PDA

View Full Version : childminding OR live out nanny

maryp0ppins
19-10-2010, 12:17 PM
Hi, Has anybody ever thought of becoming a live out nanny...or know anyone who is one?

My kids are 13 & nearly 12 & I was talking to hubby about doing the job I love but at another families home so we can get our house back to being our house & not a home/toy barn....

I keep thinking about it, but then love the fact I don't have to leave my house to earn my money (iykwim)

I've not even properly looking into the nannying side of things. Think I'm just fed up with my house not looking properly like my house!

Do you have to cook & clean if your a nanny?:o

LOOPYLISA
19-10-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm not sure but it appeals to me so i will be watching this thread closely :thumbsup:

RainbowMum
19-10-2010, 12:22 PM
I think about it sometimes but at the moment I am full so earning a good wage - as a nanny I would get about half that! Also as a Nanny the parents would be your boss - not sure I could hack that - attitudes can be bad enough when I am providing a service! I would think some parents would require some housework and other running about on their behalf too.
Mind you woulld be nice to have a normal house......

sweets
19-10-2010, 12:29 PM
i was a live out nanny for a long time before childminding. Its a great job if you get with a good family. My last job i stayed in for 11 years till the littlest went to high school so didnt need me anymore. while he was at primary school i did nanny share and looked after the preschoolers of another family for a couple of days during the week,then went to pick him up from school. I did do bits round the house but only because it was my choice as i was a bit bored as sometimes i had a few hours during the day without children. they were always grateful and did'n expect me to do it but because i had been there a long time i was comfortable with them and to be honest during the day i felt like it was MY house! and if they ever worked at home they were in MY way. i used to re arrange the boys bedrooms and have a good clear out of clothes each season too lol.

i never felt like the parents were my boss in fact i think it was a bit the other way round :laughing:

LOOPYLISA
19-10-2010, 12:30 PM
What qualifications would you need ?

sweets
19-10-2010, 12:32 PM
you actually don't need any qualifications to be a nanny and you aren't regulated by ofsted (which i think is wrong) or anyone and dont have to do EYFS.

a lot of nannies now though do choose to register with ofsted but that is mainly so that the parents can claim for tax credits.

maryp0ppins
19-10-2010, 12:37 PM
i was a live out nanny for a long time before childminding. Its a great job if you get with a good family. My last job i stayed in for 11 years till the littlest went to high school so didnt need me anymore. while he was at primary school i did nanny share and looked after the preschoolers of another family for a couple of days during the week,then went to pick him up from school. I did do bits round the house but only because it was my choice as i was a bit bored as sometimes i had a few hours during the day without children. they were always grateful and did'n expect me to do it but because i had been there a long time i was comfortable with them and to be honest during the day i felt like it was MY house! and if they ever worked at home they were in MY way. i used to re arrange the boys bedrooms and have a good clear out of clothes each season too lol.

i never felt like the parents were my boss in fact i think it was a bit the other way round :laughing:

wow that sounds appealing. Did you start childminding after you left the family then?
Thanks for info x

sweets
19-10-2010, 12:42 PM
yes because i got on really well with the family and was my own boss i didnt feel like i could start fresh with another family and be an employee if you know what i mean. a lot of my friends were childminders so thought i would give it a go and love it.

LOOPYLISA
19-10-2010, 12:45 PM
you actually don't need any qualifications to be a nanny and you aren't regulated by ofsted (which i think is wrong) or anyone and dont have to do EYFS.

a lot of nannies now though do choose to register with ofsted but that is mainly so that the parents can claim for tax credits.

Thanks for the info x

theplayroom
19-10-2010, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE=sweets;800519]you actually don't need any qualifications to be a nanny and you aren't regulated by ofsted (which i think is wrong) or anyone and dont have to do EYFS.

a lot of nannies now though do choose to register with ofsted but that is mainly so that the parents can claim for tax credits.[/QUOT

As a nanny you can volenteer to join ofsted ( my friends a nanny) and she was checked recently (nothing like we get!)

I have considered it too but i wouldnt be able to fit in my own childrens school runs etc, nannys tend to work long hours, for example my friend works 730 am untill 6pm she does a few bits of shopping for the family, bread milk etc and prepars the families evening meal in advance for them and irons the families washing but doesnt wash it and tidies the playroom at the end of each day....each contract is different i decided it wasnt for me as what would i do with my own kids during these long hours in some elses house!

claire1980
19-10-2010, 01:02 PM
I have been a live out nanny, money is much better (I got £10 phr) than childminding and get paid for hols etc there are pros and cons.

Also you don't have to follow the EYFS.

Depends on the family as to what jobs you do, I have done children's laundery and cooking only but know some nannies who also do the parents!!:eek:

PixiePetal
19-10-2010, 01:06 PM
I had 7 years as a live in nanny for one family, from the age of 17 - my young free and single days :laughing:

Then had a live out job as I moved in with boyfriend (now DH). 5 years in that job then left when 7 months pregnant with DD.

At which point I registered as CM - that was 16 years ago now.

