PDA

View Full Version : Help with a painfully shy 9 year old

Bernie
13-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Bit of advise please from you lovely people.

I have got a 9 year old girl coming round tonight with mum to sign contracts. She has been round twice before and has not said a word. She would whisper to her mum (in Gujarati) but wouldn't talk to me or any other children.

Her mum says she is like this (painfully shy) with anybody outside her family. It appears she has used a couple of other CM's in the area but has left them for one reason or another.

I will obviously try and find out from Mum as much as I can (likes, interests, religion, culture etc) but I was just wondering if anybody had any tequiques or tips?

I have been childminding for a few years but I am new to this age range (my two are 2 & 4) and my eldsest mindee is 3. I also have never minded a child of different culture/faith before (we don't live in a very multi cultural town).

Any help please?

xx

JCrakers
13-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Find out what she likes from her Mum and do a bit of research on it. It could be animals or collecting stickers, drawing or music.

say..If she loves horses get her a little pressie to make her feel welcome.Doesnt have to cost much....maybe some little horse stickers or a notepad with a horse on.:Just chat to her...go on about anything you can think of....If youre relaxed then she might be too....She might join in or just prefer to listen.
She might not want to answer questions but you could throw a few in...What Music do you like? What do you like best at school?

Ive got an 8yr old and she loves to draw and make things (she also likes to watch American Trash TV..Like Hannah Montana and Sonny with a chance...but we wont go into that!!:D )

I used to be very shy but was ok 1-1, once i got to know someone. I think she will be fine once she gets to know you.

Good luck
Becky xx

sarah707
13-10-2010, 08:16 PM
Good advice from Bexc!

For older ones I give them a shoe box for their bits and bobs - colouring pencils, puzzle books, current book they are reading etc.

It helps them to feel special and separate from the little ones.

Good luck :D