PDA

View Full Version : A holiday question

snufflepuff
13-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Just wondering....
If a parent tells you they are going on holiday, and you later decide to take some holiday at the same time as them.....do they pay you or not?
(assuming that their holidays are charged in full and your holidays are unpaid, also nothing in contracts about half pay or in the event of both taking the same hols etc)
????

crazyhazy
13-10-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm in scotland and use scma contracts and they have a section for holidays coinciding, I have half fees in there but it's not actually happened yet.

wendywu
13-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Are they your only mindees, or have you cancelled other mindees to go away.

If i had other mindees and had told them that i was now going away then i would not charge the first set of parents as well.

If on the other hand they were the only ones then i would fib and say that i decided to go and visit relatives at the other end of the country for a week, and i DONT class that as a holiday.:laughing:

Mookins
13-10-2010, 09:58 PM
well my parents have told me they wont need me for 2 weeks over xmas they know when im closed anyway... they pay full for their holiday none for mine.

and ive said i may well be in hospital for some of that so ive been honest and said for the time im in hospital and recovering then i wouldnt charge them for that time of their holiday cos i wouldnt be able to work

if they pay you then aslong as theyve given reasonable notice you have to be available for them surely:)

xxx

miffy
14-10-2010, 06:50 AM
If i had other mindees and had told them that i was now going away then i would not charge the first set of parents as well.

Same here

Miffy xx

snufflepuff
14-10-2010, 07:14 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm not in this situation, I was just curious. Just incase it ever happens! I'm sure it will!

I'd like to say that once a parent has booked time off it is up to us what we do with ourselves while they are away. It's a bit different if you then decide to cancel all the other mindees- it's only fair to just not charge anyone. But if, for example, this is your only mindee, they tell you they are going on holiday for a couple of days, and you decide to do something that you couldn't have done with mindee around- a shopping trip, visiting family, or a day at the beach for example....would you then tell then that you don't want paying because what you have been doing? Or do you think that it's none of their business?

wendywu
14-10-2010, 07:26 AM
[
QUOTE=snufflepuff;797149]Thanks everyone. I'm not in this situation, I was just curious. Just incase it ever happens! I'm sure it will!

you decide to do something that you couldn't have done with mindee around- a shopping trip, visiting family, or a day at the beach for example....would you then tell then that you don't want paying because what you have been doing? Or do you think that it's none of their business?[/QUOTE]

This is not classed as a holiday in my books. So it is nothing to do with them.:)

I have never been in the situation where i only had one set of parents so it has never happened :)

mama2three
14-10-2010, 09:26 AM
If they tell me theyre not coming then I can do what I like with the time!
My little mindee is term time and pays a retainer for the holidays. I dont charge if Im jetting off somewhere - but other than that they pay the retainer . Same with holidays - just been trying to work out Xmas so I dont lose out too much !