PDA

View Full Version : Pre-reg in Scotland!

smithya85
09-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Hello!

Im at the pre-stage of childminding and finding the posts in this forum really helpful! I was wondering if there are any childminders from Scotland as the process seems to be slightly different here than in England. Any advice would be really helpful thanks!

Amy :)

Fairydust
09-04-2008, 06:49 PM
I have been childminding in up in Scotland for 8 years now. I would be pleased to help with any questions you may have.

Alibali
09-04-2008, 06:50 PM
I'm in Glasgow and have been minding 2 years, so pre-reg wasn't that long ago. Happy to help with any questions. Good luck and welcome.

Ali :)

emler
10-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Hi & welcome to the forum - just fire away with any questions. Everyone on here is very helpful.

Emler x

miffy
10-04-2008, 06:34 AM
Sorry not from Scotland but just wanted to say welcome and good luck with your registration

miffy xx

smithya85
10-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks Miffy!! lol! and everyone else too!!

Ive so many questions!! I'll start with a couple!

1) How long did it take you to become registered?

2) Did you find it easy to get children? (thats sounds like Im the child snatcher in chitty bang bang!!) I mean to look after!

3) How did you find it affected your family life? Your partners as well as children if you have?

Thanks,

Amy :)

Minnie Minx
10-04-2008, 01:02 PM
hi welcome to the forum, do you want to pop over to the hello board to make a hello post so we can all welcome you officially so to speak :D :D

xx

smithya85
10-04-2008, 01:12 PM
I posted a hello a couple of days ago with a few details about myself. Has it not come up?

:(

Minnie Minx
10-04-2008, 01:13 PM
oh have i missed it, i'm sorry if i didn't say hello :(

Found it, hello again :D :D :D

xxx

Mollymop
10-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Hi ya,
Good luck going through the process, it may seem like a long process a some points, but it will be worth it in the end.

Minnie Minx
10-04-2008, 01:15 PM
Don't ask lou m how long it took lol, it took over a year for her but she's got two little mindees now :clapping: :clapping:

xx

fionamal
10-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Hi and welcome!

It took me about 3 months from start to finish with all the visits, courses etc.
The once I was registered took about another month before I got any mindees.

Like everything else it has its good and bad days. It is a bit quiet here at the moment but is starting to pick up again so my advise is to advertise everywhere and get in touch with your local Childcare Link.

I have 2 kids of my own and they like the company of others but it does take over your home.

If you need any help at all dont be afraid to ask.

Good Luck!

Fairydust
10-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Hi,

I placed vacancy cards in newsagents windows in my area and surrounding villages and the phone started to ring almost immediately. I also made sure I told the local playgroup leader which my own wee girl attended so she could be sure to pass on my name. I also joined the local childminding group and they were fab - passing on my details etc.

I must admit that now my own children (nearly teenagers) are passed the toy stage it can be intrusive on their lives - toys everywhere! Thankfully they have their own rooms (upstairs) which is their private haven if they want to escape the mindees. My hubby is very supportive and realises that without my job we wouldnt be able to afford the luxuries in life! Hope this has helped you!

Pudding Girl
10-04-2008, 01:35 PM
Hi ( again! ;) ) Amy

where are you in the process right now?

in answer to your questions - it took me 12 months near on to be registered :angry: complicated by the lack of communication from Care Commission to me when there as a problem getting a reference from an ex employer ( who had retired it appears) so I was left in the dark for 3 months, not knowing this when a simple call to me would have got me searching out another referee!

Then I went and moved house, so had to start a lot of paperwork all over again, risk assessing the setting etc and be re-inspected by Fireman ( phwaor didn't mind that bit!!)

Be aware, you WILL HAVE TO install two ( at least) mains, connected smoke alarms, fitted by an electrical contractor, and this can cost upwards of £150 - although do what we did, buy the alarm units off ebay and then only pay fitting, a lot cheaper that way!

I was regged in Dec 2007 and got my first mindees started 6 weeks ago - so not long really, but it is long when you are there waiting without money!!

Not been a problem on family life, if anything it's enriched it :) as I said in email, anything you need to know, just ask :)

smithya85
10-04-2008, 02:23 PM
Thanks everyone!

This forum is great!! Im addicted already!!

Everyone is very helpful :)

Alibali
10-04-2008, 02:32 PM
Whole process took about 4 months for me, but I had all my spaces filled before reg came through, so they rushed through the process at the request of parents. Nearly all my enquiries are through other minders so if ther is a local group get along to it and get yourself known. Also the Child care link website is a great place to advertise, the Care Commission can organise this for you but won't get done until you are registered.

My own 3 are 15, 9 and 6 years and the only downside is at homework time, I do feel they are a bit neglected then cos babies want feeding and changing etc and then parents come to collect, but otherwise they love having the others around and the toy situation thy love as they now get to play with 'baby' toys again without embarrassment!!!

Ali :)

samgeordie
10-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Hi there

Im at the very end of the registration process now - just waiting on my certificate which should arrive anyday:clapping: .

I submitted my application form on the 1st Feb and within about 10 days had a reply from the care commission and things had started to get organised. Its all happened very quickly for me, and March was a very hectic month as I had my care commission inspection visit, fire brigade visit, completed SCMA pre-registration training, first aid course and child protection course (latter 2 i did off my own back and aren't a requirment before being registered).

Once I have my certificate I will be able to start advertising, already agreed to take the boy next door after school and i currently use a childminder while i work and she is keeping her ears open for anyone needing a minder from Aug (thats when i could start after a 3 week hol to oz and 4 weeks notice i have to give to my work).

Good luck and if you have anymore questions please just ask. Im in west lothian and they currently are able to offer new childminders up to £250 to start up, but you must contact business gateway before you are registered/care commission inspection.