PDA

View Full Version : Ironing??

mushpea
19-10-2010, 10:42 AM
I have a almost 4yrold today and wonded ,, whilst he has his half hour tv time this after noon is it wrong to do the ironing? i ususaly only sit there or do paper work so wanted to get a bit of house work done
would you do it in this situation?

AliceK
19-10-2010, 10:46 AM
I'm not sure why but I have a real mental No No about ironing when working, don't ask me why.
I would happily dust, mop floors etc but not ironing. I would prefer to sit with him and maybe either chat about what we're watching or just watch him watching TV IYSWIM? I love looking at LO's faces when they're watching TV:)

xxxxxx

suzyblue
19-10-2010, 10:50 AM
I wouldnt be able to iron either. Its too dangerous. What if the door goes or the phone?

venus89
19-10-2010, 10:52 AM
Personally, no. I have a mental list of absolute 'no' things when I'm working like deep cleaning, mowing, sex (well.... :blush: ) and ironing.... I just hate the thought that something might happen, say I need to dash out for whatever reason, leave LO unsupervised, they get the iron.... :panic: So no.

Mookins
19-10-2010, 10:53 AM
:eek:
id have to say no way, i dont iron very often but not at all when dd is around
just could not live with myself should something happen

will potter round doing little jobs, hoovering etc but ironing is a no go area for me
have 5 mins to ya self hun instaed ;)
xx

LOOPYLISA
19-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Whats ironing :rolleyes: :laughing:

snufflepuff
19-10-2010, 11:03 AM
I would only ever iron while working if the children were sleeping.

ClaireCM
19-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Well, I have ironed when my minded children have been here. I look after two 3 year olds and whilst they sleep or whilst they have their tv time, I occasionally will do some ironing. If the door or the phone goes, I unplug the iron and put it on the kitchen counter, then I answer, it doesnt take me long. If i'm too late to answer the door or phone it's tough, the children's safety comes first. If its that important, the caller will call again or the person at the door will still be there!!!

bandlady
19-10-2010, 11:23 AM
Do a risk assessment and if you are happy that you have covered all scenarios then it really is up to you. I would personally only do ironing if all the children were asleep and it would only be if I really didn't have the time to do it outside of childminding.

Denise

Gizmo
19-10-2010, 11:41 AM
Nono from me when they are awake, have occasionally done when they are sleeping but only if they are in cot or pram never if they are on the couch and can get to me before I get to them IYSWIM

Pixie dust
19-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Sorry but I wouldn't do it either when the children are around. Ironing gets left until the week-end(which I hate doing then thinking of getting an ironing lady :clapping: ). Mine don't watch tv anyway they don't bother with it, I think it's because they watch it all the time at home so when with me they rather play. When they want a bit of quiet time we read stories.

Pixie dust

Pipsqueak
19-10-2010, 11:50 AM
To me that is a domestic chore too far.
I am all for involving the (minded) children in domestic stuff - pairing socks, hanging out washing, washing up, putting shopping away etc..... they are all great learning skills but ironing is a no-no for me.

i have only ever once got the iron out and that was because son came flying in needing something for a club. And no I didn't hit him with it lol;) :p :laughing:

atmkids
19-10-2010, 12:13 PM
I wouldn't do it, the ironing gets done at the weekend or for the odd 20 minutes here and there early evening once they've gone home. After all, their parents can't do their ironing while they're at work so I don't see why we should need to (and believe me I have an awful lot).

mushpea
19-10-2010, 12:35 PM
thanks for your oppions folks,,, after all that he fell asleep watching tv so i did the ironing then,,, I never do the ironing when the mindess are here because i ususaly have either 3 or 4 under 5's but as it worked out today i only had him and he is so good bless him plus when he watchs tv he dosent move an inch everr!!!!,, plus i could (and have) shut the living room gate so i can see him and the tv and ensure his saftey but not an issue now.
I also end up doing at the weekends,, but as I am now going to be working saturdays too I want to get in a routine of washing and ironing after tea when the mindess have gone home so saturdays can be family day only.

ORKSIE
19-10-2010, 12:41 PM
I dont think ironing should be done whilst your working...even when LO is sleeping. sposing the door bell goes, you answer the door, LO wakes up!!!!!!!:eek:
Far to scarey to even think about. Sorry, MO :thumbsup:

claire1980
19-10-2010, 12:59 PM
I'd have to say no, as other people have said "what if" etc...

