PDA

View Full Version : Baby wipes Vs hand washing!

buzzy bee
19-10-2010, 08:39 AM
At what age do you start washing their hands before food etc? At the moment, with my 18mnth old i just use baby wipes but wondering if this is okay in the eyes of ofsted?

Ali56
19-10-2010, 09:31 AM
I would imagine if the child is walking and mobile Mrs O is going to want you to wash their hands with soap and water. I know for my ERS and in the green book we are given that soap and water is definately king!!
Its good practice as soon as they are able anyway, and a little 'play' in the water is educational!:laughing:
HTH :D

SaijaM
19-10-2010, 11:54 AM
I have 12 month old mindee and 13 month old DD and I wash both of their hands all the time.. just need to carry them to the sink, but I think this is better and cleaner.. and saves on babywipes :)

And they love the running water like crazies.. :clapping:

xx Saija

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
19-10-2010, 12:00 PM
when i was last inspected all my lo's were under 2 and mrs ofsted said wet wipes were fine x

sillysausage
19-10-2010, 01:17 PM
I generally start handwashing at the bathroom sink as soon as a child can walk. I have a step stool that is 2 steps high (so bigger than the ones you use for children to be able to climb up to the toilet etc IYSWIM) and even my littlest mindee was able to reach quite well....better than at the supposedly child height sinks in the local children's centre lol!

Playmate
19-10-2010, 01:39 PM
As soon as mine are able to stand at my child size sink or on a stool :D

teacake2
19-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Mine are all just 2 and I still use wipes with them, I am not taking all 3 of them upstairs everytime they need to wash hands neither am I taking them all into the kitchen at the moment, they are all very good and ask me for a wipe everytime we have done an activity, have had nappies changed or are about to eat something.
I will obviously get them used to washing but at the moment they are at the stage where they will not share anything, won't take turns properly and my sink/bowl in the kitchen is not big enough for all of them anyway.
Teacake2

caz3007
19-10-2010, 05:22 PM
I use wipes with mine but do wash hands if particularly messy. I once looked after the grandchild of a woman who ran a pre school and she commented on my using wipes cos they used them all the time

Mazz
20-10-2010, 01:43 PM
At my first inspection I had a 3 year old and a 7 month old and Mrs O said I was to take them both to the sink and wash their hands! :rolleyes:

flowerpots
20-10-2010, 07:28 PM
i have been washing my dd and ds hands since they were babies, as soon as they were mobile it was normal for them to go and wash they're hands if they need to or before/after eating. mindees have all got ito a routine of regular hand washing now and the youngest is 17months. they love it!!!

i do have a down stairs bathroom though so very easy to just send them through to wash they're hands.

sarah707
20-10-2010, 07:42 PM
At my first inspection I had a 3 year old and a 7 month old and Mrs O said I was to take them both to the sink and wash their hands! :rolleyes:

I have been told this by 2 inspectors!

I was told to wash even tiny babies hands before and after meals and after nappy changes (to get them in good habits).

Then also of course after messy play, garden etc.

I usually do a small, stable bowl of very gently soaped water for the very little ones and let them play in the bubbles.

I just put the bowl on a towel so it doesn't slip and hold them where they can put their hands in comfortably.

Then empty it out so each child has fresh water.

It's hard with some children - I had one years ago who screamed as he hated water. We did loads of water play but it didn't seem to help and he physically shook before meal times / after nappies etc because I was taking him to wash his hands.

Another child had hand eczema and mum wrote requesting I limited the times he got his hands washed as she believed the water and friction was making them worse. Mum used to supply gloves for outside and messy play and I'd use Diprobase in warm water and make sure they were properly dry afterwards, then put on more Diprobase.

Hth :D

Helcatt
20-10-2010, 08:06 PM
I've always taken them to the sink as soon as they can walk. I did asked Mrs O when she was here last year and she said she prefered to see them washed at the sink. But I do have a downstairs loo, would not have been so practical at my old house with only one loo upstairs

HX

babs
20-10-2010, 08:14 PM
i take mine as soon as they can walk to.. but dont use baby wipes i use a flannel with warm soapy water on before and after snacks,meals, play etc .. then dry off with another flannel just big enough for small hands, only time i use baby wipe is after nappy change...

buzzy bee
20-10-2010, 08:17 PM
THanks for all the responses!

I don't have a downstairs loo so the only options are to take them all upstairs or to take them to the kitchen sink, or do the bowl of water like sarah. it's a good idea just seems so long winded when a baby wipe is so quick LOL! I might start doing this tho... seems like all the ofsted inspectprs are TOTALLY different!