PDA

View Full Version : NVQ?

donnahay0
09-04-2008, 11:11 PM
I have been thinking about taking my NVQ 3 but am worried about how difficult I might find it. How time consuming is it likely to be and am nervous about being watched.

I know you will all tell me to go for it and deep down I know I should, just worried about overstretching my time - like most of you, spare time is quite sp**** - is there a lot of writing, I just don't know what to expect really.

sarah707
10-04-2008, 06:45 AM
I put one day a week aside for mine - i was only minding 4 days a week at the time. It wasn't too bad tbh... a lot of writing but you could get quite a lot covered when your tutor visited and she's on your side, it's not like an inspection or anything. :D

miffy
10-04-2008, 06:49 AM
The new NVQ in Children's Care Learning and Development is supposed to be more observational and not so much writing - a lot depends on how helpful your assessor is and how well they explain to you what's required.

I didn't think my assessor was very good - really nice but not well clued up but then this nvq was just starting and they were learning too.

I still think it's worth doing though because that's the way things are moving and if you want to work outside of childminding with children then you will need this qualification.

Quite a few members have done or are doing the nvq so you will get support here

Good luck
miffy xx

Rubybubbles
10-04-2008, 06:53 AM
I have just finished my NVQ it took me just under 2 years:o but I have been working full time 8-5/6 on my own as hubby works away and 2 children of my own phew!

It is worth it and I feel so good now it's done

Minnie Minx
10-04-2008, 07:12 AM
hahahaha sorry but the sensor starred out sp*rse :laughing: :laughing:

I agree with the others, go for it, if you can afford it a home study course may give you more time to complete the course then college would.

xx

avril
10-04-2008, 07:34 AM
I completed mine in Dec 07 and it took 9mnths to do but I met up with a group of girls once a wk and worked through the sections together and then went away and wrote it up outselves. A couple of essays but a lot of common sense and cross referencing throughout the whole thing. I quite enjoyed doing it as it also made you reflect and your setting and what you do.

Avril x:)

donnahay0
10-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Well thanks for your enthusiastic replies.

You are quite right I should go for it seeing as that's the way things are going and it sounds like it won't be too bad.

I will look into it beginning of next week - hopefully I will receive some funding which will help. It is nice to know that you are all there for encouragement and support. This site is marvellous.

miffy
12-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Good luck with this

miffy xx

Heaven Scent
12-04-2008, 12:49 PM
I'll PM you later I'm a qualified NVQ assessor in childcare and playwork and used to teach on various childcare courses in a college.

donnahay0
12-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Thanks Celine

Pauline
12-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Go for it!!

I too was worried about being watched but my assessor was lovely and we became great friends :)

nell57
13-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Go for it you will be fine, it is hard work but it will be worth it. I started mine April last year and we need to finish it by June this year:panic: but like avril said if you choose your optional units well there will be a lot of cross referencing.

Good luck

Helen