I always end up doing mine in the evening when my 2 are in bed...:(

bekki0405
19-10-2010, 01:10 PM
I personally would never iron, risk assessment or not. I know we're a home from home, but I think the risks far outweigh the benefits.
I think Ofsted would have a fit if they called round, and my own personal opinion is I'm being payed to look after the children, so I feel guilty about doing household chores which the children cannot help with.

mushpea
19-10-2010, 01:11 PM
I dont think ironing should be done whilst your working...even when LO is sleeping. sposing the door bell goes, you answer the door, LO wakes up!!!!!!!:eek:

unless he climbs over 2 stairgates he wouldnt be able to get to it,,, the iron board is behind a stair gate and if the door goes i would have put it in the kitchen behind another stairgate so faill to the need for the :eek: look,,,

~Chelle~
19-10-2010, 01:13 PM
I personally would never iron, risk assessment or not. I know we're a home from home, but I think the risks far outweigh the benefits.
I think Ofsted would have a fit if they called round, and my own personal opinion is I'm being payed to look after the children, so I feel guilty about doing household chores which the children cannot help with.

:thumbsup:

My thoughts exactly, there is no way I would iron whilst I am working x

ClaireCM
19-10-2010, 01:19 PM
unless he climbs over 2 stairgates he wouldnt be able to get to it,,, the iron board is behind a stair gate and if the door goes i would have put it in the kitchen behind another stairgate so faill to the need for the :eek: look,,,

This is exactly my situation, if ever I iron, which I will admit I have done whilst mindees have been here, the children are asleep or transfixed with the TV and under my constant supervision. If one were to stir or door/phone goes etc, I have already stated that I put the iron in the kitchen (no access) and even then to the back of the high kitchen unit out of reach.
I fail to see why everyone is so horrified at the idea, if we are responsible and careful adults.

caz3007
19-10-2010, 01:19 PM
I never ironed when looking after my own 3 children when they were around and certainly wouldnt when mindies were around. I always iron in front of the tv in the evening or at the weekend.

My sister burnt herself with an iron when she was small and my mum was always careful, this in itself meant I always ironed when my own children werent around

miss mopple
19-10-2010, 01:41 PM
I dont think ironing should be done whilst your working...even when LO is sleeping. sposing the door bell goes, you answer the door, LO wakes up!!!!!!!
Far to scarey to even think about. Sorry, MO

I put the iron on when the kids are here to iron their hama beads etc as I'm sure many others do, so safety wise I see no difference. I wouldn't set up to iron clothes while the kids are awake as I don't have time , but occasionally do as they nap if I'm really behind with it and dont see it as a problem. I treat nap time as my break, what I do in it is up to me (within reason ;) )

funfunfun
19-10-2010, 03:49 PM
Whats ironing :rolleyes: :laughing:

Was thinking the same " is that a new word " :laughing:

no seriouslly i have a " no " in my head when it comes to ironing

angeldelight
19-10-2010, 04:00 PM

A no from me also

Angel xx

louised
19-10-2010, 04:27 PM
I do, depending on how many and what age the children are, for years I didn't because I was worried about safety but if I've only got a 4 year old or a younger child who is asleep then I do it and it's out of the way before the weekend. I never leave the iron unattended and would switch it off and move it before answering the phone or door

mamasheshe
19-10-2010, 04:34 PM
what is this ironing your talking about :laughing:

ajs
19-10-2010, 04:44 PM
i don't know now that eyfs has come in what the rules are but when i registered under early years ironing was an instant suspension of registration.

in my opinion it is a definite no to ironing while working.

and i agree with pip it is a chore too far

LOOPYLISA
19-10-2010, 04:53 PM

My iron's have a habbit of falling of the board :rolleyes: honestly :D

I have had 3 this yr ooppppsssss

And with no iron what a girl to do :laughing:

glitzygal
19-10-2010, 05:04 PM
I think you will find that if ofsted came to your door, you would be in trouble, even if they were asleep, its the just in case bit, one touch and they would have your head. ikwim:panic:

a childminder friend got in trouble with the iron board up, iron in cupboard not even used, it was up from night before.

be very careful parents may have an opinion and may not be happy.

Alibali
19-10-2010, 05:23 PM
I was asked at my pre reg visit if I would iron when the children were here, I said no, and they said thats good because it is completely inappropriate to iron whilst minding. Wouldn't risk it in case they turned up unannounced!

ajs
19-10-2010, 05:30 PM
another thought if we want to be treated like professionals then we need to act like professionals. nursery staff would not be allowed to iron whilst working.
and as for hama beads i leave then until the children have gone home and do them at night and return them next time i see the children

nokidshere
19-10-2010, 05:43 PM
I wouldn't iron whilst mindees are here but thats only because I do it in front of the tv each sunday evening!

I don't see the problem if a child is asleep though.

Heaven Scent
19-10-2010, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't risk it - If I was despirate I may iron an item (if I had guaranteed sleepers) while they were asleep - but otherwise its a HUGE NO NO - suits me fine anyway - if I worked in an office my family couldn't expect me to take the housework with me so why should I run myself ragged trying to do it while working at home - DH doesn't take a pile of ironing and board and Iron to work with him to do when he gets a spare minute and in his line of work he gets lots of spare minutes!!!!

