PDA

View Full Version : Toddler cups

pinklady
13-10-2010, 02:38 PM
At what age do you generally introduce cups without lids to LO's?

Children in my setting always have to sit down to have their drink because I can't stand seeing children wandering around with cups all day :rolleyes: They can access water all day though. My mindee just turned 2 and I think I might start giving her a normal beaker at home.

What do you all do?

PixiePetal
13-10-2010, 03:00 PM
at home if I can supervise closely, then about 2 to 2.5 - depends on the child - mindee at the moment is more likely to be older :rolleyes: a bit headstrong and not very in control.

I usually go from a cup with valve to a free flow/straw one so they learn control of the flow first then move on to an open cup. The 'doidy' cup is a good one to start with :thumbsup:

curlycathy
13-10-2010, 04:05 PM
I had an 8 month old come to me once with a doidy cup cos mum wanted him to have his milk from it. Used to make me feel drunk and got a lot of laughs at childrens centre watching me try to put it down straight:laughing:

I would say about 2ish but it does depend on the child. My 23 month old has been using a beaker quite happily for a few months now. Also I agree that its best to start off at home before graduating to beakers at other places.

sarah707
13-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Around 2 depending on the child. :D

sillysausage
13-10-2010, 05:37 PM
about 2 here as well.

onceinabluemoon
13-10-2010, 07:01 PM
about 2 here too, some earlier and some later, depending on their hand to eye coordination etc

Alibali
13-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Yep, 2ish here too.

miffy
13-10-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm with everyone else - around 2 depending on the child!

Miffy xx

babs
13-10-2010, 07:26 PM
2ish here too , although after the last few days im thinking of going back to antispill..... monday 3yr knocked milk all over floor, tuesday another 3yr old dropped milk all over herself and floor and today 7 yr old knocked hers flying across my kitchen table...:( :( last week was green paint up kitchen window and blinds.... they do make me smile tho they just sit there and watch it drip off table onto thier knees...