PDA

View Full Version : help with the books (or not)!!

elliez
18-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Just in the throws of setting up and worry a little about keeping my accounts etc. Is it worth getting an accountant who knows all the tips regarding what to claim back etc or is it something I should be able to do myself?? Have heard about 200-250 for a year and not sure if this is a great deal or not.....any suggestions x:rolleyes: :

Pipsqueak
18-10-2010, 09:44 PM
For what its worth, most of us do our own accounts and if I can do my accounts ANYONE can! lol

They really are quite simple to do - save all your receipts be organised and disciplined (must take own advice) and do your accounts reguarly.

Lots of advice on here from Debbie regarding what we can claim.

Libby08
19-10-2010, 10:40 AM
I live in the kingston borough and we are offered a free 'tax matters' course to teach us how to do our own accounts/taxes. Check if your area does one. I was worrying about this too and my sister in law (also childminding) has just done her first year and said it was quite easy and not to worry!

tulip0803
19-10-2010, 05:39 PM
It does seem daunting to start with but you quickly get used to it. trick is to do it as you go along (takes a few minutes each day) rather than leave it to the end of the year. Any questions and people on here will help you. Give it a go to see how you get on.

Our local tax office also runs courses for small businesses on accounts and another on filling in your tax return. They will also send someone out to help if you are really struggling here. It might be worth ringing to see if they do this in your area.

Some accountants still want you to fill accounts in each week and then they check & submit it so you may still end up doing most of it anyways.

elliez
19-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Thank you all for the advice. May give it a go after what you've said.:)