Pipsqueak
19-10-2010, 07:37 PM
I fail to see why everyone is so horrified at the idea, if we are responsible and careful adults.

For me its not a case of safety - as I believe that as adults with something like that we are as careful as we possibly can be.

However, what it boils down to - we are homebased childcare providers, the beauty of minding is involving children in life learning skills etc but this has obviously got to be practical and within reason and I do not believe ironing falls within that remit. I am a professional and therefore even behind closed doors during working hours I take my job seriously.

We can involve the children in so many types of activity (and hey it makes it fun for us as well) but ironing is not really something you can involve a child imo.

Louise B
19-10-2010, 08:03 PM
I tried to imagine how I would feel if my kids were with a minder who was ironing. I wouldn't like it to be honest. I've never ironed with mine around. Having said that, I haven't ironed for 3 years, my tumble dryer does it for me!! lol.
xx

welshcake
19-10-2010, 08:11 PM
I have but however, the one mindee i had was asleep in a travel cot and it was a ten minute job knowing she would sleep for 2 hours normally.

I wouldnt do it if she was awake thou far too dangerous....x

babs
19-10-2010, 08:15 PM
its a no from me anyway whats an iron never heard of one .... i pay someone to do mine:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

welshcake
19-10-2010, 08:19 PM
its a no from me anyway whats an iron never heard of one .... i pay someone to do mine:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

oooooo i like that idea..... 1st thing tomorrow i shall make my enquiries about someone doing my ironing x

~Chelle~
19-10-2010, 08:19 PM
This is exactly my situation, if ever I iron, which I will admit I have done whilst mindees have been here, the children are asleep or transfixed with the TV and under my constant supervision. If one were to stir or door/phone goes etc, I have already stated that I put the iron in the kitchen (no access) and even then to the back of the high kitchen unit out of reach.

Because we are paid to look after other peoples children, not put them in front of the tv whilst we do our ironing!:rolleyes:

I would be horrified if I was paying someone to mind my children and turned up early one day to find them sat in front of the tv whilst my minder was ironing, wouldn't you?? :huh:

They do not pay you to do your housework, they pay you to look after their children!

juejue
19-10-2010, 08:35 PM
I wouldn't do it myself.......only because I don't iron. DD does it.
But If I did have to do it and the children were asleep.. I don't see a problem with it.
I am sure the childminders who do iron put the mindees safety first.

I sometimes start my tea if the children are asleep, but 9 times out of 10 I just sit down with a nice cuppa or tidy up all the toys.

miffy
19-10-2010, 08:38 PM
It's a no for me too!

Miffy xx

catswhiskers
19-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Also for me, I've just finished a pile of ironing!

The Juggler
19-10-2010, 09:57 PM
It's a no for me too!

Miffy xx

me too!:thumbsup:

ORKSIE
19-10-2010, 10:28 PM

I wasnt havin a go....I was just giving my Opinion. :)

But even so ....I would NOT do any ironing whilst minding..i am not having a go...just giving my HO :thumbsup:

mushpea
20-10-2010, 06:01 AM
Because we are paid to look after other peoples children, not put them in front of the tv whilst we do our ironing!:rolleyes:

I would be horrified if I was paying someone to mind my children and turned up early one day to find them sat in front of the tv whilst my minder was ironing, wouldn't you?? :huh:

They do not pay you to do your housework, they pay you to look after their children!

I wasnt putting him infront of the tv so i could do the ironing he has about 30mins tv chill out time in the afternoon, normaly i sit and do paperwork but it was up to date, what would you like me to do whilst he has his tv time,, join in with the tv acting to entertain him??
and as for the comment about us being proffesional I am a proffesional and deeply offened you would suggest i am not, what do you do when yours are asleep then or watching tv?? is it proffesional to sit and have a coffee when they do this?
I never thought that trying to decide weather to do a small pile of ironing while he watched his tv and chilled out for a bit would cause such a fuss,, i did risk asses it and made it all safe,,in the end he fell asleep so i did it anyway or maybe it would have been more proffesional to sit there with my feet up for half hour while he slept!

sweets
20-10-2010, 06:55 AM
i cant see the problem in doing it if mindees are asleep, ive done it. As for the point in what if the doorbell goes or what if the mindees wake up then you do the sensible thing of unplugging the iron and putting it up on the kitchen worktop for safety!!

i understand that parents are paying for us to look after their children but we are HOME carers and people iron at home. if i had a sensible 4 year old watching his usual 30 mins tv then yes i would do a few bits if needing doing. i dont believe in paying with children ALL the time they need to learn to play by themselves and with each other without adult interfernce, i do most of my paperwork and bits of housework while theya re playing but i get plenty of opportunities to play with them too.
also how annoying would it be if you were watching tv for a bit of chill out time and had someone sitting next to you talking about what is going on and commenting!! personally i would tell them to go away. lol

~Chelle~
20-10-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by ~Chelle~
Because we are paid to look after other peoples children, not put them in front of the tv whilst we do our ironing!

