
25-10-2010, 01:18 PM
Lol, I've just asked my GEM the same question yesterday. Apparently you either let parents have the journal or maybe pass it on to the school (Ofsted do like childminders communicating with schools and nursery and also other childminders which might be involved)

Sandy:)

Probably being a bit slow here, but what is GEM short for?:)

Playmate
25-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Probably being a bit slow here, but what is GEM short for?:)

Glad you asked that new one on me too! :blush:

Mollymop
25-10-2010, 03:06 PM

I was going to say the same. I saved a few LJ's when a few mindees left ready for my first inspection but mrs O wasn't interested at all only in the children I minded at the time. So npw I give the parents their LJ's that is what they are for, the parents and keepsakes for the children

cuddlybunny38
25-10-2010, 03:06 PM
gigglinggoblin, when I had my inspection 2 years ago I had one parent who didnt want anybody looking at her 2 childrens paperwork, learning journal and contract so I got her to sign a form stating this. At my inspection the inspecter looked at the other childrens bits then asked about the other 2 childrens bits I showed her the signed form saying that the parent didnt want me to share her childrens work and the inspecter told me to show her I refused and she told me if I didnt show it then she would not grade me, I was shocked and said this that I was acting on the parents wishes, she still insisited so I did show it in the end so I would be graded, explained to parent what had happened and she was ok with me but said this was her choice and ofsted didnt seem to care( the inspecter not main ofsted). I think they have different rules with different inspecters.Also same inspecter watched me prepare a healthy snack for the children and she also commented how nice it was, then on one parents evealuation form there was a comment from a parent that I could introduce more fruit( I do a choice of 4/5 fruits and veg at snack time)for her 2 girls but they never ate any fruit but the mum said she just wrote it on there for me to encourage the children to eat it, well the inspector gave me a satisfactory on providing healthy meals because of this.although I did get overall good grade. But made it look like I dodnt give healthy meals although I do. lol x

MrsJ
28-10-2010, 11:10 PM
I'm still trying to get my learning journeys from my childminder! She currently has my daughters (who turned 5 in July) and my 3 year old sons. Plus the journeys from when they were babies from my first childminder. She is insisting I sign her paperwork which basically says that once I have the documents I will make copies of them for anyone who wants them and that neither I or my new provider will contact her about them! She got an 'outstanding' on her last inspection. How on earth?:eek: