PDA

View Full Version : The inside of pumpkins

*donnalouise*
18-10-2010, 08:10 PM
I was doing a pumpkin today with the kids (DD 3.5yr DD 13 mth , and mindee aged 7 months).

How fantastic are the slimy insides ??? (ive never done a pumpkin before!)

Only downside is my mindee started to eat the slimy stuff. :eek: Its not at all harmful is it??

Any idea's what i can do with the other pumpkin (as they were on offer), and i dont want to do the same again

Thanks

miffy
18-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Pumpkin soup? Pumpkin printing?

Hope you saved the seeds for collages

Miffy xx

*donnalouise*
18-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Ive saved the lot in a bowl with cling film on top... as they loved the stuff (especially my 3yr old daughter!!)

Pumpkin soup?? - just boil and blitz????

miffy
18-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Soup recipe here

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/7730/pumpkin-soup

There are lots similar if you google

Miffy xx

appleblossom
19-10-2010, 05:17 PM
We wash seeds, dry them, and roast them until light brown. I put a bit of salt on before roasting if they are just for us, but none if mindees will be having any. Lovely as a snack or sprinkled on risotto.

caz3007
19-10-2010, 05:24 PM
we love pumpkin soup here, I just boil it up in vegetable stock and add lots of black pepper then blend when cooked.

sweets
19-10-2010, 05:58 PM
were not talking about the slimy stringy stuff thats round the seeds here are we?

i thought it was the fleshy stuff that you scraped out to cook with? am i wrong or do you use it all?

angeldelight
19-10-2010, 06:28 PM
were not talking about the slimy stringy stuff thats round the seeds here are we?

i thought it was the fleshy stuff that you scraped out to cook with? am i wrong or do you use it all?

I have no idea

Think it all looks horrible :laughing:

Angel xx

LOOPYLISA
19-10-2010, 06:30 PM
Ewwwwww :panic:

Although ive never tried it :blush:

charleyfarley
19-10-2010, 06:55 PM
We throw our insides away :panic: :blush: Not something I fancy eating fo some reason.

We do keep the seeds though :thumbsup:

Carol xx

miffy
19-10-2010, 06:58 PM
Although ive never tried it :blush:

Me, neither.

Doesn't look that appealing to me.

I'd keep the seeds though

Miffy xx

sweets
19-10-2010, 07:05 PM
they are a bit stinky too! :laughing:

singingcactus
20-10-2010, 09:53 AM
Pumpkin is delicious!!! We roast the seeds, half with salt, half in sugar for a sweet or savoury snack. We use the flesh to make soup, and savoury pumpkin and rosemary muffins to eat with the soup. We make bread, pie (which in my opinion is yukky but the men in my family love it), all sorts of things to do with it.
The stringy bits we bag and freeze right up until trick or treat night. Then we use it as puke, coming out of the mouths of one or more carved pumpkins :D sometimes on to the head of the one underneath.