PDA

View Full Version : Do you all belong to a childminding network .. or not?

SaijaM
15-10-2010, 12:09 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if you belong to a childminding network or not...? Has it been good / bad / ugly?

I'm in a process of joining one in my area, but been chasing the network coordinator for my meeting for ages ... so my starting point is already frustrating and don't feel that the support is there since the start!

How can they be supportive if they can't be bothered to even have your initial assessment meeting arranged...

Does it matter much to Ofsted if you are in one? Hmmm.. I'm not sure.
Need your advice! :)

happydays1
15-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Hi i have not long joined a network, i have been minding for 2 1/2 years and didnt join before because i heard some stories about it being clicky etc and im not that sort of person.After chatting with the co-ordinator decided to join and see and im glad i did, the support we get is outstanding and defiantly dont have to chase them.:)

green puppy
15-10-2010, 12:15 PM
I joined mine not long ago, really for the extra training seesions you have access to and for the free resources they were offering at the time! Recently had ecat training that I couldn't have done if I hadn't joined.

venus89
15-10-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm really glad I did. As the others say the extra support and training are brilliant, plus they've now assigned me as an EYFS mentor and are supporting me through EYPS.

There is more work to do as we have to attend x amount of CPD per year but I like that - the training sessions give me more ideas to use in my work. And the coordinator coming round also means more work (she usually leaves me some homework!) but again that benefits my work, which benefits my LOs.

I think probably it would be a plus from Ofsted's point of view, not least because of the regular training.

hayleychildcare
15-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Im NOT a member.

Ive had a few meeting from the coordinator trying to get to me join. but i dont have time for extra paperwork, extra meeting and extra courses.

SamBaker
15-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Hi SaijaM,

I am in the same boat as you, have tried to find out about it but no one is in any hurry to get back to me, even when I really needed some help, I cant even get a support childminder. I havnt even spoke to to my coordinator as she was away and was going to get back to me. I have given up now, if I need any help I just come on here. Would be nice to be part of a group though for the extra support.

Hope you get yours sorted out.

georgie456
15-10-2010, 01:08 PM
I joined my local network - the extra training is great and I have a very supportive CDW - a plus for us here, is we get an annual payment for being on the network!

However, my Ofsted inspector couldn't give 2 hoots about me being on it. I had to ask her 3 times to add in on my report as I have worked hard to reach stage 2 and wanted it on my report!

Millenium
15-10-2010, 02:16 PM
I am not a member and odd though it may sound, I do not know how I would find out about joining one.

I have existed without for the past 15 years so am not likely to make any changes now. I have spoken to others who are in networks in other towns and the impression I unfortunately got was that it was great if your face fitted but otherwise forget it as they were full of cliques. I am sure there are some very successful ones but I cannot understand what benefit they really bring.

My Ofsted inspector was not particularly complementary about them saying that she had sadly come across more bad ones than good............

Chatterbox Childcare
15-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Ofsted won't be bothered

I have been on a network for 12 years or so but they changed it in our region recently and now you get paid to be on one. Of course you have to do something for it but very little and they gave grants for outside equipment of £300 to each network minder last December too.

The support and guidance I get is second to none and the training is always up to date and what is needed

georgie456
15-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Ofsted won't be bothered

I have been on a network for 12 years or so but they changed it in our region recently and now you get paid to be on one. Of course you have to do something for it but very little and they gave grants for outside equipment of £300 to each network minder last December too.

The support and guidance I get is second to none and the training is always up to date and what is needed

Being in the same town as you, I agree Debbie!!!! The outside grant was fab and the annual payment is a big incentive.

manjay
15-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Joining our network was one of the best things I have ever done. Ours is a Children Come First Community and Early Years Network although I know not all networks are the same. The training and support is second to none and being a member also means I am accredited to deliver Early Years education to 3 years olds and Flying Start funded placements for 2 year olds and their siblings. I don't have much extra paperwork apart from the initial assessment.

