PDA

View Full Version : Fed up being a childminder

nikijc0205
13-10-2010, 01:39 PM
I am soooooooooooooooooooo fed up!!!!
There is not much work where I live so was pleased when I had a lady coming to see me yesterday. After she left I thought really deflated. She clearly doesn't know what she wants, although I think she needs a nanny. I offered to give her 2 children 3 meals a day at no extra cost as she was saying she wouldm't be able to supply food.
Sorry to moan but I was left feeling that childminding just isn't working for me but I do need the work. Thank you for reading.x

Pipsqueak
13-10-2010, 01:42 PM
hang on in there hun. step up the advertising, look at how you are advertising as well. make is jazzy, to the point and something different.

I would be careful on compromising your business terms just to get business - it can work out none to the good sometimes.

I have been through a few tough years of getting work but at the moment (fingers x'd) its working out great.

miffy
13-10-2010, 01:43 PM
It's hard if you need work and there's not much around but if you have to offer to give two children 3 meals a day for nothing the work is probably not worth having!

It really makes me cross when parents try and get care for next to nothing especially if they are getting help themselves from tax credits!

Hope you get some more promising enquiries soon

Miffy xx

russell
13-10-2010, 03:35 PM
Hi I have been childminding for 25 yrs and am seriously thinking of leaving the job,no work, fed with all the paperwork and getting older so will be much harder to find something else if leave it to long to look for something else just not sure ,Big Decision after ALL THIS TIME.

nikijc0205
13-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Thanks for all your replies.x

mrs.h
13-10-2010, 07:15 PM
oh dear,

i have to agree with hang in there and don't compromise your business terms.

russel, i am sorry you are feeling like that. i have only been childminding for a year and i am thinking about giving up. i am never up to date with my paperwork, parents are a bit funny, get paid late and get poorly children sent to me. off for an interview tomorrow :) good luck with your decision.

mrs.h

desiderata
13-10-2010, 07:20 PM
I think with all the problems and paperwork now childminding is a very difficult job. I have been minding since 1993 and love the kids well most of them. But the problems we encounter with parents etc is a minefield. Just read the posts I alone have posted. Parents think they can dictate what they pay etc and treat us like dirt and we have no one to support us. I think that many childminders are thinking of giving upx Sorry for the moan just know how you feel and have had a bad dayxx

The Juggler
13-10-2010, 09:01 PM
oh hon. sounds like a demanding mum. don't give in though. do you want to provide the meals? if you do, you should charge. Tell her you spoke to dh and he's furious you're providing/not charging for meals as you closely monitor household budgets together. Sure he won't mind you blaming him.

Happy Bunny
14-10-2010, 06:49 AM
I agree blame husband it works wonders.
After one stressful week with one parent, i told her my husband was annoyed and to be honest fuming, that my job was affecting our personal life.
Week 3 so far she's towing the line LOL

It does get so disheartening sometimes, some parents do expect everything, think they need to employ a nanny to be honest

I've been doing this job for years and am seriously thinking of giving it up in a few years time (once my youngest goes to school full time)
If you weigh up the pro's and con's you do wonder "what am i doing" at times.
Though other times the fun makes your day worthwhile.

Jayse74
22-10-2010, 11:50 PM
I had this feeling deep down recently that childminder's were going to get a raw deal and its just not fair. We have been minding for over 2years now if ive got my dates right and we have been through ups and downs and there have been some really good days. We have met so many different kinds of people from all walks of life I can honestly say its been quite a journey. But now it just seems its could be all over. We currently still have clients but for how long is anyones guess. I really hope im just being silly or over-reactive but its how I feel currently.

Something else that is bothering me is our local primary school seems intent on setting up childcare on their premises! I felt sick when I read the newsletter they give out, our son attends the school and some of our mindee's are from there too and all I can now see is future childcare will be diverted there, we wont get a look in :( My partner has met the new school head and she is a really nice person who goes out of her way to talk to us and knows what we do for a living but somehow I just dont know if this will make a difference at the end of the day. so much for liasing eh!

Penny1959
23-10-2010, 04:58 AM
So sad to hear about all of you who are dispondant and / or not getting work.

If not getting work - please hang on as long as possible. In my case it took six months from registration to start to fill my places. As a family we were right on the edge finacially (agreed reduced payments to mortgage / loans people, loans from family members, gifts of food from family members) and really if did not start at that point would have had to get another job and possibly downsize our home as so far behind with bills.

However out of the blue on a Monday tea time came the call - parents visiting one hour later, settling in visits during next week.

Another call one afternoon - visit on the Friday child start on the Monday.

Suppose what I am trying to do is give encouragement as things can change very quickly.

Those of you thinking of giving up - think carefully - I gave up 7 years ago -now back childminding - was shocked at just how many household related tasks had to be done after work - and even more shocked at amount in pay packet after taxman had his share. Work expenses were high - 'whip rounds' for special occassions, buying cakes on my birthday, work clothes, buying coffee / lunch when out of office on business trips.
Other things did not like - were being told what to do and when to do it, and being told if could take holiday at same time as dh.
Then there was the stress - it made me ill - and parent stress is nothing compared to office stress - as with parents you have a choice - sort out issue or give notice - with office related issues you have to rely on 'systems' and your managers support.

So basically 'the grass is not always greener on the other side' - and in my case childminding is the best option. (Though to be fair some prefer working outside the home - and as dh says 'at least when you went out to work I did not have toys everwhere and pictures / notices stuck on my wall' -so it a matter of personal choice).

Whatever happens - make sure it is the right choice for you based on careful research . And whatever you do decide - Good Luck.

Penny :)

mum22
23-10-2010, 06:07 AM
It took me 9 months to get my first mindee, 4 years later I am now full, but know how stressful it is trying to get the business started, like has been mentioned, step up the advertising, word of mouth is good so tell everyone you know, hope it works out for you.

angeldelight
23-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Good advice from everyone

Sending you big hugs

Hope you are ok

Angel xx

glitzygal
23-10-2010, 10:00 PM
WE ALL have weeks like this,

i have been a minder for 9 years and been busy and have lots of children,

untill july this year, now gone from 8 children to 4, but one is only 2 days a month so as you can see im feeling the buckle tightening more and more,
i am struggling, but i am getting by, finding bill, rent, food, and things for my 2 dd's.

i have had some enquires so things may be looking up.
keep positive and keep looking on the sites, email everyone, something may come up,
fingers crossed