PDA

View Full Version : Shift worker - how do you charge?

Helcatt
18-10-2010, 03:34 PM
I interviewed someone this morning who is a shift worker

she needs 4 days a week max and some weeks will only need 2

The times she needs will actually fit in perfectly for when an older lad starts at nursery part time and will so this new one will arrive after he has been dropped off - with me?

She might occasionally need to drop off at 8am - currently I Can't do that but I said that I am happy to approach ofsted and ask about a variation for the hours that would cross over. I also made a point of saying that I would do that before we did contracts etc so I didn't waste her time if Ofsted said no.

So, core hours would be 5 hours, 4 days a week. occasionally going up to 8 hour days.

on the weeks that only need 2 days - one week out of 4 - would you charge a retainer of 50%? Or would you charge the core hours?

opinions please?

Thanks

Hx

miss mopple
18-10-2010, 03:42 PM
I have a shift worker who uses me 3 days a week, but the days change and sometimes include weekends.

When they started we agreed a minimum no of hours per week, whether they are used or not and they pay regardless (they always use them though!) and for that I effectively retain a full time space. If I work weekends I charge a higher hourly rate and they pay the extra as a top up

In your situation I would charge for the 4 days even on the weeks she only wanted 2 as you would struggle to fill that space.