PDA

View Full Version : Ill children

Caz-b
14-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Hi

Just wondered if anyone has come across this - have looked on a few posts about illness but can't find anything. If the children come to you and they are ill (I think we've all had them haven't we?) and they pass it on to the Childminder who then has to have time off, can we still ask the parents to pay as it was their children who gave it to us?

Have had it fairly recently where they have been full of cold, coughing, streaming eyes and nose but still come. Trying to teach the younger one to cover his mouth when he coughs too but that not always succesfull and also getting them to not wipe noses on clothes, furniture etc :mad:. Then few days later I come down with it or my own child does but we battle on and don't take time off even though we feel rough as!

Any thoughts anyone?

Cheers x

mamasheshe
14-10-2010, 08:37 PM
i wouldn't be able to as you can't prove they gave it to you ?! (even if they did:laughing: )

i guess it's just a case of sending them home if they're not well enough to be at yours easier said than done i know :D

buzzy bee
14-10-2010, 08:40 PM
it's a toughy especially with colds cos you can't exactly prove you got it from them (even though it's a very high possibility) - you could have caught it in the queue at the post office... i'll be interested to see other peoples responses!!

on the flip side, if you have a cold and pass it onto the kids... would you not charge them for time off because it was you who gave them the cold?

Pipsqueak
14-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Its the nature of the job really isn;t it and i think we would have a hard time proving it came from the child.

I have told parents in the past - that if you persist in sending an ill child to me and I come down with it or my family do, then I will consider charging them due to their inconsideration and the result of me having to close the setting. Don;t think it would stand up legally though....:D

Noomie
14-10-2010, 09:06 PM
It's a toughy... Colds for me are no problem really. We might just have a few days doing a little less than normal. Incubation / contagious periods of illnesses are often before symptoms occur. By the time they are ill, we have all already been exposed - a lot. Obviously continued exposure means more risk of contracting an illness but I feel we have probably more than likely got it already. We may as well all be ill together and the parents get on with working if they are well.

But other illnesses obviously that include high temps, etc are not great and need time off.