PDA

View Full Version : Is this an absolute legal requirement?

em29
14-10-2010, 10:49 AM
I was having a conversation today with my minder friend about what we would do for the half term and she said she would have some days out with the kids. Neither of us drive but our husbands do. I said I would not take them out as we do not have business class insurance on the car (husband not off anyway), but she said it doesn't matter if you have parents permission. Now - i know that it DOES matter - parental permission does not negate anything! BUT is it a definite legal requirement if we personally are not driving the car??? (Not that I would risk it at all!!!). :panic:

Millenium
14-10-2010, 11:14 AM
On our car insurance, cover is in place for use in my business but only when I am driving not anyone else, even if they are generally insured to drive the car at other times. Maybe it differs between different insurers so best check with your insurer/broker to be sure but as far as I know business use cover is essential otherwise if you have an accident and it was at a time when you were "working", they will not pay out!

miffy
14-10-2010, 11:18 AM
I would have thought if the car was being used for business you would need business insurance. Best check with the insurers first.

Miffy xx

aly
14-10-2010, 11:30 AM
my partner has business use on my insurance to drive my car should I need him too!.

It is a legalrequirement for your husband[s] to be insured business ifthey would be driving withyour mindees in the car.

MAWI
14-10-2010, 11:32 AM
I would ring OFSTED just to clarify.
I spoke to Ofsted yesterday (slightly different situation) as I want my husband to be registered as my assistant for cases such as in the holidays for outings, so we can take 2 cars sometimes or he can drive my car.
I was told that if he was going to drive a seperate car, he would have to be registered as my assitant, have his First Aid ( because he would be left alone with them) and I would have to have parental permission, but also it MUST state on my certificate that he is allowed to do this.
Im not sure how you intend to transport them , i.e in one car or two. I think maybe its just worth the clarification incase soemthing did god forbid go wrong.
:panic:

sweets
14-10-2010, 11:54 AM
i would just ring your car insurance and get it put on, didnt cost me any more to have it.

rickysmiths
14-10-2010, 12:32 PM
My husband has been registered as my assistant for a few years now so we can all go out in the holidays using both our cars. They are both insured for business use for childminding and both of us can drive either car with the mindees in, my husband on his own.

I would have thought that if you do not have the business cover so the children you a transporting you will not be insured.

angiemog
14-10-2010, 01:04 PM
It didn't cost me any extra to add business use either. x

tulip0803
14-10-2010, 04:40 PM
My insurance covers both me & DH to drive car related to my business at no extra costs, DH has changed to this insurer this year so it is the same with his car.

If there is an accident and your friend & her DH have mindees in the car the insurance company will wriggle out of paying as they are not properly insured. Because they are carrying minded children the vehicle is now being used for business and as such needs business insurance even if it is not his business. This could lead to a prosecution/points/car crushed if they came across a policeman so inclined due to being uninsured. Normal insurance only covers social & domestic travel (normally with normal commute included), as soon as you do anything outher than social/domestic/normal commute you should inform your insurer so that they can ammend cover, even if it is a days training elsewhere it may not cover it.

One reason I do not charge for pick-ups is if there was an accident the insurance company could claim I was doing it for "hire and reward" and decline pay out. Particularly bad if children have been injured. I still have permission signed to use the car. My insurance certificates have always been checked by OFSTED and now CSSIW to ensure that the cover is correct. Because she does not drive does not mean that this does not apply to her.

Mouse
14-10-2010, 05:04 PM
I discussed this with an Ofsted inspector at an inspection years ago. I don't drive & wanted to know how it would work if DH took me & the mindees in the car. She said I needed parental permission, but he didn't need business insurance as he wasn't running a business.

I don't know if it's changed, but it would be good to find out for definite.

Chatterbox Childcare
14-10-2010, 05:09 PM
It is the car that needs the business insurance as normal insurance would not cover you.

it may not be an Ofsted legal requirements but it is a requirement of law that you have car insurance.

tulip0803
14-10-2010, 05:27 PM
I discussed this with an Ofsted inspector at an inspection years ago. I don't drive & wanted to know how it would work if DH took me & the mindees in the car. She said I needed parental permission, but he didn't need business insurance as he wasn't running a business.

I don't know if it's changed, but it would be good to find out for definite.

As Debbie says it is not an OFSTED registration thing it is a british law that the car has appropriate insurance cover and the car needs to have business insurance if it is being used outside of "Social, domestic & commuting" which carrying childminding children cannot come under. You need to contact your insurance company. OFSTED can only advise on regulations relating to your registration they cannot give accurate information about insurance laws. sorry x

candy cat
14-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Just asked my partner who works in insurance

a, The reason we have business insurance is that we are are at a greater risk as we use the roads more than demestic use.

b, If you use a vehicle without business ins then any third parties ie passengers will be covered, BUT the driver won't and neither would the car!! So if you put a friend in a position to give you and mindees a lift home and you had an accident.....You and the children would be covered,but your friend and her car would not,but would normally be without you in the car.

c, People make so many mistakes by not reading/understanding insurance.....if YOU **** up they will not pay...

SO DO NOT GET IN ANY CAR WITH MINDEES THAT IS NOT COVERED WITH CLASS1 INSURANCE.

em29
14-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Thanks everyone - for all those reasons - this is why I will not have midees travel in my husbands car. Now that I have a bit more info I may bring it up again - I do not think her husband will be so keen to take mindees in car if he realises that it negates his car insurance :panic:

Mouse
14-10-2010, 08:00 PM
As Debbie says it is not an OFSTED registration thing it is a british law that the car has appropriate insurance cover and the car needs to have business insurance if it is being used outside of "Social, domestic & commuting" which carrying childminding children cannot come under. You need to contact your insurance company. OFSTED can only advise on regulations relating to your registration they cannot give accurate information about insurance laws. sorry x

Thanks for that. Minded children never actually travel in the car with DH, but I would like it done properly incase they ever need to. I'll get him to phone his insurance company tomorrow :thumbsup:

tulip0803
14-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Insurance companies will try to wriggle out of any claim any way they can so better to be safe than sorry:thumbsup:

Mouse
15-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Well, I told DH he was going to have to phone & ask about business insurance & he said "why? I've already got it!" :rolleyes:

I've told him to phone anyway & check he would be covered if we took minded children in the car.