PDA

View Full Version : mum has hand foot mouth, can i exclude the child??

mrs.h
17-10-2010, 09:25 PM
hi,

just read on fb that one parent has a bad case of hand foot mouth. her child is due to come on tuesday. will i be able to exclude him?? she seems to have given the virus to a few people but i am a bit freaked out by the thought of us all getting it. :eek:

thanks,

mrs.h

Chatterbox Childcare
17-10-2010, 11:06 PM
I can't see how you can and still get paid as the child doesn't have it.

nokidshere
18-10-2010, 05:50 AM
hi,

just read on fb that one parent has a bad case of hand foot mouth. her child is due to come on tuesday. will i be able to exclude him?? she seems to have given the virus to a few people but i am a bit freaked out by the thought of us all getting it. :eek:

thanks,

mrs.h

If its going round then you may have already been in contact with it anyway as it's highly contageous. Unless the person who has it it is poorly then they are not excluded anymore as far as I know.

christine e
18-10-2010, 06:01 AM
This tends to be a childhood thing not many adults catch it anyway, HPA do not advise exclusion

http://www.hpa.org.uk/web/HPAwebFile/HPAweb_C/1194947358374

Cx

miffy
18-10-2010, 06:51 AM
I can't see how you can and still get paid as the child doesn't have it.

Me neither.

Get the antibac ready! :D

Miffy xx

Playmate
18-10-2010, 07:21 AM
the guidelines say not to exclude anyway, so you can't exclude a child that hasn't got it.

Millenium
18-10-2010, 08:32 AM
I have had a mindee who had it and I carried on minding him as it is not on the Health Protection Agency list so if at present it is only the mother who has contracted it then certainly no grounds for exclusion at all.

mrs.h
18-10-2010, 08:38 AM
thank you for your answers.

to be honest, i don't mind not getting paid but the lo doesn't show any signs and i won't ask mum in when dropping off/picking up.

surely i could exclude a child with a highly contagious virus even if hpa doesn't advise exclusion. my business, my choice?

off to get more dettol. :)

mrs.h

Ripeberry
18-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Problem is, due to the nature of our job, we get exposed to LOTS of germs.
My first winter of minding was non-stop, coughs, colds, D&V virus.
So glad when it was spring and it all went away!

Did have a situation one week where I felt very ill (had D&V) and rang the parent to say that I could not mind and then she mentioned "Oh I was going to ring you to say he was not coming".
So if I'd waited to call I still would have got paid :rolleyes:

Just try to keep your hands as clean as possible, but if it's going around it's coming around :(