PDA

View Full Version : Activity ideas while inspector is present?

pirateship
09-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Hi everyone,
I have my first inspection next week and I'm getting a bit worried! I have a seven and eight year old that will be fine doing crafty things while she's there, but I've also got a one year old that I'll need to keep amused. Does anyone have any suggestions of activities that I could do to fill up the hours while the inspector is watching? There's only so much of building towers and playing peekaboo that we can do!
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

crazybones
09-04-2008, 07:46 PM
We were doing easter crafts so inspector was impressed we were looking forward to up and coming celebrations and festivals. Perhaps some St. Georges Day crafts. There is a thread somewhere with ideas. I will see if I can find it.

crazybones
09-04-2008, 07:47 PM
http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6680&highlight=St.+Georges+Day

Here you go

angeldelight
09-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Whatever you plan remember that you always think it is going to take the kids ages but it never does

Think of a few things and have a number of things in your head ready just incase

You could get a large piece of paper or card and make a " we are different poster "
Collect lots of mags or leaflets etc
Prepare the kids in advance and tell them what you expect them to do - get them to cut lots of pictures of people who are different
Different hair and colour
Glasses
Beards
Different colour
Freckles

Then make a massive collage with them

I did this with my children not for Ofsted but I told Lana about it and her inspector was impressed

You could involve the one year old a little by putting them in the high chair and letting them have a play with sticking and paper etc
Depends what your one year old is like - I have a one year old that would stick but another would not

You could look in the Birth to Three section for activitys

Good luck hope it goes ok

Angel xx

Pudding Girl
09-04-2008, 07:51 PM
How about a Treasure Basket for the LO? Then at least they can be liegitimately lef tto their own devices with it, as that's what you are supposed to do ;)

angeldelight
09-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Some ideas here for the one year old

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=208

Angel xx

Spangles
09-04-2008, 07:55 PM
What about giving the one year old the treasure basket to go through?

Or what about making up some jelly, cooking some pasta shapes and getting some yogurt out and putting them on the high chair table (plastic mat underneath!) so the little one can just squish it and make a mess? S/he could use fingers, plastic spoons, cups, etc and just have a load of messy fun whilst you are watching closely and saying stuff like 'is that squashy? is that cold? that's the spoon, look at your fingers! etc so becoming aware of textures, learning to do messy play, learning words, being praised, bla bla bla!

Just thoughts!

Pipsqueak
09-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Why not include the little one in doing arts and crafts - with him on your knee, allowing him to explore the crafts (ensure the safety of the items etc used), use bigger/chunkier paintbrushes/crayons. Guide his hand.

This shows that you are including all children etc....

Hope it goes well

emler
10-04-2008, 12:45 AM
lots of great suggestions there, I just wanted to say good luck with your inspection

Emler x

angeldelight
10-04-2008, 06:37 AM
Yes these ideas are going to fill your day by the looks of things ha

Hope it goes ok dont forget to let us know

Angel xx

miffy
10-04-2008, 06:40 AM
Reading stories can be all inclusive and inspectors seem to like this

Good luck with your inspection

miffy xx

Tatia
10-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Story sacks, dress up and role play all pertaining to a particular book. Even a cooking activity could fit in with the theme, like "Very Hungy Caterpillar" or "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" (porridge!).

avril
10-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Hi

I did chinese new year which was relevent to the time of my inspection, I had a 1yr 2yr and 4yr old. the older ran away with the craft way ahead of everyone but included her back into it by getting her help the 1yr old passing crayons cutting out his pictures when done and the 2yr old just plodded along with help from us all.
The inspector liked the fact it was a craft that all ages could join in and no one was excluded.

Avril x:)