My CSSIW inspector was very interested that I was a member and indeed on my inspection report 3 years ago she put joining as a good practice recommendation.

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
15-10-2010, 04:41 PM
im in one, not thats its worth it, anyone can join even if you inadequate and u dont get any thing that a non-member doesnt you just get treated to a very boring and in-iformative meeting once every 3 months

WibbleWobble
15-10-2010, 04:51 PM
we have a network co ordinator.....she has been to see me (summer hols)...at my request as i hadnt seen anyone since i registered (january). She didnt mention having to do anything to become a member. No funny handshake, rolled up trouser leg, nowt!

so i dont know if i am a member

not seen her since.......

she did email last month for copies of my paperwork as she really liked it and wanted to share it with other cms

mandy xxx

Mookins
15-10-2010, 05:16 PM
im not, but then only recently registered, havent read much about it where i am and not been asked either, not really been bothered about it until reading this
sounds good

xx

SaijaM
15-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks everyone, sounds really good then! I shall follow / chase up and join as I would really want to access all the training available :)

Helcatt
15-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Think it depends on the network

I have just joined, it did take a while to get the woman to come back to me but she was really suppportive before my inspection, even though I wasn't on the network at that point!

So far, I've not been able to make any meetings though the last one apparently got quite heated

She is taking on board the fact that lots of us have requested certain types of training and is trying to sort it out for us

I've not come accross it but others have found it really cliquey and there are at least 2 sets who "hang out" Usually the "old school" types who are dead against change of any sort

HX

Penny1959
16-10-2010, 03:44 AM
As an ex childminding network coordinator - I agree it depends on the network you are in and your local authortities support.

I used to run an NCMA Children Come First one and I was managed by NCMA - which was great - assessment to join the network was in depth and the support that I used to be able to offer was fantastic - with the network childminders giving lots of positive feedback - but then the local authority took the network 'in house' and due to finacial restraints, support and services have been gradually removed.

The idea of giving grants to or paying network childminders is new to me - how does that work and how do you ensure people are not just joining for the money - ie is there a assessment process?

Now that I have re registered as a childminder - I am not sure if the network now provided by my local authority is worth joining - the only benefit appears to be - the opportunity to offer NEF places.

Hebs
16-10-2010, 08:34 AM
i wouldn't even know where to find out about ours,

i've had no help/support/guidance from our local early years team since my pre reg :rolleyes:

georgie456
16-10-2010, 02:50 PM
The idea of giving grants to or paying network childminders is new to me - how does that work and how do you ensure people are not just joining for the money - ie is there a assessment process?

We do have an assessment process - a workbook to complete for each stage. These are very self reflective and helped me enormously when doing the sef!
You have to get at least a 'Good' with Ofsted to go beyond stage one, have or be working towards a level 3 qualification, as well as offer certain services, for example, working before 7.30am, working between xmas and new year etc.
There are lots of these extra services listed and you have to meet at least 3 (If I remember correctly!)

You also have an annual planned visit from the CDW (and a potential spot check visit) to check you are working to their standards - I've just had my visit. These visits usually co-incide with the payment renewal!

Mookins
16-10-2010, 04:11 PM
ive just been reading up on this network and we have to have a relevent level 3 qualification and a grade of good or oustanding:(

im not yet been graded and onlu have the ICP:(

xxx

Winnie
16-10-2010, 04:35 PM
I was on a network for some time-4 yrs i think, I enjoyed it :) but thought it was full of empty promises: “the network will be accredited soon”- no it wasn’t, “extra training for network cm’s”- no anyone could do it :(

I’m still not sure if I want to join again, I have issues around the way networks change their spots- you never know what the hell is going. One minute you can only be on it if you have level 3 the next they appear to want everyone, staff seem to be either really confused where they are heading or bullish. Confidentiality is a bit of an issue for me too. I’d like to be part of a group of like-minded childminders but do not have any enthusiasm to chase my tail fulfilling a network agenda if it only benefits the system. I’m a very experienced childminder, os, have connections in place such as this forum and others. I admit I could do with (more) support and encouragement (than i'm getting now)- who couldn’t- but I’m not sure what would be in it for me, it doesn’t find you work and I’ve been told the training budget has been cut. Added to that the silly paperwork to join (don’t I have enough of that anyway) and personality clashes within the networks....

