PDA

View Full Version : Unhealthy lunchboxes!!

MAWI
15-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Hi All
Recently I have had some rather unhealthy lunchboxes turn up.
I have politely spoke to parents about it but to no avail. We have a topic about healthy bodies this month, so its a bit ironic.
Do you think its a bit over the top if I send out a letter to all parents??? I have previously mentioned it in my newsletter. I am all for promoting healthy eating but also its a fine line between telling parents what their child can /cannot eat or put in their lunch boxes. I had thought if I could find some information with suggestion of healthy lunches would be good???
Any suggestions or ideas please? Im sure all of use have encountered this problem.:)

Lol
15-10-2010, 11:41 AM
I don't think a letter to all parents is over the top - it means you are not singling any family out as you are sending it to all of them. If you have a Healthy Eating Policy that you can refer to - even better.

Schools send letters out on this subject so I can't see any reason why childminders can't :)

The Juggler
15-10-2010, 12:53 PM
someone put a link on a few weeks back to a fact sheet which I've given to all my parents.

Go to the littlepeoplesplates website 'ten steps to healthy eating for toddlers'. I would write a policy about what you accept/don't accept to meet EYFS/ECM regulations and hand it out with this fact sheet and maybe some lunchbox suggestions.

Schools tell us what we can and can't have and I don't feel I'm meeting EYFS requirements if I allow small children to eat too much sugar, fat, salt even if it's not provided by me. :)

pinklady
15-10-2010, 03:24 PM
There's some really useful stuff on this website:
http://www.foodafactoflife.org.uk/

I printed off a useful poster a while back as a very heavy hint that the lunch boxes weren't acceptable :rolleyes: called ''ideas for healthier packed lunches'' but I can't see it on there anymore :( Lots of other good resources on there though.