View Full Version : Difficult situation pre registration

15-10-2010, 06:55 PM
I am not registered yet - I have had my Ofsted visit, done the ICP, First Aid, Safeguarding, medical declaration etc. Just waiting on CRB which has been at stage 4 for 50+ days so expect that to be completed at 60 days, then it's just my husbands CRB to go through. Really hope I'll be registered by mid-Nov when I'm due to start!

I have been advertising as 'soon to be registered' and luckily had a lot of interest.

One mother (A) asked me to take on her 15 month old 3 days a week and I had agreed, but when the start date (end of Sept) passed and I still wasn't registered I suggested she look elsewhere as I couldn't tell them how much longer it would be, I felt like I really let them down.

I then spoke to the Mother (B) from my waiting list and met her, she wants care for her now 5.5 month old from January also for three days a week. She is very keen and wants me to meet her husband next week with a view to making an agreement.

Original Mother (A) called today to say she's having no luck finding alternative childcare and they are prepared to wait for me to get registered but they will keep trying to find someone available sooner.
I said that I had another family (B) to meet and if they wanted me from January I would take them on because I can't hold a place for family A knowing they are still looking. I can't take any deposits or sign contracts as I'm not registered yet so have no way of protecting myself, but I feel like I'm being really selfish and I'm not sure I did the right thing. I want to start as I mean to go on and this is a business I need to be earning.

Hope this makes sense - sorry to ramble,

15-10-2010, 07:40 PM
:) Awkward one!! At least you are getting plenty of interest! Could be worse! Would you not be able to take on both children?

15-10-2010, 07:45 PM
At the end of the day, like you say, you have to go with earning money.

I hope all your paperwork is through for you to start in January.

Are the days not flexible enough to offer both families places? Family A obviously likes you.

Good luck! :D

15-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Sadly I can't take them both on as I have another under one due to start in mid November also for three days a week. I just hope my registration comes through by then - or I may have this all over again :(

Rain or Shine
15-10-2010, 08:47 PM
I am also at pre reg.

I have sent in all my forms and await an appointment from my inspector. Am worried that i wont be ready in time as have had to go back to work as can't afford to sit around waiting for things to happen. I've got my medical assessment next week and i hope that gets things moving once its done.

Your lucky that you have so much interest, i can't advertise as i have no idea when i'll be able to mind and don't wanna let people down or mislead them. I'm hoping the latest i can start minding is January.

Good luck x

15-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Sadly I can't take them both on as I have another under one due to start in mid November also for three days a week. I just hope my registration comes through by then - or I may have this all over again :(

Fingers crossed it's all through by then.

Good luck with parent B - at least you know there is work waiting for you!

Miffy xx

22-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Hi, I have now met Mother B's husband and they do want their child to come to me from Dec/Jan, so that's nice. I decided I should agree to this since I should be registered by then and the family seem really nice.
I have tried to let Mother A know that I can't hold the place for her child but now she's now not responding to my messages - she has always seemed quite passive/agressive/manipulative - when she doesn't like what you're saying about fees etc she hangs her head and goes silent and sulky until you say something she likes again. I had bad vibes from the start, I should have listened to my gut feeling :(
Anyway I just really want to make sure she understands that I am not holding a place for her child. I also have the names and numbers of some alternative minders who could help her. I sent texts and left answer phone messages explaining - I don't feel I can relax until I know she's understood the situation and is not expecting me to take her child.
Tummy in knots :(