But if they knocked on my door tomorrow and asked to see how I do things, looked at my paperwork, and asked how they could help me- I’d probably join just like that ;)

green puppy
16-10-2010, 05:21 PM
I did the second part of my ecat course today and got given 2 really useful books and 2 books - noisy farm and dear zoo - with all of the finger puppets for each!:clapping: If I hadn't have joined our network I wouldn't have had access to this training which was really good.

flowerpots
16-10-2010, 05:33 PM
im part of an ncma children come first network, it took me 4 months to join as i had quite a legnthy, in depth questionnaire to fill in, network co-ordinator did quite a few visits and went throgh all my paperwork but it is absolutely worth it, the training we recieve is second to none and the other childminders on the network are the lovliest people i could have hoped to meet.

i hope you get it sorted saija. xxxx

juejue
16-10-2010, 09:26 PM
I have been in one for 18 mths now, but there is only 3 of us in our area. so its only small. Very small :laughing:

Dont have any meeting to go to. not worth it with just us 3. we go the drop in every week so get to know everything there. which is nice. we do get alot from it.

But we were told we HAD to join it. If not we would have to pay for our courses ourselves.

Gherkin
16-10-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm on a network and am accredited to provide the NE funding. We can only access the NE funding if we are members of the network. We have monthly net work meetings and accredited meetings regularly which add to any other training that we have. We also get access to drop ins at the local children's centres. It is worth it if the network is run well which ours is.

Lady Haha
16-10-2010, 10:52 PM
I'm similar to Hebs, after my pre reg visit, I heard nothing back from the Early Years Team. I was just left to get on with it! It was only when I joined this forum that I realised that childminders had development workers etc!!! I had to ring the local CIS to find out who mine was! She did come and visit, but it all the work came from my end! I don't even know what a childminding network is, let alone know if there is one where I am!

Penny1959
17-10-2010, 03:21 AM
Thanks for information Georgina - sounds like you get fantastic support and and help to be self reflective.

If I lived in your area I would be joining your network!

There is hope in my area - not of payment - but of improvements - but at the moment nothing decided and just a lot of talk. Have my fingers crossed.

At the moment the network childminders in my area do have to have a level 3 and a good or outstandstanding Ofsted grade - and next year all accerdited childminders will also be assessed via FCCERS. And have to agree to a certain amount of professional development. But no assessment process either via visits from CDO or through a self assessment process.

I have been told that support from CDO has been very limited in last few months and the network childminders are missing the support and input from CDO.

Penny x

SamBaker
20-10-2010, 05:13 AM
I'm similar to Hebs, after my pre reg visit, I heard nothing back from the Early Years Team. I was just left to get on with it! It was only when I joined this forum that I realised that childminders had development workers etc!!! I had to ring the local CIS to find out who mine was! She did come and visit, but it all the work came from my end! I don't even know what a childminding network is, let alone know if there is one where I am!

This is exactly how you feel Janis, I'm exactly the same. I found out the other day that I still wasn't on the CIF database due to a problem they were having, I thought I was on there, and I know I have lost work over it as a parent has told me.

Playmate
20-10-2010, 08:19 AM
no childminding networks in our county (to expensive to run :( ) I would say if you live in an area that has this support then access it whilst you still can, I dread to think what is going to happen over the next 5 - 10 years with all the cuts. I suspect we will all be back to where we were 18 years ago when I first started, minding your own business - literally :(