PDA

View Full Version : Signs for potty training

Helcatt
13-10-2010, 10:12 PM
its been a few years since my girl was potty trained and I've forgotten

I am looking afer a 2 1/2 year old boy and his mum is wanting to start on potty training. She keeps telling me he is showing all the signs but I am not so convinced

Please remind me what I should be looking for

then can make a more informed decision - mum is talking about taking a week off work and just taking nappy off and staying in all week

I'm all for supportig him, if he is ready but he doesn't notice a poo at all and on odd accasions says wee but always after the fact

HX

Helcatt
14-10-2010, 09:03 PM
Bumpity bump???????????

Noomie
14-10-2010, 09:09 PM
A quick google got me this...

http://www.parentingtoddlers.com/pottytraining.html

Hope it helps! x

Pipsqueak
14-10-2010, 09:13 PM
Showing an awareness /being uncomfortable of they done something in their nappy - being aware they are wet or dirty
indicating the bathroom/toilet/potty - learned behaviour
taking an interest in using the above
the methods of communicating with you that they need to go/have done something
they understand you

Helcatt
14-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Showing an awareness /being uncomfortable of they done something in their nappy - being aware they are wet or dirty
indicating the bathroom/toilet/potty - learned behaviour
taking an interest in using the above
the methods of communicating with you that they need to go/have done something
they understand you

Thats prob the only one he gets

I knew he had done a poo this morning and when I asked, he said "Doh", his version of No! and then I looked and said yes, there is poo and he said "doh, ee" meaning wee

He has speech issues as it is and I think he is unable to communicate effectively enough, for a start, but also, he does not seem aware before he does it, sometimes knows after a wee but doesn't warn me, doesn't find it uncomfortable, doesn't even seem to notice if there is a poo, it takes me smelling it, he doesn't tell me

He asked for the potty today, so I got it out and he sat on it, trousers up and nappy still on. DD2 was dry by this age but she was able to tell me and every time I went to the loo, she wanted to follow and try so we let her and just went with the flow, didnt force the issue which is what mum seems to want to do with this lad

I personally feel that it would be puttng too much pressure on him but she made the point that she doesn't want to still be dealing with nappies in year. And its obvious she doesn't agree with my suggestion of leaving him a bit longer

Maybe I should suggest she can try while we are on the xmas hols?

Hx