PDA

View Full Version : Colour recognition activities

maisiemog
16-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Any suggestions?

Think my mindee is getting a bit bored of me repeating colours to her all the time. Any ideas for games we can play to help it? Or activities that will help her recognise colours?

babs
16-10-2010, 12:36 PM
i made flash cards with colours, shapes and numbers on and bingo cards that i laminated so we play bingo have to match the flash card to picture on bingo card and say what it is if they get it wrong goes back to bottom of pile i do help them and say what before it goes to bottom... lo's love it

Penny1959
16-10-2010, 12:50 PM
You are right children do get fed up of us adults keep either telling them colours or saying to them 'what colour is it?'

So your idea of some games / activities is a great idea.

You can make a simple matching game just with card (paper if not got card) and crayons - you could do colours and shapes - just draw round some shapes and colour them in (mindee can help - so that will first bit of game - can he / she find the right crayon) make two of each and then as a first stage put the cards face up on floor or table and ask child to match them. Second stage put face down on floor or table and turn cards over (taking turns) say things like 'right that is one red one - where is the other' and Oh no that is blue I wanted red'. If possible laminate so game will last. If you have a few basic computer skills you can use that to make games.

Also loads of great websites with free basic games that you can print - just try a search for colour matching games or activities for children.

Another idea is to find things of same colour - in house, cars on way to shop or school, doors when walking to park and so on. You could count how many you find. You could also take photo's of things like cars, doors, toys to make another simple game.

Painting - great fun - just let mindee experiment with the paints

Cooking - icing the cakes - ask mindee what colour icing you should make

Have a colour day - try to wear colour of day, eat food of that colour, collect toys of that colour.

There are loads more but I am sure you can think of them yourself - and most likely are now saying of course I knew about those ideas - just had forgotten about them.

:clapping:

love381
16-10-2010, 01:44 PM
A very good family friend found a FANTASTIC "game" for her 2nd child when he was VERY bored of learning colours (and learning in general really). It was go and get mummy the ... packet of crisps! Funny, he took a while to grasp the colour yellow, but that's because Walkers multi packs don't do yellow!!!! It was a GREAT game, not sure we'd get away with doing it!!

We have done colour days - great fun. My older ones help to plan for these. Also done a HUGE rainbow last year (took up one whole wall in the living room, floor to ceiling) with hand prints - red hands made out of painted prints, drawn and coloured, drawn on red card, drawn on red foam, drawn on red felt and then orange ones etc. Normally our toys are seperated in boxes by type of toy, i.e. cars in the cars box, bricks in the bricks box, but we did seperate into colour boxes two years ago, so much fun and the children really loved it - took HOURS to change back!! x

ORKSIE
16-10-2010, 02:42 PM
I use everyday colours eg

traffic lights
Cars
Trees
flowers
Front doors
Plates
cups
bricks
You name it we use it :D

makes colours a lil bit more interesting :)

Carol M
16-10-2010, 05:02 PM
I have a "Colour Box"
Each week we choose a colour and put a laminated sign in said colour on the box.
The children find things of that colour and put them in the box .At the end of the day we talk about what they have found.
Obviously this activity is ongoing and can be extended to suit the children, bring things from home,counting objects, subtracting as taken out of box, cover with cloth take something out and guess whats gone, making lists of items, endless opportunities really.
I also have a "Letter Box"
same concept as colour box.
Carol xx

The Juggler
17-10-2010, 09:54 AM
autum is great. collecting leaves and saying let's find a xxxx one. ok colours a bit limited to green, red brown and orange:laughing: :laughing: with my little ones if we're walking I'll say let's stop at the next red car, the next blue one etc. that's great fun whilst walking.

Cazz
17-10-2010, 01:54 PM
I have a "Colour Box"
Each week we choose a colour and put a laminated sign in said colour on the box.
The children find things of that colour and put them in the box .At the end of the day we talk about what they have found.
Obviously this activity is ongoing and can be extended to suit the children, bring things from home,counting objects, subtracting as taken out of box, cover with cloth take something out and guess whats gone, making lists of items, endless opportunities really.
I also have a "Letter Box"
same concept as colour box.
Carol xx

That's a really good idea - my own dd would really enjoy this as she gets a bit confused with her colours and as others have said I think she gets fed up with me saying "What colour is this?"

I like the idea of the letter box as well - my new 4 year old mindee is learning to sound his letters and write them so this would be a really good ongoing activity that I could tie in with school - working in partnership sorted :thumbsup: