PDA

View Full Version : Baby formula help.

jelly15
18-10-2010, 08:21 AM
I have a new 6 month old mindee starting soon and want to know what you all do re. feeds. I always used to (DSs are teens now) make up feeds, cool and store in fridge, then stand in a jug of boiling water to warm up. When out and about I took a flask of boiling water with me and the cold feed in a special bottle carrier.

I would appriciate hearing what you all do especially when baby needs feed in playgroup.

Tink
18-10-2010, 08:25 AM
The baby I have has milk already made up by hipp organic, it saves so much time

devoncm
18-10-2010, 08:29 AM
Thats what I did when my bigger ones were small, and did start doing it with Grace too until one day the milk went off really quick, so now i take the amount of powder needed and either take the water and keep warm or boil kettle half hr before and pour in bottle so will be right temp then add the powder, i do make her morning one up before i go to bed though and keep in cupboard so im sure if you make it up before you go and use an insulated bottle warmer then it will be fine, my tommee tippee ones keep them warm for about 3 1/2 hrs

BlondeMoment
18-10-2010, 09:10 AM
Now you're not supposed to make up the feed until you're about to use it. You have the water in the baby bottle and you add the powder when you need it. You can measure it out first and empty it into a container if you need to go out and about. You can reheat the water before adding the milk. You can buy bottles that have a compartment for the powder to store it until you need to add it. Once it's made up you have to use it in 2 hours.

They'll change all the rules again before long LOL!

candy cat
18-10-2010, 09:32 AM
i WAS PULLED UP BY OFSTED OVER THIS....PARENTS PREFERED TO SEND IN READYMADE BOTTLES ETC ETC......A NO NO TO MRS O ......sorry caps were on.....although the world health organisation says it is ok for carers to do this and my environmental office backed me up and got an apology!!

My policies now say that parents either make up water and put milk in dispensers or send in tin and i will make up when needed or cartons. cx

Blaze
18-10-2010, 11:33 AM
There is a download re this in the downloads section:thumbsup:

BlondeMoment
18-10-2010, 12:33 PM
i WAS PULLED UP BY OFSTED OVER THIS....PARENTS PREFERED TO SEND IN READYMADE BOTTLES ETC ETC......A NO NO TO MRS O ......sorry caps were on.....although the world health organisation says it is ok for carers to do this and my environmental office backed me up and got an apology!!

My policies now say that parents either make up water and put milk in dispensers or send in tin and i will make up when needed or cartons. cx

Yeah I had parents who prefered to send them in ready made too. I must admit I was happy with that as long as they were. But they left before Ofsted visited. I really don't think there is a wrong or right way. It never hurt before having them pre made up! The organisations on this stuff just need to be seen to be "doing something" so they all keep their funding. So they change all the rules every now and again. Bloomin stupid

appleblossom
18-10-2010, 04:50 PM
The last one of mine who was on formula brought bottles of water. The formula was in a special container, which had compartments for each measured feed. All I had to do was tip the contents of one compartment into the bottle and give it a good shake. Mum had got her used to taking it at room temperature, so no heating required. It was really simple, no trouble at all.

BlondeMoment
18-10-2010, 10:50 PM
The last one of mine who was on formula brought bottles of water. The formula was in a special container, which had compartments for each measured feed. All I had to do was tip the contents of one compartment into the bottle and give it a good shake. Mum had got her used to taking it at room temperature, so no heating required. It was really simple, no trouble at all.

thats what I got now

onceinabluemoon
19-10-2010, 05:31 AM
Current recommendations are:

"The Agency is reminding parents and childcarers who use powdered infant formula to use hot water to make up a feed. Formula powder isn’t sterile, so occasionally it could contain harmful bacteria, which could make babies ill. Using water that is 70°C, or higher, will kill any harmful bacteria in the powder.

In practice, this means boiling at least 1 litre of water in a kettle and leaving it to cool for no more than half an hour.

Recent research funded by the Agency has confirmed the importance of using hot water to make up powdered formula. But some parents aren’t aware of this advice and may use cold water, or boiled water that has been cooled for longer than half an hour.

Ready-to-feed liquid formula, sold in cartons, doesn’t need to be mixed and is sterile. But it is more expensive to buy than formula powder.

If you are making up powdered infant formula, follow the manufacturer’s instructions on how much powder and water to use for each bottle. You should also do the following:

* Clean and sterilise bottles and teats before you use them.
* Use fresh tap water (don’t use water that has been boiled before).
* Fill the kettle with at least 1 litre of water.
* Boil the water.
* Then leave the water to cool for no more than half an hour.
* Always put the water in the bottle first, before the powder.
* Cool down the milk by holding the bottom half of the bottle under cold running water, with the cap covering the teat. (This is to avoid scalding the baby.)
* Test the temperature of the formula milk on the inside of your wrist before giving it to a baby. It should be body temperature, which means it should feel warm.
* If there is any made-up formula milk left after a feed, throw it away. You should also throw away any milk that has been at room temperature for more than two hours."

This is cut and pasted from the FSA website (Feb 2010)

Hope that clears everything up ;) x

Pauline
19-10-2010, 07:17 AM
There is a download re this in the downloads section:thumbsup:
There sure is (kindly sent by yourself :thumbsup:)

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/infantformula.html