PDA

View Full Version : Half fee for holidays/term times - emergency advice needed!

pirateship
15-10-2010, 07:44 AM
A parent has just told me that she doesn't need me over the school hols and I explained to her that half the fee will be due as stated in the contracts for when a parent takes a holiday.

At the time of signing the contracts she didn't tell me that she wouldn't need school hols (her daughter hadn't got a place at uni then, but has now and will be looking after LO) and I had him as over the summer hols as normal.

She seemed shocked and said "oh I didn't realise I'd still have to pay." I explained to her that as I was still available to work as normal and that school holidays don't make any difference to me so the half fee will be due as standard for holidays. I charge half fee for my hols too.

Has anyone got a written statement that says why they do this as I don't think she was very happy with me? Maybe I could also say about it counting as a retainer to keep his place open - but I'm not sure how to word it.

Help please! I think she may be one of those parents that would go elsewhere for cheaper and I love the LO and so really don't want that to happen!

Chatterbox Childcare
15-10-2010, 08:28 AM
Why have a policy/statement when it is on the contract. The policy means nothing legally?

pirateship
15-10-2010, 08:38 AM
I just need something for me to read so that I can vocalise it better to her so that it's clear. I don't need it as an actual policy just something clear and concise for me to say.

Lady Haha
15-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Could you maybe do a term time only contract with her? I have a mindee who is term time only and another two who are school hols only, so it balances out!

MAWI
15-10-2010, 09:13 AM
I would just explain it to her. Its your business and you have to decide if you can afford to lose the business if she were to go elsewhere or if you are happy to compromise on the retainer.
Persoanlly, I charge half fee for all that dont use me in the school holidays. Its up to parents then if they want the place or not. But as Debbie says its all in the contract and it is fairly normal practice to charge half fee in my area ( unless you have a term time only contract)
:)

The Juggler
15-10-2010, 12:58 PM
if you would consider moving to term-time contracts I'd tell her you're happy to do that but as you did not know that this time they weren't coming you'd expect full fees as per the contract.

However, tell her if she wants t-time only you'll be looking to find holiday only children to fill the space and therefore this means that you might not have a space when she needs it. Or tell her she can pay half fees to hold the place and just pay the full fee if they attend.

loocyloo
15-10-2010, 02:24 PM
offer her a termtime only space, but at a higher rate!

thats what i do! my termtime only children pay a fee which is 39 weeks full rate fees, plus 13 weeks 1/2rate fees, added together, then divided by 39 again!

they think they are getting a deal, you're getting 1/2fees for holiday!

xxx

suzyblue
15-10-2010, 03:04 PM
I only offer term time only spaces to school children. If this is an under 4 year old I would charge a retainer for the holidays as you are unable to fill that space. You could offer to try and fill it but in the mean time she will need to pay for it.

carol cameron
15-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Has mum realised that university holidays are different to schools? I am attending uni now and have been told that there are no half term holidays at all.
It may be that she hasn't really thought it through properly. I also wondered if mum is expecting you to cover inset/snow days etc ? In which case you will need to be paid some kind of retainer surely.
I do have children that only attend term time and also holiday time but I don't charge any retainers on the very clear understanding that I will not be available to cover extra days.
Good luck in getting it sorted:)

louised
15-10-2010, 05:41 PM
I didn't think uni's had half term holidays as they have so long over the summer