PDA

View Full Version : When Ofsted arrive

mumtodaniel
09-04-2008, 01:50 PM
I have Ofsted arriving next Monday or Tuesday about 12.00. I collect the children from nursery at 11.30 and we generally arrive back, they like to take their time about 12.00

When she arrives, do you think I should ask her to sit with us for lunch, the children always help prepare lunch but I generally put it all out on the table. Also, do you tell the children why she is here, or just say she is coming to visit. The two kids I will have are 4 1/2 years. One in particularly is very talkative, and will no doubt end up asking her loads of questions. She also eats a lot, and will still ask for more - asking for treats - usually say no, but maybe later as one of them is with me till 6.00pm.

Any help appreciated.

THanks
Maureen

Minnie Minx
09-04-2008, 01:55 PM
I personally wouldn't ask her to join you as she's there to observe. I would also just tell the kiddies that you'll have a visitor staying for a while. Don't tell them who she is etc as they'll more then likely blurt it out lol. Just be yourself and don't panic. Good luck and don't forget to let us know how you get on

xxx

Tatia
09-04-2008, 01:55 PM
I'd offer her a cup of tea and a biscuit but not lunch. It's a great time for her to sit back and really observe what you are doing. Plan some simple but interesting food that day so the kids can get into it (like mini pizzas they can put their own toppings on). Put all your policies and paperwork on a shelf, point her in that direction and then say "pardon me but I have to get on with the children." She'll love you for ignoring her.

I tihnk I'd just say to the kids that you're having a visitor to watch that day.

angeldelight
09-04-2008, 01:59 PM
Sorry I have to be different

I would ask her to sit at the table with us and get the children to ask if she wants anything then she can sit and watch and chat away whilst you are all preparing it

These inspectors are only human and she might be starving herself at the time but there again she might just want a drink
The kids might enjoy giving her something and she might like to be asked

Just do something nice and easy and light

You are going to feel really uncomfortable and not know what you should be doing otherwise so act natural and treat your lunch time like any other day but with an extra guest
Explain to the kids before so they are prepared

Its what I would do anyway

Good luck

Angel xx

mumtodaniel
09-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks for replies, what planning on having the cheese, ham out, they butter their bread, and they also cut up their sausages, and cucumber if they want it, and of course the carrots. I have all my stuff in a filing cabinet in the play room, DH bought me one as stuff was everywhere, can I just point her to that, it has lots of stuff in it, EYFS planning etc, ideas etc as well as my portfolio, complaints book, risk book etc, and of course attendance book, contract etc or should I get everything out, only have my work surfaces in the kitchen to put it on.

Thanks

Mauree

breezy
09-04-2008, 02:07 PM
Beware!
My inspector told me 10.30 as her time to visit on a wednes or thurs,
I explained that because of the children's activities I wouldn't be home until 10.30 on the wednes.
Darling inspector arrived at 10am, luckily hubby let her in and rang me panicking as she said she could only wait 20mins and then would have to leave!
(all that cleaning for nothing!!!!).
I told him to give her all my paperwork that was on the table and make her a cup of tea! She said she couldnt accept tea but could she have warm water!
I broke every rule of the road trying to get back in time,( just made it),but what a panic!
Inspector then told me they often arrive early and last time she did she caught a minder doing the ironing!!
Aren't they lovely people?!
She was eventually really chatty and down to earth and all went well!!
I don't mean to scare you though, but watch your time
Good luck
Breezy:thumbsup:

sarah707
09-04-2008, 02:13 PM
Make sure what you are serving is healthy stuff... get children to wash their hands... include lots of counting and fractions as you cut up the food... and I would ask her to join us, though she will probably refuse.

It will be a great opportunity for her to see you interacting with the children - can you tuck her at the corner of your table (she will need a power point) so she can be with you and you are keeping children's routine the same?

Good luck! :D

mumtodaniel
09-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Thank sarah, not sure where she will sit, could make table bigger, but do not really want to as only do this when more than four for lunch, dinner etc and compromises on space. Will bring her a chair. Because the kids are old enough and they do it so often they always wash hands etc, we generally have a good chat then, trying to teach days of week, so we talk about what day it is and what they did at nursery, if they remeber. Will ensure I get them counting to. I just hope I wont be so nervous.

I put good on my self evaluation form for a couple of things, but wonder as I have only been doing this for six weeks whether she will mark everything satisfactory, I guess we shall see. I have only done a short term planning, don't want it to look like I have been doing this for ages when I have not.

Thanks for replies

sarah707
09-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Sounds like you're well organised... :D

Jinx
09-04-2008, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=Put all your policies and paperwork on a shelf, point her in that direction and then say "pardon me but I have to get on with the children." She'll love you for ignoring her.

QUOTE]

Totally agree with the ignoring part. Friend of me advised this and it worked for me!!! Don't rush in with an answer if you're unsure, let yourself be distracted by the kids whilst you have a think.
Good luck, sounds like you have it all under control:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Jinny x

mumtodaniel
09-04-2008, 04:44 PM
thanks for advice, be glad when it is all over. This forum has been so useful, and I have just finished printing children's details to laminate and carry on keyring with me, great idea from here. Hope to get it all done by tomorrow and plan to celebrate my birthday friday, and do a good clean of house over the weekend, and re-read standards, safeguarding etc.

Will let you know how I get on.

Maureen

Tatia
10-04-2008, 07:14 AM
Good luck and have a happy birthday!

miffy
10-04-2008, 07:20 AM
You've had lots of great advice so just wanted to wish you good luck

Let us know how it goes

miffy xx

Banana
10-04-2008, 09:02 AM
Good luck with your inspection!

x

Michelle M
11-04-2008, 07:02 PM
My Inspector never gave me a time, just told me it would be an afternoon. I forgot to offer her a cup of tea, but we were too busy playing and she just kept following me around and apologising for interrupting me :)

GOOD LUCK, let us know how it goes.