PDA

View Full Version : 8 year old pushing buggy?

buzzy bee
14-10-2010, 09:25 PM
Some of you may have seen a post a couple of weeks ago where I said I have 3 under 18 months on 2 half days a week... in half term I'm also going to have my 8yr old for those 2 days. I'm just wondering if we could go out - I could push the double and she could push the single pushchair... what do you think?

youarewhatyoueat
14-10-2010, 09:28 PM
I'm thinking no unless its a sibling and not a mindee.

buzzy bee
14-10-2010, 09:31 PM
How about if she was to push my son and i was to push the 2 mindees?

wendywu
14-10-2010, 09:35 PM
[
QUOTE=buzzy bee;797784]How about if she was to push my son and i was to push the 2 mindees?[/QUOTE]

I cannot personally see a problem with that. :)

Blaze
14-10-2010, 10:08 PM
[

I cannot personally see a problem with that. :)[/QUOTE]

Neither can I - that is your decision as a parent IYSWIM.:)

tinkerbelle
15-10-2010, 08:50 AM
my youngest (at the minute ) is 8 and he pushes the mindees in a pushchair admittedly only in the park but he loves to push the pram and i for one am not going to stop him

venus89
15-10-2010, 08:55 AM
My children (8&10) like to push mindees in the buggy to school. I can't see a problem with it as long as it's in my sight and they're careful. But I'd never make it their job to do it and always take the pushchair back when they want me to......

buzzy bee
15-10-2010, 09:00 AM
My children (8&10) like to push mindees in the buggy to school. I can't see a problem with it as long as it's in my sight and they're careful. But I'd never make it their job to do it and always take the pushchair back when they want me to......
hmm see i wouldnt have that option as i'd have the double...

maybe i'll try just the park to begin with, and see how she finds it!

my single buggy is very light and easy to push so hopefully she won't struggle!!

venus89
15-10-2010, 09:06 AM
hmm see i wouldnt have that option as i'd have the double...

maybe i'll try just the park to begin with, and see how she finds it!

my single buggy is very light and easy to push so hopefully she won't struggle!!

I'm not criticising :) I don't know how I'd cope with 3 under 18 months - Isuspect it would involve a lot of wine in the evenings....:laughing:

JCrakers
15-10-2010, 09:13 AM
My 8yr old sometimes asks to push the buggy. As long as we are not going down a hill I always let her..:D

becky xx

buzzy bee
15-10-2010, 09:14 AM
I'm not criticising :) I don't know how I'd cope with 3 under 18 months - Isuspect it would involve a lot of wine in the evenings....:laughing:

i didn't take it as a critisism - you made a good point - what if we got 20 mins down the road and she decided she'd had enough!! :panic:

ha ha!! Yep... lots of wine when they've all gone home!! :laughing:

Carol M
15-10-2010, 09:34 AM
If the 8yr old is your own child and will be pushing your own lo then that is your decision as a parent to let this happen. However I would not let a mindee of any age push or be pushed by another child.
Carol xx

buzzy bee
15-10-2010, 09:59 AM
If the 8yr old is your own child and will be pushing your own lo then that is your decision as a parent to let this happen. However I would not let a mindee of any age push or be pushed by another child.
Carol xx

Just re-read my 1st post... i meant 'my 8yr old mindee' - she's not actually 'mine'. But one of the little ones is!!

Mouse
15-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Personally I wouldn't go out if the only way I could do it was to have a child pushing another child in a pushchair, especially if they were mindees.

I do let my 9yr old daughter push the buggy, but parents are happy about it and I can always take over at roads etc.

bandlady
15-10-2010, 11:24 AM
Sorry but I wouldn' do it, you cannot let an 8 year old mindee have responsibility for a child in a buggy if you are not in a position to take over if 8 year old has had enough.

Denise

venus89
15-10-2010, 11:30 AM
I think as it's a mindee then I wouldn't personally. I'm not sure the parents would be that happy! What about a buggy board?

buzzy bee
15-10-2010, 11:35 AM
I think as it's a mindee then I wouldn't personally. I'm not sure the parents would be that happy! What about a buggy board?

I would definitely discuss it with the mindee and her mum first to make sure they were both completely happy.

Maybe we'll just stick to home or maybe try the park (only a 5min walk).

The oldest is too young still for a buggy board... usually we just stay in and it's fine but I don't want the 8 year old to get bored being inside.

I can probably think of things to entertain her indoors tho (any ideas welcome!!)

Thanks for everyone's responses!

Jacko81
11-01-2011, 11:08 AM
dont know if this is any help, but i have a buggy pod 2 and it is great. I have my own 2yr, a 9mth and a 13mth old and t has been a lifesaver for me. i got mine secod hand off ebay for £40 and fits to lots of buggys. mine is attached to my tandem phil and ted sport. worth a look x

Bridey
11-01-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm sure she'll have fun playing with the babies at home - big children often like to play with little ones and you could sit and do something special with her when the others are having a nap.

buzzy bee
11-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks, this is quite an old post so no longer relevant but will def look into one of those pod things for future use, so thanks! :thumbsup:

rachelle
11-01-2011, 12:15 PM
You can get buggy boards with seats on which may help- or an umbrella triple buggy? Infact your own little one may be able to sit on the hood or footrest of current buggy. (Urban detour doubles are fab for this - check free ads paper) My (own) 7 year old with occasionally push his twin's wheelchair to school for me if I'm stuck and pushing a buggy (they both find it hilarious and seem to spend the 20 min walk practising rally driving techniques!) but I wouldn't want him to do it too often as I know how my back hurts at the end of a walk.

Sleeping Baby
11-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Is one of the babys small enough to put in a sling then you would only need the double buggy.:thumbsup:

julie w
11-01-2011, 01:27 PM
I use a buggy pod. It's brilliant for adding an extra seat onto my double pushchair, or a buggy board as they get older. Yiu may find the novelty of pushing a pushchair will wear off and you'll be stuck with 2 pushchairs to push.:panic: