PDA

View Full Version : 6 yr old boy in hols

lady boss
09-04-2008, 12:52 PM
Hi All,

I have a mother coming to visit later today, to have her 6 yr old son for 3 days next week for the holidays. I have only just started minding. I have a 5 yr old daughter so lots of girls things but i have nothing as yet for a six yr old boy!!! I am begining to panic. What do 6 yr old boys like to do?:panic: Any advice would be great. I am printing off some power ranger prints for him to colour when he is here, but i feel bad that i have nothing so far x

sarah707
09-04-2008, 12:56 PM
He will probably arrive plugged into some electronic game and you will have to physically prise it out of his hands to encourage a bit of exercise or eating. He might like the TV and possibly the computer (K9 from www.download.com stops those dodgy sites being visited). He might well play with little ones if you have any... and cars might still go down well at 6.

Other than that, ask him what he likes to do and work from there...

Good luck! :D

lady boss
09-04-2008, 12:59 PM
Ah thank you for fast reply Sarah. I have no other little ones as yet. I will be having 8 yr old girl again next wk. My 5 yr old played with her lovely again today, but the 8 yr old is not allowed to watch tv,so i dont know how to handle this if the 6 yr old boy wants to watch tv?!!
My hubby has an xbox maybe that will interest him. Thanks again x

Tatia
09-04-2008, 01:45 PM
but the 8 yr old is not allowed to watch tv,so i dont know how to handle this if the 6 yr old boy wants to watch tv?!!

That's tricky. I would never agree to take on a child and not let them watch tv. Not that we are stuck to it or anything but we do watch it. I think it's expecting a bit much of you to ask that.

But yeah bet the Xbox will go down a treat! And there are plenty of other non-gender specific things kids like, such as painting, modelling clay, crafts. Hopefully he'll play happily alongside the girls. Mine are mixed (boys and girls) and they play a wide range of imaginative games like "cats and dogs" (current favourite) and "mummies and daddies". Put out the home corner, role play and dressing up stuff. Bet they entertain themselves!

angeldelight
09-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Just wanted to say good luck

Angel xx

Kelly
09-04-2008, 06:13 PM
I have 5 and 7 year old boys after school/holidays, believe it or not they really enjoy dressing up (in the girls and boys clothes!) they also really enjoy making things, so loads of crafty things (a trip to the local scrap store is always a good idea before the holidays). They like role play, things like working on the fruit stall at the market, trips to the park. In the summer as everyone was going on their holidays we went to the travel agents looked at the brochures, brought loads home with us, set up a travel agents, chose a holiday destination, set up a passport office and made passports, you get the idea.

Must say after our hectic day I always find them sat in front of the telly catching a couple of cartoons having a well deserved rest!!!

Good luck, the fact that you have no younger ones to consider I am sure there are loads of things to keep everyone occupied.

Kelly

Alibali
09-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Have to agree with Tasha here. Although my TV is rarely on, I have one parent who doesn't own a TV and doesn't want LO to watch either, however my other mindees do want to watch a little TV and their parents are happy for them to. So I have explained to Mum that as per my day plan TV will be allowed for 30 mins a day as other children should be allowed choice. I don't think she is overly happy, but certainly not unhappy enough to find alternative childcare.

Ali :)

Twinkles
09-04-2008, 06:24 PM
My advice is to take them out all day and exhaust them ;) So far this week we've been to the cinema, McDonalds, a farm and today we hired a scout hut with a woods attached ( completely fenced in ). We've been making dens in the woods , we decorated biscuits , did craft and had a bouncy castle ( borrowed from a friend ) oh and we made junk models.

manjay
09-04-2008, 06:24 PM
I have 5 & 7 year old boys after school and some hols. They have spent 2 hours tonight playing with the new dolls house!! they love the garden if the weather is not to bad. They don't watch tv but do love time on the wii. It is restricted and they get an hour two nights a week but they love it.

amanda xx

Polly2
10-04-2008, 09:37 AM
My son is coming up 6 and he is mad on dinosaurs and anything to do with spongebob squarepants!!

But they are all different - my advise would be to get loads of info from mum as to his interests and go from there.

All the best xx

fionamal
10-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Playing football.

Playing electronic games

Train set/ Scalextric

Cooking and Baking

Arts and crafts