PDA

View Full Version : Diwali

Vicky7
18-10-2010, 08:42 PM
Hi All,

I am just wondering what ideas you may share for Diwali celebration traditions. I know that it is the festival of lights and you can make the clay tea light things, and im thinking perhaps some henna on hands, however i would like to visit a temple or something like that. Has anyone done anything like that.

Also i cant seem to get a clear date as to when the festival is.

I am newly registered (well beg of June) and really want to start as i mean to go on. I have pre schoolers that will be most interested and are like sponges

Thanks peeps..
:laughing:

miffy
18-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Hi Vicky and welcome to the forum.

Diwali is on 5 November this year.

Lots of ideas on this website

http://activityvillage.co.uk/diwali.htm

Also put a search in on the forum and you'll find some more ideas.

Sorry, have never visited a temple with the children

Miffy xx

Vicky7
18-10-2010, 09:29 PM
Arh.. Thanks for that, im feeling the love already!:clapping:

Pipsqueak
18-10-2010, 09:35 PM
http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/Homework/religion/diwali.htm

what about drawing on the floor (outside) with rice perhaps for Rangoli patterns.

mama2three
19-10-2010, 06:49 AM
washable felt tips work well for mehndi designs on little hands - i would be wary of using henna. Last year we incorporated lots of ict , looking up designs in the internet , and choosing our favourites..on hands and paper , then making hand paper chains to decorate the display board.

guest4
19-10-2010, 06:54 AM
Hiya!
Barfi sweets are also really easy to make and very yummy!!!!

You can look the recipe up but think its desicated coconut. condensed milk, red food colouring .......

Dancing with scarves to music, downloaded from internet is fun too!

Have a good time!!!!

Tracey x:)

miffy
19-10-2010, 06:56 AM
There's another good link here

http://underfives.co.uk/diwali.html#diwali

Miffy xx

Mollymop
19-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Thanks for the links x

maisiemog
19-10-2010, 06:15 PM
We're making the clay tealights here, having indian food for tea, trying indian sweets and making flower garlands out of tissue paper. I'm also going to have some indian music playing during our music time for them to dance to. Would love to visit a temple with them but dont think that we have one anywhere near us!

karen48
19-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Hi for diwali we have drawn a rangoli pattern onto a paper plate then glued coloured rice onto the pattern. Colour the rice with food colouring, and leave to dry overnight before using.

karen

I am just wondering what ideas you may share for Diwali celebration traditions. I know that it is the festival of lights and you can make the clay tea light things, and im thinking perhaps some henna on hands, however i would like to visit a temple or something like that. Has anyone done anything like that.

Also i cant seem to get a clear date as to when the festival is.

I am newly registered (well beg of June) and really want to start as i mean to go on. I have pre schoolers that will be most interested and are like sponges

Thanks peeps..
:laughing:[/QUOTE]

catswhiskers
19-10-2010, 09:32 PM
Thank you all for this - I have a mindee who is half Indian (Dad) but he has told me they do not speak Indian at home (grandparents do though) and Dad is as cockney speaking as myself (Londoner) but I feel I must do something for Diwali.

My own three children always did something at school for this so I'm going to give it a go!