I would be horrified if I was paying someone to mind my children and turned up early one day to find them sat in front of the tv whilst my minder was ironing, wouldn't you??

Mushpea: - I wasnt putting him infront of the tv so i could do the ironing he has about 30mins tv chill out time in the afternoon, normaly i sit and do paperwork but it was up to date, what would you like me to do whilst he has his tv time,, join in with the tv acting to entertain him??
and as for the comment about us being proffesional I am a proffesional and deeply offened you would suggest i am not, what do you do when yours are asleep then or watching tv?? is it proffesional to sit and have a coffee when they do this?
I never thought that trying to decide weather to do a small pile of ironing while he watched his tv and chilled out for a bit would cause such a fuss,, i did risk asses it and made it all safe,,in the end he fell asleep so i did it anyway or maybe it would have been more proffesional to sit there with my feet up for half hour while he slept!

You will see that my reply was NOT directed towards your comment but someone else's, I have attached the WHOLE quote above :thumbsup:

But you did ask everyone's OWN opinion on whether it was right or not to iron whilst minding and I gave that!

( Mushpea:- I have a almost 4yrold today and wonded ,, whilst he has his half hour tv time this after noon is it wrong to do the ironing? i ususaly only sit there or do paper work so wanted to get a bit of house work done
would you do it in this situation?)

Have you contacted Ofsted to see what their opinion is?????

angeldelight
20-10-2010, 07:19 AM
I am terrible when I have the iron in my hand

I have burnt myself a number of times and it really really hurts and is sore for ages

For that reason alone knowing how much it hurts I would not like to risk a child getting hurt / burnt with a iron

Oh we know someone who lets their child do the ironing - the child is 9 :eek:

Mad

Angel xxx

LOOPYLISA
20-10-2010, 08:40 AM

I have burnt myself a number of times and it really really hurts and is sore for ages

For that reason alone knowing how much it hurts I would not like to risk a child getting hurt / burnt with a iron

Mad

Angel xxx

:eek: oh my goodness, even im not safe with the iron let along a 9yr old :(

Dd came down the other day and asked if she could iron her top, shes 13 in feb , i did let her have a go whilst stood nearly on top of her, worried the life out of me :laughing:

JCrakers
20-10-2010, 09:07 AM
I wouldnt iron with mindees as I dont get time.

My 11yr old son loves ironing......I dont say no as his Dad is ****** useless at it, his Mum never taught him to do anything.
Got to teach them young :)
Although my 8yr old asks to do some I say no

Rubybubbles
20-10-2010, 09:34 AM
NO!

I wouldn't! Doing paperwork whilst a child is having rest time or nap is fine as it is part of the job! But ironing, I can't see how you could even link that with anything that benifits the child let alone the risk!

I

Chatterbox Childcare
20-10-2010, 09:47 AM
I would not iron if the children were present and awake but do occasionally if they are asleeep. I always find that there are other domestic things that can be done.

nokidshere
20-10-2010, 10:34 AM

Mad

Angel xxx

Both my boys like to iron - they are 11 & 9! Nothing wrong with teaching them to look after themselves!

ClaireCM
20-10-2010, 10:36 AM
I do enjoy that this post has caused such a response despite the fast that myself and about 2 other members seem to be battling against everyone else!! I just think that people have become too scared for their own good.
I am confident that I know my mindees and when they sleep they are out for the count. I iron during that time..... :eek: They do not wake up in under 2 hours and the 2 hour limit is when I have to use my fog horn to wake them up, not even when they are ready to wake up themselves!!! They are also very bright and very sensible young children, they know what the iron is and that they must not ever touch it or go near it. These arent my teachings, I dont wave a hot iron in front of them and teach them about it, they have learnt this from home. And please, someone enlighten me, how on earth do mothers ever get all their ironing done at home???? Their children are there 24/7!!! If you cant even iron when children are asleep then god only knows when you can or when you will ever find the time to do it!!!!!!!!!!

