View Full Version : What do you do when own child ill???

17-10-2010, 07:13 AM
Hi all,

E had his 1st day with me on Monday. Tuesday (not my day with him) mum phoned he was v ill with a virus. He had Weds off, and came back to me on Thursday fine it was obviously a 48 hr thing.

By Thurs pm dd was poorly, but managed to carry on, and Friday I only have 1 mindee all day, and dd was still a bit poorly but just mainly not eating and tired.

Yesterday evening (Sat), ds has come down with something. I'm assuming it's the same virus that's jusy working it's way round.

Tomorrow I have E again for the day. Would you have him and try to work as normal?? I'm sure ds won't be contagious by then, but will probably keep him off school, and E should be immune to it as he's already had it.

We'll have to spent the day indoors so I'm thinking painting (he's only 1!) and maybe collect some leaves for him today to have a play with????


17-10-2010, 07:24 AM
Hi Marnie,

we just had this virus (i still have) and it´s awful!
When ds had it last week he had a very high fever, so didn´t work. Mindees mum was fine with that but then they didn´t have it.
In your situation i would probably work as long as your dd doesnt suffer with it!:)


17-10-2010, 08:18 AM
I would check with mum and see how she feels she prob ok about it but it's nice to check. Hope feeling better

17-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Always better to check with mum to see if she minds, it also means having to stay in all day and missing groups etc.
I asked my husband last week to stay at home with our ds while I took the mindees to a group, as he is employed he is entitled to so many days off to care for children it doesn't just fall to me, and he gets paid for them!!
I would close though if it was a d and v bug.

17-10-2010, 01:06 PM
If it's the same bug and your ds stays away from mindees (in his own room) then I would work. If you think he has something else and want to work then I'd tell parents and give them a choice.

Hope your ds is better soon

Miffy xx

17-10-2010, 02:09 PM
Unless my child is so poorly that my attention needs to be fully on him then I would always call the parents, tell them whats wrong, and leave the decision up to them.

17-10-2010, 04:33 PM
In that situation I would call the parents and leave it up to them. I've had DD1 upstairs in bed watching tv or sleeping whilst working at home. If the child was sick or had a poorly tummy then I would cancel.

17-10-2010, 07:43 PM
Unless it's D&V or they are really ill, I ring parents and give them the option to send or not. If they don't send I don't charge as I gave them the choice. I have had parents send their children to me when mine had chicken pox.