The jobs were quite long ones - my choice to leave both - they would have kept me into old age if not :laughing: I was very relaxed and happy to become part of the home. Did tidy kids rooms and kept their bathroom and playroom tidy but families had cleaners too so no real cleaning as such - until in the second job the cleaner left, I did it in the free time when kids at school and got paid extra :thumbsup: Did kids washing and ironing and cooked meals etc. Even cooked for parents sometimes as I love cooking/baking, but not really part of my job. Even took the cat to the vet once :laughing:

I was lucky to get 2 very good jobs with fantastic families - was not qualified as nanny but was chosen over some who were as I just fitted in and the chemistry was there - I was 'a natural' !

Still in touch with families - first set of parents are my DD Godparents and their DD was a Bridesmaid to me - even used their fab house to get dressed for my wedding and have photos done there.

Second family split up, mum remarried and moved away but still see dad and grandma in town every so often and catch up with notes in Christmas cards :)

Had some fab times:thumbsup: :D

PixiePetal
19-10-2010, 01:09 PM
'each contract is different i decided it wasnt for me as what would i do with my own kids during these long hours in some elses house!'

My friend has 2 children and takes them with her - can be a long day for them but she does not work full time

maryp0ppins
19-10-2010, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=sweets;800519]you actually don't need any qualifications to be a nanny and you aren't regulated by ofsted (which i think is wrong) or anyone and dont have to do EYFS.

a lot of nannies now though do choose to register with ofsted but that is mainly so that the parents can claim for tax credits.[/QUOT

As a nanny you can volenteer to join ofsted ( my friends a nanny) and she was checked recently (nothing like we get!)

I have considered it too but i wouldnt be able to fit in my own childrens school runs etc, nannys tend to work long hours, for example my friend works 730 am untill 6pm she does a few bits of shopping for the family, bread milk etc and prepars the families evening meal in advance for them and irons the families washing but doesnt wash it and tidies the playroom at the end of each day....each contract is different i decided it wasnt for me as what would i do with my own kids during these long hours in some elses house!

Ya see 'theplayroom' my kids sort themselves out now, they both walk to & from their upper school. Don't usually arrive home till 4pm so it's just 2 hours till me or hubby arrived home. I leave them whilst I Go shopping for a few hours at the weekend so I know they're both trustworthy & capable.

I have some new babies starting my childminding in november so I'm thinking between now & when they start playgroup (2-3 years away) My kids will be 15-16 & want MY house back :/

How did you start off sweets? did you join an agancie?

The Juggler
19-10-2010, 01:31 PM
i like the idea of no paperwork (or at least much less) but not keen on idea of working to somoene else's rules and agenda.

yummymummy
19-10-2010, 03:31 PM
I too am thinking of this after childminding and now working part time in childrens centres too. A lady I work with nannies for 2 boys at senior school so does before and after school term time and all day holidays, 4 days a week. She gets a fantastic rate of pay (equivalent to me having 3 mindees) is treated very well and respectfully by both boys and parents and they work her hours out per year so she is paid equally every month. She has grown up children so does not have to take their needs into account but apparently the last 2 nannies brought their children along with them, sounds pretty good to me so seriously thinking of a career change, she looked at me like I was crazy when I told her what childminders are required to do these days for the rate of pay we get. Suppose though your experience depends on the family you get but could well be worth a try :thumbsup:

loocyloo
19-10-2010, 05:02 PM
i was a live out nanny for years until i started childminding, my last family i had been with 3 1/2yrs when i had DS and then he came to work with me for 18mths! dad worked from home and would say at school run times ''he's asleep, leave him with me'' ... EVERY time i got home, dad would be cuddling DS :laughing:

those employers are now DDs godparents and infact, are coming to babysit DD tomorrow night, so i can take DS to parents evg!

i loved it, and that family were great at letting me decide what to do, when to do it etc, and only once in a blue moon would ask me to do something. unlike another famly i worked for who gave me my orders every day of what to do, when to do it and even what to cook!:eek: i didn't stay there very long!

i would be tempted to nanny again, but would be very careful about who i worked for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

maryp0ppins
19-10-2010, 05:02 PM
thanks for all your replies....makes me very tempted i must say. x

JCrakers
19-10-2010, 05:16 PM
I used to be a live in and live out nanny so when my kids are old enough to look after themselves I will be going back to that.....definitley want to get my house back, get more money and my tax paid :D

Its what I trainied to do in 1994 and I gave it up when I had my daughter. Now childminding works for me as my kids are 11 and 8yrs. nannying can be 7.30-7pm or 8-6pm so not good for me now.

I worked in London and worked with some fantastic families :D Didnt clean or Iron (said i wouldnt) they had cleaners anyway.
The day was basically the same as now, with me deciding what to do etc. Didnt have to answer to anyone, was still my own boss. :D I loved it

Must add too...it was a lot more relaxing and enjoyable as no Ofsted, not a peice paperwork, no tax.....just me and the kids.....those were the days

maryp0ppins
20-10-2010, 12:35 PM
wow............no paper work sound bloomin brill :D :D

Just playing with the kids, adventures, cooking with them, days out & NO writing it all up is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sounding good!!

:D :D

JCrakers
20-10-2010, 05:11 PM
wow............no paper work sound bloomin brill :D :D

Just playing with the kids, adventures, cooking with them, days out & NO writing it all up is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sounding good!!

:D :D

Just hope Ofsted dont get in there before I do otherwise it will be an office job for me :(