AliceK
20-10-2010, 10:48 AM
Like someone else has said I would not feel professional doing my ironing whilst being paid to do my job. IF a parent came early I can't imagine they would be best pleased to see me ironing even if their LO is having some TV time. I might know that I only got the iron out for half an hour and that I had RA everything but they wouldn't know that and if I were that parent I would not be happy at all. I would rather catch up with some paperwork or mop the floor than ever get the iron out when I'm working. As for my own children I usually iron when they are in bed but if I'm doing it when they are about my DD (3yrs) isn't allowed near the ironing board, I'm paranoid about a child knocking the ironing board and the iron falling on their head.

xxxxxx

Chatterbox Childcare
20-10-2010, 10:48 AM
I do enjoy that this post has caused such a response despite the fast that myself and about 2 other members seem to be battling against everyone else!! I just think that people have become too scared for their own good.
I am confident that I know my mindees and when they sleep they are out for the count. I iron during that time..... :eek: They do not wake up in under 2 hours and the 2 hour limit is when I have to use my fog horn to wake them up, not even when they are ready to wake up themselves!!! They are also very bright and very sensible young children, they know what the iron is and that they must not ever touch it or go near it. These arent my teachings, I dont wave a hot iron in front of them and teach them about it, they have learnt this from home. And please, someone enlighten me, how on earth do mothers ever get all their ironing done at home???? Their children are there 24/7!!! If you cant even iron when children are asleep then god only knows when you can or when you will ever find the time to do it!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think you are in a battle. I think that others say that they do iron whilst the children are in bed but not if they are awake (watching tv). Others say an emphatic no but they might have other things to do. My little ones are like yours, 2 hours and no waking them.

Parents have the choice, we don't and I think that if we told Ofsted that we were ironing whilst they are awake then we would have a safeguarding action against us unless we could prove that they were safe. I couldn't as I would be downstairs and the mindees upstairs where I couldn't see them.

Answering another post - yes you should be with them whilst they are watching tv on my opinion!!

mushpea
20-10-2010, 10:49 AM
oh dear what have it started:littleangel:

I think as the last post said we all Know our own children and i know my own,, to say its not proffesional and 'have i asked ofsted about this' is taking the ' own oppions' a bit to far. No obvously i have not asked ofsted about this but then as long as its risked accesed and the children in my care are safe then i dont see why i need to ask them,, I know the child well enough and did it all safe so i am not bothered anymore.. never nomaly do ido the ironing whilst children are here it was a one off cause never do i normaly have a day where i have only one child.
as for paying me to iron while i look after their child , well what else shud i do when hes asleep.
also parents dont take ironging to work but nor do they take the washing, hoover or duster to work but that seems to be ok to do whilst working,,
I just wonded what every one else though/did,,,,ah well

JCrakers
20-10-2010, 10:53 AM

Love your answer :D

And.....Should we even be mopping the floor as that could cause someone to slip over?

Pipsqueak
20-10-2010, 11:38 AM

No one has accused you of NOT being professional, what I done where I have referenced this is MY opinion. It is not a slur or slight about you or anyone else and I apologise if its offended anyone. whenever i express views like that - they are my own particular way of working and thinking and never meant to upset others.

What do I do when the bairns are sleeping - I catch up on paperwork, do some phone calls for my support or vacancy calls, do some research or study, tidy up. I MIGHT just have a coffee in that time, rarely sat with my feet up though.

What do I do when the children are engrossed in play - I observe, take notes, do some paperwork, might do an odd household chore like sweeping the floor if need be.

During my working day/hours - everything I do is work related, if its a domestic chore such as shopping, washing, tidying - the children can be involved in as a learning experience.

You asked for opinions and then because I presume some of the answers are what you want to hear you hit the virtual dislike button. Fair enough - your perogative of course but you are going to hear different sides to views and opinions and have to take it on the chin if you have asked for it.

Pipsqueak
20-10-2010, 11:46 AM
: They do not wake up in under 2 hours and the 2 hour limit is when I have to uI do enjoy that this post has caused such a response despite the fast that myself and about 2 other members seem to be battling against everyone else!! I just think that people have become too scared for their own good.
I am confident that I know my mindees and when they sleep they are out for the count. I iron during that time..... :eekse my fog horn to wake them up, not even when they are ready to wake up themselves!!! They are also very bright and very sensible young children, they know what the iron is and that they must not ever touch it or go near it. These arent my teachings, I dont wave a hot iron in front of them and teach them about it, they have learnt this from home. And please, someone enlighten me, how on earth do mothers ever get all their ironing done at home???? Their children are there 24/7!!! If you cant even iron when children are asleep then god only knows when you can or when you will ever find the time to do it!!!!!!!!!!

I agree that its caused a discussion not a battle:)

I think there is a world of difference in parents doing ironing around their offspring to a childminder who is being paid to look after children doing their ironing (during working hours). To me there are some 'household jobs' that just don't get done whilst you are working, as quite apart from the safety aspects it cannot be reconciled to be within a learning aspect.

I will enlighten you of course - how do mothers get it done - again reference the last paragraph (sorry all this sounds supercillious - don't mean it too) - my ironing as a mother - gets done at the weekends or evenings or days off in past. Recently I have delegated to eldest son or husband and this gets done at the weekend.

