PDA

View Full Version : Potty Training..... ON MY OWN!!!

ClaireCM
18-10-2010, 09:40 AM
I mind a little boy who is 2 1/2 years old.
His parents are insistant that he should start potty training and have provided all the necessary. We started not so long ago and I was trying really hard to encourage him and explain things to him (in my opinion he isnt ready at all, he will walk around in a nappy past his knees, and has no inclination to tell me when he has done a poo and would sit in that all day if i didnt notice it too!)
Anyway, Ive been trying really hard with him as he is slightly behind for his age in developments and I think if we dont just start, he never will!!! He was doing fairly well with doing random wees on the potty when i sat him on it, but still having sopping wet pull ups and he seems slightly confused at the whole concept!!
Made a reward chart which he LOVES, made one for them to have at home too and they didnt want it, slightly gutted!!! Came to the realisation the other day..... THEY ARENT POTTY TRAINING HIM AT HOME!!! They are expecting me to do it with him by myself. How ridiculous!!!
What on earth can I say to them???
Im lost for words!!

AliceK
18-10-2010, 12:42 PM
If that is the case then you are wasting your time. I would probably say something along the lines of asking they feel he is getting on with the potty training whilst he's at home and see what they say. You and they need to be working together on this and following the same methods. They cannot expect you to do it during his time with you and then not bother when he's at home. Are they completely mad!!! Poor little lad must be so confused:(

xxxxx

The Juggler
18-10-2010, 01:24 PM
poor you. i refuse to do potty training here unless parents have already started (and WILL CONTINUE) at home. Children who are potty training should not need to be brought to me in a pull-up

phoebe-alice
18-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Same here I potty train through the day and then their is a nappy in the little ones bag for when she goes home. Why? :panic:
She doesn't have any accidents with me, so there is no real need for nappies through the day, but parents will be parents hehe.
Hope things get sorted out with you soon.

appleblossom
18-10-2010, 04:46 PM
This isn't going to work if he isn't wearing pants at home. I would ask the parents to bring nappies again. I have a rule that if the child cannot tell me when they need the potty then they are not ready, and I will not entertain the idea of beginning potty training.

ClaireCM
19-10-2010, 08:21 AM
Im definitely going to talk to them about not continuing it here until he does not need to come in nappies. I have approached the subject before with them and asked how it is going at home, to be honest I got very little response and the question was more or less dodged!!! What makes it harder is that these are the type of parents that are a little bit clueless but also very sensitive and like to think that they are doing the very best job. To tell them in a round about way that this is not quite the case is very difficult. It has been the same with a few other subjects I have had to speak to them about, I just walk away afterwards exasperated with asking questions and taking different angles to get answers and still feeling that i have got no where!!!

AliceK
19-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Im definitely going to talk to them about not continuing it here until he does not need to come in nappies. I have approached the subject before with them and asked how it is going at home, to be honest I got very little response and the question was more or less dodged!!! What makes it harder is that these are the type of parents that are a little bit clueless but also very sensitive and like to think that they are doing the very best job. To tell them in a round about way that this is not quite the case is very difficult. It has been the same with a few other subjects I have had to speak to them about, I just walk away afterwards exasperated with asking questions and taking different angles to get answers and still feeling that i have got no where!!!

If they are dodging the question then tell them you need a meeting with them, sit them down and ask them outright in such a way that they HAVE to give you an answer. If you're not happy tell them that you don't feel he's ready and that they should try at home when they have 3 / 4 days off and once they are having success at home you will start again with it. Don't let them fob you off. It is not your job to potty train someone elses child single-handed.
Good luck. Be firm.

xxxxxx

blue bear
19-10-2010, 01:20 PM
is the child full time? I've found with full time children you can train them during the week and put in nappies to go home.

I always start on a Monday and if by Wedneday they are not at least asking occasionally then they go back in nappies and try again in two weeks. This way both child and myself come at it fresh and don't get bogged down with it. children here are potty trained between Monday and Friday, completely into pants and reliable.

I treat it as a game, once the novetly wears off we stop playing and wait until we are ready to try again.

If the children are part time it's harder and a must that parents are playing the same game.

you need to chat to parents make them realise child has not failed to train, just not ready yet and it does not matter when child trains after all no one puts it on their CV do they?
Can you collect some info on potty training for parents to read so they know what is invloved and how their input is vital, other wise there is no point confusing the child with you putting him in pants and parents putting him in nappies.

good luck x.

Ripeberry
19-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Sounds like they want YOU to train him so they don't get their house dirty :mad:

onceinabluemoon
19-10-2010, 03:32 PM
I've just successfully potty trained a 2.5 year old who still wore/wears nappies everywhere else. It was fine and they know that here they wear pants and at home or at preschool they wear nappies.

Now the child is well trained they've take to pants at home. I got all the mess it's true but I did it for the child not anybody else. When I said to Mum yesterday how proud I am of the child mum said I have every right to be as I potty trained her, so I know it's appreciated.

angeldelight
19-10-2010, 03:59 PM
I had the same problem with the little boy I have

I trained him on my own and it was very very difficult and confused him at home where he was left in a nappy and not encouraged to use potty / toilet at all

You can either continue like I did or you can have a word with the parents and let them know you need their full support

They are being lazy in my view and just expecting you to do it - madness

Good luck

Angel xx