PDA

View Full Version : Nappy changing

JCrakers
13-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Where does everyone do a nappy change? My Ofsted visit isnt until Aug11 but im always concious of things.

I have a kitchen/diner which is all open (separated by a breakfast bar) and this goes into the conservatory which is the main play room. The children use the dining room for playing and eating.
I have a gate to stop them from entering the kitchen.
My lounge is used for quiet time only which is usually TV/Wii for after schoolies.

At the moment I change nappies on the changing mat on the floor which is in the dining room. Cant do it in the kitchen area obviously and I cant really go to the downstairs loo to do it as theres not enough space in there and I cant supervise the other children.
Is it ideal to change a nappy in the dining room or is Ofsted going to say its unhygeinic? Must add that I dont change nappies while kids are eating. :D

Becky xx

The Juggler
13-10-2010, 01:29 PM
i use my laminate floor in the hall (using a mat). Ofsted were happy by my FCCERS assessment recommended I should do this somewhere private and near running water.

For me that is a risk in terms of supervision so I now have a new policy explaiing why I do it in the hall near the other children rather than out the back where the others could be up to anything (or I have to put other babies in a high chair or playpen every time I change a nappy).

The FCCERS is a lot more tough than the ofsted though.

miffy
13-10-2010, 01:48 PM
It depends on the age of the children to be left unsupervised whilst I'm changing a nappy - if they are 3/4 then I would take the baby to the bathroom and change (live in a bungalow so no stairs and within hearing of the older ones) but if I've younger children then I'd use the front hall/cloakroom so I could keep an eye on everyone.

I think you just have to do your RA and be able to show you've thought things through and explain why you do what you do.

Miffy xx

caz3007
13-10-2010, 02:17 PM
If I have other children here, I pop into my back lounge which doesnt get used for minding, but is registered and change nappies on a mat on the sofa, I cant do the floor, cos of my knees. I cant see whats happening, but can hear everything, so for me its the best option. I didnt have any problem with my recent inspection.

Millenium
13-10-2010, 03:38 PM
I change nappies in my groundfloor cloakroom - fortunately nice and wide and accommodating. I can hear but not see the other children from there and during my inspection needed to do a couple of nappy changes.

I spoke to the inspector after I had done the first one and basically asked if what I was doing was OK by her. Her view was that it was far better from a hygiene point of view to change the nappies where I was with hot and cold running water and soap as opposed to changing them in a communal area such as the hall or living room.

Her response to the children being out of view for a short while was priceless when she said, "Well, you wouldn't go the toilet yourself and leave the door open, so of course they have to be out of view for a short while - you cannot watch over them constantly".

So as long as I took all reasonably practicable steps to reduce risks and remove hazards, I was OK.

gigglinggoblin
13-10-2010, 03:42 PM
I change them on a mat in the living room, I dont have a downstairs loo, the kids dont mind and I prefer to be able to see them. I have the option of the upstairs bathroom if I have children who feel uncomfortable being changed or watching so I said I reassess with each new child or as they develop. No probs from ofsted. As long as you can justify what you do (in a sensible way) you should be fine.

Helcatt
13-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Sounds like m y set up is similar though no conservatory. We step out on to decking hwre a lot of our play is.

I tend to change them in the hall, near to the downstairs loo but also close enough to keep an eye on the others as they are NOT at an age that I feel I can trust them not to kick off. That way they are only out of sight when I pop the nappy in the bin and wash my hands

Ofsted lady was fine with that when I explained my reasoning

HX

Mookins
13-10-2010, 07:25 PM
i have a room under the stairs which used to be my office and its now my nappy changing room with change table, just opposite from the play area so in earshot:D

quite near the front door too so can run out heave gag hurl with nappies:clapping: ;)

xx

babs
13-10-2010, 07:33 PM
i change on living room floor on mat , when ive got 2 babies which ever one isnt getting changed i place in seat or walker so they are out of the way as one lo makes bee line for the other been changed as hes crawling, other children are normally playing happily in play room within earshot

Noomie
13-10-2010, 08:21 PM
I only have my own daughter to change but I change her in her bedroom upstairs. Older children can stay down stairs as long as they are within hearing age. Younger children come up with me. I have toys upstairs for them to play with.

Please tell me though if it's OK that older children (7 and 9) can stay downstairs or in the garden for a couple of mins if I can hear them or I will change my practice. Under 5's usually come with me.

Penny1959
14-10-2010, 02:29 AM
I have just had my Ofsted inspection (last week) I got outstanding and did two nappy changes while inspector here so must meet their requirements.
I change nappies in lounge which is part of play space (other children playing in lounge while changing) I do not have a downstairs clockroom. I use different mat for each child and have trolley with everything to hand next to where I change children. Running water is available in kitchen but have to go through safety gate to get to it - therefore have gel on trolley which I use after nappy change and to give some protection as need to open gate and then turn on tap before can wash hands (I do not wear gloves unless suspected case of 'runs' ie very loose).

As others have said it is a case of justifying what you do and making the best possible choice from the options available. Ofsted do not expect you to do the impossible.

jelly15
14-10-2010, 07:55 AM
Congratulations on your outstanding :clapping:

Mouse
14-10-2010, 08:12 AM
I change nappies on a mat in the hall, just outside the playroom. I can still see & hear the other children playing, but it gives us a bit of privacy & stops the others coming over to "help"!

I have a nappy changing box that has all the equipment I need - nappies, wipes, gloves, nappy sacks, wipes for the mat, hand gel etc, so I have everything I need to hand.

karen48
14-10-2010, 08:39 PM
I have a baby changing unit in the playroom. I am now thinking is it wrong to have the changing unit in the playroom. Do I need to move it so that the other children do not see me changing the other childrens nappies.

karen

Helcatt
14-10-2010, 09:07 PM
I started thinking about where to change them when my DD3 came along a looked at Baby B and started pointing and laughing when I was doing a nappy change

Thought it might be better to ahve a little more privacy

Hx