I am a busy minder - have several children in the EYFS age range, plus other age children for various hours throughout the week, I also attend uni and have to study not to mention being a support and vacancy childminder oh and on top of that I am a mum of 3 - I manage to 'fit' it all in.

JCrakers
20-10-2010, 11:48 AM
I MIGHT just have a coffee in that time, rarely sat with my feet up though.

I always find time to have a sit down and a coffee.
When I first started childminding I felt guilty sitting down but after time I know Im entitled to a sit down especially when Im working 10hrs a day.
Hubbie gets an hrs lunch break when he goes into the office, so I sit down with a coffee when the kids are asleep :D

~Chelle~
20-10-2010, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireCM

I fail to see why everyone is so horrified at the idea, if we are responsible and careful adults

I am confident that I know my mindees and when they sleep they are out for the count. I iron during that time...

You have back tracked a bit, now you only do it whilst they are asleep yet in your earlier post you do it whilst they are asleep or "transfixed to the tv" :rolleyes:

And please, someone enlighten me, how on earth do mothers ever get all their ironing done at home???? Their children are there 24/7!!! If you cant even iron when children are asleep then god only knows when you can or when you will ever find the time to do it!!!!!!!!!!
You iron at evenings and weekends or when your own children are in bed ;)

Pipsqueak
20-10-2010, 12:08 PM
I always find time to have a sit down and a coffee.
When I first started childminding I felt guilty sitting down but after time I know Im entitled to a sit down especially when Im working 10hrs a day.
Hubbie gets an hrs lunch break when he goes into the office, so I sit down with a coffee when the kids are asleep :D

Absolutely - I agree about the break - that is not what I am disputing. I (by by own choices and design) am extremely busy - I work hard and I play hard and I 'fit' things in round what I do. So instead of doing reams of paperwork in the evenings and weekends (like so many say they do) I do my paperwork as I go (as best as possible) thus leaving my weekends and days off fre to do hosuework and study and for my own family for instance.

I do have a 'break' - I sit down with the children for lunch and snacks.

welshcake
20-10-2010, 12:19 PM
:eek:

All i can add is, i have 3 little boys of my own who rung circles round me when i get the ironning out it is a small pile one of my lads grab the wooden ironning board and they all take it in turn to iron. It is teaching them valuable life skills as their father is a lazy a** and woudnt know where to even begin.

I do iron when my mindee is asleep as she is gone out for count for 2 hours. I dont see any wrong in it as i dont have a lunch break where by i am away from the children like nursery schools etc etc. we are paid to take care of the children whilst in our care but the wage we get is not minimum wage by the hour and therefore people choose child minders for their child to be in a home environment.

I dont agree doing it whilst they r awake but thats my choice but yea whilst she is sparko i really dont see anything wrong with it at all.

Everyone is different and is entitled to their opinion that should be respected. there is no right and wrong way as long as the child is safe and well cared for that is all at matters.

Just because you do the odd house hold chore doesnt make you unprofessional or less worthy of caring for a child.

LOOPYLISA
20-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Wow is this thread still going !

You are not really helping as everytime i see the title ironing i look over into my diner and see a huge pile of mine :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing:

I really think its a personal choice :thumbsup:

welshcake
20-10-2010, 12:32 PM

You are not really helping as everytime i see the title ironing i look over into my diner and see a huge pile of mine :laughing:

mushpea
20-10-2010, 03:59 PM
I am happy for oppions from either side of the fence,, what i object to was being told i was not proffesional just because the one day i have an older child that would either be having a (unexpected) nap or his half hour tv time that i did the ironing.
everyone is entitled to their oppinion and i actutlay find it quite interesting to see everyones views and also to know that i am not alone in my oppinion

mushpea
20-10-2010, 04:00 PM

thats me at the weekend normally and it never gets any smaller!

LOOPYLISA
20-10-2010, 04:02 PM
thats me at the weekend normally and it never gets any smaller!

Its still there, i have shut the doors on it now :laughing:

Last night we heard something fall in there it was the ironing basket :blush: :laughing: must do it tomorrow...well maybe :D

mushpea
20-10-2010, 04:11 PM
ah but tommoro never comes and what you cant see cant hurt:laughing:

ajs
20-10-2010, 04:17 PM
can i just ask if anyone mows the lawn while they are working

miss mopple
20-10-2010, 04:20 PM

I havent mowed the lawn in the 17yrs Ive had hubby :laughing:

He does mow it while Im working but the kids are inside ( I'm not set up for freeflow and never will be but thats a whole other matter). He's even been known to put the ironing board up while Im working if he's running low on shirts. Don't see it as a problem as it's his home too and he isn't working. As long as I'm watching the kids it's not an issue.

mushpea
20-10-2010, 04:21 PM
havent got one of those,,, we paved the whole garden so the children could use it all year round

georgie456
20-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Wow this thread is interesting! Personally I would! I see absolutely no problem with it. I can't comment any more or I might start ranting about the fact that we should be risk assessing about whether it's safe or not to do a quick bit of ironing.

