PDA

View Full Version : Assistants and NVQ's

Noomie
16-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Just after a bit of info really.

I was thinking of employing an assistant. It would really help with overlaps in children coming and going plus could help with school runs and I could take on a few extra children. I've looked into what Ofsted say and think I could manage it.

But I would want them to get something out of it. I'd be happy to support them getting their NVQ.

I couldn't pay for the course but how expensive are they so that I can advise any potential assistant? What government help is out there for them?

For those of you doing the course, do you have to attend a college or such, or can you do the course work from the work place and at home? This is key as it would be very difficult if the assistant had to be somewhere else when a child needed looking after.

Thanks for your advice in advance. x

Chatterbox Childcare
16-10-2010, 02:09 PM
The NVQ is no more and all the qualification have been changed to one qualification

Contact you local EY department and they should be able to give you the cost and timetable of any courses

I looked into an assistant and decided that to employ one at £6 an hour and then pay out for training etc wasn't work my while when I could already get someone qualified for the same money and they could actually do the obs too.

When I spoke to my DW she said to me what about taking on a college person? Have them full time apart from 1 day a week? There may be funding for this.

bexcee
16-10-2010, 02:15 PM
I have just started my NVQ3 in Children's Care, Learning and Development. I don't have to attend college and all my assessments are done at home where my assessor/tutor comes and observes me doing pre-planned activities with the children.
I got all full grant for mine (approx £2000).