PDA

View Full Version : Can I take on a child pre-reg if I do not charge?

kirstya
16-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Hi! I'm very early on in my pre-reg and am expecting to be registered March / April 2011. I have already had an enquiry for an under 1 to start in March.:clapping: If I am not registered by the time she needs me could I start caring for her and not take payment? I am just thinking that I would not be earning anyway whilst waiting for my reg to come through and it may be worth me doing it free for a few weeks to guarantee I will have some income as soon as my reg certificate comes through. Is this allowed? I'd love your views on this! Kirsty x :)

keeks
17-10-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm sure I've heard of other people doing this, but I'm not sure. One thing I am sure of though is that very soon someone who knows will be along to give a better answer.

Good luck!
xx

candy cat
17-10-2010, 03:19 PM
I was told by Ofsted if I did you were breaking the law!! but i know people that have so I would check.

linda2girls
17-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Would you be insured if you weren't registered?

kirstya
17-10-2010, 04:45 PM
Would you be insured if you weren't registered?

I would take insurance out - but not sure if it would be valid if i'm not registered?? and would anyone insure me before I am registered??:confused: As far as I have heard you are not allowed to look after children for any sort of reward - so does it mean that it is okay if not receiving reward?? I am confused!!

sarah707
17-10-2010, 05:18 PM
You cannot buy childminding insurance unless you have a registered number.

You cannot work as a childminder unless you are registered - if someone sees you and reports you to Ofsted you will be in big trouble even if you say you are not accepting money - how do you prove that?

I would suggest the best way might be to work from the children's home as a self employed mother's help until your registration comes through.

However you would need to check your tax status for this and make sure the parents understand you are not insured!

There might be other concerns I am sorry I am not an expert.

Hth :D

jellybean cc
17-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Could you not have a word with the parent nearer the time and see if she would be interested in having you as her nanny for a week or two in the child's home rather than at your home. As far as i know there are no Ofsted rules for nanny's and you could charge as well.

kirstya
17-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Thank you all for the input!! The nanny idea may be a possibility, although I do have my 2 children to see to but DH self employed and could probably be around if it is just for a short time. Am hopefully meeting up with the parent soon so will have to talk it through with her. The annoying thing is that the chances are I will be reg in time, but do not want to promise her then have to let her down. x