PDA

View Full Version : Need some ideas please

venus89
15-10-2010, 08:11 AM
For my EYPS I need to demonstrate sustained shared thinking and also 'Give constructive and sensitive feedback to help children understand what they have achieved and think about what they need to do next and, when appropriate, encourage children to think about, evaluate and improve on their own performance'. So I plan to do an activity, take lots of photos, record the conversation and provide a transcript of it for my assessor. I need it to be an activity which can be adapted so I can then do an extension of it at Childminding Group. And if it can be something which they can take home and develop at home that would be great.

My best idea so far is growing something but I can't figure out how that provides many opportunities for adaptation, especially adaptations suggested by the children. So maybe that's not such a good idea after all!

Does anybody have any bright ideas? I would love you forever if you did :laughing:

venus89
15-10-2010, 08:19 AM
Or my other thought was maybe some kind of role play, but that was just a whisper in my head while I was trying to get to sleep last night so hasn't got any further, and I'm not sure how it could be extended to share with parents..... It's just that the Children's Centre are doing a multicultural food thing all through half term and tying it in with that somehow might be good

mama2three
15-10-2010, 08:24 AM
could the adaptations be things like more or less watering , where to grow them - inside / outside..too cold / not enough sun etc....
Sounds quite a long project , but then i suppose thats where the 'sustained' part comes in!

Or how about a cooking activity to link in with the multicultural food...maybe they could make something simple and set up a cafe etc.... menus... just thinking aloud!

gegele
15-10-2010, 08:27 AM
if you grow with your planting idea then you can extend it with healthy living and cooking...

or you plant beans and you do extend on the beans theme:

-name and mime all the beans you know (runner bean, baked bean....do not forget the french bean :D )

-jack and the bean stalk (talk about stealing, walk like a giant.....)

-make a mesuaring chart to measure plant as it grows

-found recipe with different beans

-do blind tasting

-messy play with baked bean

i don't even know if it's what yyou asked , i'm full of cold.
hope i helpede
:thumbsup:

gegele
15-10-2010, 08:30 AM
you can link beans and multicultural :

french bean
black eye peas
baked beans
kidney bean in chilli con carne....

:D :D

:thumbsup:

venus89
15-10-2010, 08:43 AM
you can link beans and multicultural :

Rofl - I misread that as you can lick the beans :laughing:

venus89
15-10-2010, 08:44 AM
ll good ideas, thankyou, and I might even be able to combine the two (role play and growing.....). Keep them coming, please - the more the better :thumbsup:

RainbowMum
15-10-2010, 09:51 AM
If you do a role play cafe you could ask for recipies or menu ideas from home? ask the children to bring photos of themselves visiting a cafe with family?

venus89
15-10-2010, 10:01 AM
If you do a role play cafe you could ask for recipies or menu ideas from home? ask the children to bring photos of themselves visiting a cafe with family?

ooohhhh... good thinking. :clapping:

The Juggler
15-10-2010, 12:55 PM
I agree, you can link the vegetables with many stories, the giant turnip - little red hen which all have little morals in them which is nice.

also you could move onto cooking the veg with the older children.

venus89
15-10-2010, 03:16 PM
:D I think this may end up being a theme for the term! I can link going shopping to it too, and that brings in PSRN, CLL and so much more :jump for joy:

The Juggler
15-10-2010, 09:40 PM
:D I think this may end up being a theme for the term! I can link going shopping to it too, and that brings in PSRN, CLL and so much more :jump for joy:

not to mention your role play area for CD - shop in your smallworld and homecorner:)

venus89
16-10-2010, 04:54 PM
not to mention your role play area for CD - shop in your smallworld and homecorner:)

Of course. Plus restaurant.....

Penny1959
17-10-2010, 04:15 AM
How about starting the whole thing by taking the children to various 'eating places'. You can pick up menus at some, actually have snack time or lunch at some and at others just look through the window / at the signs/ decor etc.

Take lots of photo's to prompt discussion and recall.

Then follow the ideas and interests of the children linking to all the other excellent ideas given here (so if children thought cafe in high street best, role play that, cook cakes,adapt your lunch menu so has some of things available in cafe etc, if the chinese interested them most start with that one)

As you said this could go on and on and if children's interest go in a different direction - ie might read a story about Paddington Bear going to a cafe and they show interest in bears - then follow that for a while BUT bring that back to your overall theme by disscussing the photos you took of the outing to 'eating places'. I am sure will cover everything and meet the criteria of your course.

Good luck :clapping:

venus89
18-10-2010, 12:31 PM
How about starting the whole thing by taking the children to various 'eating places'. You can pick up menus at some, actually have snack time or lunch at some and at others just look through the window / at the signs/ decor etc.

Take lots of photo's to prompt discussion and recall.

Then follow the ideas and interests of the children linking to all the other excellent ideas given here (so if children thought cafe in high street best, role play that, cook cakes,adapt your lunch menu so has some of things available in cafe etc, if the chinese interested them most start with that one)

As you said this could go on and on and if children's interest go in a different direction - ie might read a story about Paddington Bear going to a cafe and they show interest in bears - then follow that for a while BUT bring that back to your overall theme by disscussing the photos you took of the outing to 'eating places'. I am sure will cover everything and meet the criteria of your course.

Good luck :clapping:

Thank you penny, some great ideas there. I'd never even thought of using real menus from real restaurants, what a fab ideA :clapping: It would be really interesting to find out which place they did like the look of best and why, I wonder if it would be an unexpected result? Though all the McDs around here have been revamped and I imagine they'd appeal a LOT :laughing: Good thinking - thank you