PDA

View Full Version : Speech regression HELP!!

ClaireCM
13-10-2010, 03:58 PM
:panic: I child mind a 2 and a half year old and a 3 year old, both full time. The 3 year old has been coming to me about 6 months and the younger child, only about 3 months. Since this time I have noticed a steady regression in the elder childs speech. He is a very bright child and speaks better than alot of children I worked with at 4 years old in a reception class, he is incredibly chatty and picks up everything he hears and even uses it by himself and in context!! However, he now copies the majority of what the younger child says and I am confident he is aware that when he does, he is speaking incorrectly. For example, he can say 'doggy' perfectly but now insists on saying 'doddy.' Not only does he do the copying when the younger child is around, he has now taken it further and continues to speak improperly all of the time. Can anybody advise what action I can take other than to explain to this 3 year old that he is bigger and can speak better and should teach the younger one etc etc as I have done already??? Please help me, his mother is aware of the situation and we have exasperated ourselves trying to figure out what to do now!!!! Thanks

sillysausage
13-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Frustrating as it is I might be tempted to ignore it for a while longer. It may be that he is doing it for effect, especially if he is getting a reaction. Just carry on doing what you normally do to encourage correct speech eg, repeating what a child says but correctly (child says 'doddy' you say 'yes it's a doggy'), adding extra information (child says 'doddy' you say 'yes it's a brown/big/spotty doggy) etc.
Sounds like one of those 'phases', no doubt he'll find something else soon. If it doesn't wear off soon you could say 'sorry X, I can't tell what you are saying, can you talk more clearly?'

Mouse
13-10-2010, 06:24 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about it. The fact that he has been speaking well shows he can do it, he is just chosing not to at the moment.

I would try ignoring it for a while. Praise him when he says the words properly & don't mention it when he doesn't. Maybe getting attention for speaking properly will encourage him to do it more often.

ClaireCM
18-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Thank you. I have noticed over the last week it has slightly worn off. I have taken to telling him that I cannot understand what he says when he doesnt speak properly and he just gets bored of having to repeat everything!!!