PixiePetal
20-10-2010, 04:33 PM

I have to say I did once. Don't shoot me down!

1 mindee asleep in buggy in the sitting room overlooking garden, postage stamp sized garden in which the grass was so long it made it difficult for a crawler.

It was a few summers ago (pre EYFS so no LJs to do in 'down time' :) ) I had lunch and looked at the garden through patio doors just thought '*** it' - rained most of August but for once it was a dry day - never at the weekend is it! When the grass was long it never dried out much as sun went off garden by lunchtime.

Took me 10 mins max- said it was small! Mower away and we could play out after sleep :thumbsup:

Not saying this was right or wrong but, there you go - I did it!

Wouldn't do it now - moved house and have huge garden - DH uses the tractor mower :thumbsup:

welshcake
20-10-2010, 04:36 PM

Yep i do and i will tell you why.

I have done it once because it was a lovely day, we put our wellies on and a coats and i gave my mindee her little wheel barrow and pretend lawn mower and off she went, she picked up leaves and loved every minute of it. granted i didnt have neat lines and have a tiny lawn but the lawn mower would not of caused her any harm as once i let go it triggered it to switch off.

she had one of the best days going and loved every minute of it, it ticked so mnay boxes with EYFS and as far as risk assesment goes it was totally safe and covered it from every angle.

Again my choice was professional in the way i made sure it was safe she had her own little tools and she was full of the joys of spring doing it. x

georgie456
20-10-2010, 04:40 PM

Yes! And the kids loved raking it up afterwards.

LOOPYLISA
20-10-2010, 04:46 PM
I havent mowed the lawn in the 17yrs Ive had hubby :laughing:

He does mow it while Im working but the kids are inside ( I'm not set up for freeflow and never will be but thats a whole other matter). He's even been known to put the ironing board up while Im working if he's running low on shirts. Don't see it as a problem as it's his home too and he isn't working. As long as I'm watching the kids it's not an issue.

I havnt touched a lawn mower in 8 yrs :D

Hubs job :thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
20-10-2010, 04:48 PM

I suppose its like the (old) thread about should we be doing our (full on) weekly shop when minding or taking the kids shoe shopping for us/own kids.

I will just reiterate for the final time -I was not casting doubt on anyones professionalism - I was telling it from my own POV and experiences. Given that we want to be taken seriously and on an equal footing with other care providers i think we have to take an overall look at what we, how we do it and why. Thinking in that way as well - don't think it would go down to well if the nursery teacher decided to get her ironing out or the y5 teacher decided to give a lesson about internet shopping for baby clothes (yes real life situation and she managed to order lots of things from next!!!!!)

karen m
20-10-2010, 06:32 PM
I think this is a no no,to such an extent that i knew i was meant to be on course tonight (cancelled) as i have a child come at 5.50 i get up at 5 ,did my ironing at 5.20 this morning i no must be mad

kymberly
11-11-2010, 08:41 PM
Yeah, I have to agree - I'm sure most parents have safely done their ironing while their children are around.

I don't think it's a horrifically risky task to complete while mindees are asleep or contently watching tv. Especially a 4 year old. Perhaps not with a 0-3 year old though. I think as we are home from home and this is a natural chore that many mums carry out when their children are playing, to do so while mindees are asleep/watching TV is fine. One of the benefits from working from home is that you can carry out the odd chore when things are quiet.

For me though, I never get a quiet moment, mine are always on the go.

BlondeMoment
11-11-2010, 08:54 PM
I think as long as you've got the sense never to leave it unattended, or in reach then why not. We all have things to do! In my old Nanny job, ironing was part of the job description and the kids were always around so I put up a baby gate at the kitchen door so they couldn't come flying in, and did it at a time when they were happy to play or watching TV after lunch. It's not a crime to leave them to play alone in a room so long as we've got our eye on them
It's the same when we're cooking. We keep in control of things that can burn then. Ironing is the same.

kymberly
11-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Exactly BlondeMoment, LOVE the name and photo :D :thumbsup:

glitzygal
11-11-2010, 09:36 PM
I think ofsted would not be happy, risk ass or not, if you are unsure then ring them,:panic: :panic:

I know some one had a big telling off for hoovering imagine if it was ironing, if i have to clear up anything, i use dust pan and brush.

wouldnt iron even if they were sleep, big no no in my head.

kymberly
11-11-2010, 10:00 PM
Told off for hoovering?? Why?

