PDA

View Full Version : Help with elective mute

Hayley102
14-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Hi

I am minding a little girl aged 4 (just) and she hardly says anything to me. She has been coming to me for approx 9 hours a week over 2 days for 6 months. When she started mum said she doesn't talk much to people outside the family. I thought I would give her time to settle and she seemed to be starting to say a little before the summer holidays. Now she seems to have got worse and will choose not to say anything. She will talk to her brother when we pick up from school and sometimes to the other children. I am going into her pre-school next week to talk to staff about how they are handling it. Anybody had experience of this or any suggestions would be very welcome. Thank you

Pipsqueak
14-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Bump.

sorry no experience of this but keep including her and talking to her. Does she communicate with you in any other way?

Carpet Monkeys
14-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Hi There

My son has selective mutism, which has improved immensely over the last 8 months. I'm more than happy to help you along the way if you wish with the techniques we used to get my son talking to his class teacher.

sonia ann
14-10-2010, 08:13 PM
http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=58016&highlight=mutism

the above thread may be helpful..........try contacting the original poster x x

sorry posted at the same time xx

sarah707
14-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Keep talking and including her in everything.

just because she won't tell you doesn't mean she doesn't want a say in what she is doing ... you just need to find another way that she will feel comfortable communicating with you.

Would she use a communication book? Something with pictures of yes / no / water / food etc.

It is hard work, I know that. I cared for a boy who chose not to talk to me and I used to be shattered after every session. The worst was turning round and tripping over him when he stood silently behind me :laughing:

He's 9 now and there's no shutting him up! :D

Hayley102
18-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the replies. It helps just being able to talk about it. I haven't had my meeting with the pre-school yet but am interested to find out what she is currently like there. She will nod and shake her head and sometimes gives single word answers in a funny voice. She will be starting school next September and I really want to help her overcome this before then.