The Juggler
12-11-2010, 07:35 AM
Told off for hoovering?? Why?

was just thinking that. I often hoover up our activity mess and hoover the after tea carnage

snufflepuff
12-11-2010, 08:07 AM
I have had to hoover in the past. Not the whole house or anything, just one room after the LO's have made lots of mess. They love it when i get the hoover out! I'd rather that than leave the mess to get spread round the house or for babies to pick up and put in their mouths.
I'm not sure i see what the problem is?

ORKSIE
12-11-2010, 08:14 AM
Dont see a problem with hoovering...I often hoover after doing a messy activity....esp when that Glitter gets everywhere:laughing:

BlondeMoment
15-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Exactly BlondeMoment, LOVE the name and photo :D :thumbsup:

My life is one big blonde moment LOL!!!!!
Thanks x x x :)

BlondeMoment
15-11-2010, 01:29 PM
was just thinking that. I often hoover up our activity mess and hoover the after tea carnage

Crikey! I have to hoover everyday aftyer tea as we eat in the lounge. Otherwise they'd be all playing in squashed bits of pasta and tomato etc! Hygeinic!!!!!
I've got a Henry with a cute face and the kids love him and all have a turn!

Daftbat
15-11-2010, 02:25 PM
I would only ever iron while working if the children were sleeping.

Same here unless the child was older say 7 or 8 years and i needed to iron something urgently - then it would only be the one thing.

ORKSIE
15-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Crikey! I have to hoover everyday aftyer tea as we eat in the lounge. Otherwise they'd be all playing in squashed bits of pasta and tomato etc! Hygeinic!!!!!
I've got a Henry with a cute face and the kids love him and all have a turn!

I love those Henry's...they are sooooo cute:clapping: :clapping:

Daftbat
15-11-2010, 02:26 PM

The child sleeping would be upstairs in a cot at my house so even if they woke up there would be no issue.

Daftbat
15-11-2010, 02:34 PM
I wouldn't risk it - If I was despirate I may iron an item (if I had guaranteed sleepers) while they were asleep - but otherwise its a HUGE NO NO - suits me fine anyway - if I worked in an office my family couldn't expect me to take the housework with me so why should I run myself ragged trying to do it while working at home - DH doesn't take a pile of ironing and board and Iron to work with him to do when he gets a spare minute and in his line of work he gets lots of spare minutes!!!!

When I worked in an office I didn't work until 8pm or later and start at 630am either. I just managed to get mine done last night and I do mine normally anyway at the weekend or the evening. However, I see nothing wrong with a childminder doing half an hours ironing whilst a small child is napping upstairs with a baby monitor close by. Even if the child wakes there is time to put the board and iron away and get to the child quickly. Its all a question of being sensible. I have to mop the kitchen floor whilst I am working since I have a dog and the children themselves who walk dirt in and out from the garden - is this awful too???? Of course not - I ensure the floor is dry before they walk on it again and in the meantime we do some other activity in another room - please......lets have some common sense.

BlondeMoment
15-11-2010, 02:36 PM
When I worked in an office I didn't work until 8pm or later and start at 630am either. I just managed to get mine done last night and I do mine normally anyway at the weekend or the evening. However, I see nothing wrong with a childminder doing half an hours ironing whilst a small child is napping upstairs with a baby monitor close by. Even if the child wakes there is time to put the board and iron away and get to the child quickly. Its all a question of being sensible. I have to mop the kitchen floor whilst I am working since I have a dog and the children themselves who walk dirt in and out from the garden - is this awful too???? Of course not - I ensure the floor is dry before they walk on it again and in the meantime we do some other activity in another room - please......lets have some common sense.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

ORKSIE
15-11-2010, 02:37 PM
The child sleeping would be upstairs in a cot at my house so even if they woke up there would be no issue.

I guess i am looking at this from my perspective.
My LO's sleep downstairs:thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
15-11-2010, 02:38 PM
I love those Henry's...they are sooooo cute:clapping: :clapping:

My mindee was lovingly talking to one when we were at my friends house the other day.
lol

ORKSIE
15-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Oh and for the record......Im a lazy Cow, I dont do ironing:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

ORKSIE
15-11-2010, 02:41 PM
My mindee was lovingly talking to one when we were at my friends house the other day.
lol

Awwwww i can see the attraction LOL:laughing:

BlondeMoment
15-11-2010, 02:50 PM
lol

LMAO!!!!!
A friend had to buy her LO a toy one as he loved the big one so much lol

em29
15-11-2010, 03:18 PM
I have to hoover about twice a day - the children always make a mess 3 under 2's eating snacks and lunch make a huge mess and arts and crafts etc No sooner have i hoovered then it needs doing again. They play with the toy hoovers when i do it or run round screaming have a great time! Nothing wrong with it and it is part of health ans safety.
The day they say to stop hoovering in minding hours is the day i quit:thumbsup: